Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

absolute gold
    cliggg wrote: »
    I don't think they do outside of the odd tweet anyway. Askren even tweeted at Dana (who has Askren blocked btw!) yesterday asking why there hadn't been an announcement yet. Dana has confirmed it in interviews so it is official anyway. This tweet about USADA is interesting too, a fight could potentially be announced at anytime really.

https://twitter.com/damonmartin/status/1056321942461001729?s=21

chances of a fight been announced at the jones v guss press conference tomorrow or the dc v lewis one on the 4th?
    He says no way is he fighting tyron so the belt isn't what he's after. Seems to be very keen on till

dana has said askren will fight a top 5 opponent for his first fight. RDA is already signed up to fight usman. that leaves thompson, lawlor, till and covington.

cant see colby taking anyone but woodley for the belt. thompson and lawlor

thompson coming off a loss to till in may and not sure thompson is a big draw for askren first fight and lawlor hasnt fought in nearly a year and that was a one sided loss to RDA.

that really only leaves till

possibly for the first ppv card next year in Anaheim?

im probably totally wrong but it seems logical to me:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    dana has said askren will fight a top 5 opponent for his first fight. RDA is already signed up to fight usman. that leaves thompson, lawlor, till and covington.

cant see colby taking anyone but woodley for the belt. thompson and lawlor

thompson coming off a loss to till in may and not sure thompson is a big draw for askren first fight and lawlor hasnt fought in nearly a year and that was a one sided loss to RDA.

that really only leaves till

possibly for the first ppv card next year in Anaheim?

im probably totally wrong but it seems logical to me:D:D
    Thompson & Lawlor are probably headlining the first ESPN card in January so I don't think it would be either of them anyway. Till should just move up to middleweight, in his blog the other day he called for him v Conor at 170 with the winner getting a title shot! He should stop damaging his long term health and move up imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,445 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Jesus Christ...this feels like a really bad joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I fear for Chuck

• Registered Users Posts: 11,445 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Those knockouts later in his career have had to do some damage.

And that video of him striking...that can't be real.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The stakes have been raised for Cormier vs. Lewis:

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1057788382502371329?s=21

I wasn’t sure if The Black Beast was going to be motivated enough for his title fight on Saturday, I have no doubts in him now though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

• Registered Users Posts: 39,266 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ASOT wrote: »
    Footage released for this, **** me how was he even able to drive. The man needs help. Aboslute disgrace.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/11/1/18053892/stephan-bonnar-alleged-dui-arrest-body-cam-footage-released

They have him restrained at the start of the video. You can see the garrot on his far wrist, they had clearly just shot him full of heroin. He's being set up. Poor bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭average hero

Hey guys,
    Haven't really heard about this Ben Askren guy so I will do some research on him but for other users on this thread who have seen him in action, what is his style like? Does he potential to be a UFC champion? P4P? Everybody seems to be saying he is an animal grappler - does he beat Khabib in skill-level?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭average hero

Hey guys,
    Haven't really heard about this Ben Askren guy so I will do some research on him but for other users on this thread who have seen him in action, what is his style like? Does he potential to be a UFC champion? P4P? Everybody seems to be saying he is an animal grappler - does he beat Khabib in skill-level?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf

Hey guys,
    I would say he takes Khabib to school all day

As for his style well it's not entertaining. Imagine Rhashad and Jake Shields had a love child

UFC London on Paddy's Day announced just there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Hey guys,

Funky! :D

I'm no grappling expert so might be wrong with some of this. Most of it is from things I've read in the last few years so.

His background is folk style wrestling (someone else will have to explain the difference between this and freestyle because I don't really know what it is :pac:). He's a bit of a legend of the NCAA wrestling scene from his younger days and known for having an unorthodox style. I think he's considered top 10 level by those who know more than me. He's transitioned his style well into MMA. Not much of a striker (probably worse than Khabib (not to suggest Khabib can't throw a punch)) but that doesn't seem to have slowed him down. He's similar to Khabib in that he's just trying to get hold of you and then wear you down to oblivion. He's dominated every league he's been in (Belator and One) but the counter-argument is that the competition in these leagues isn't the same level as those in the UFC. I think he's always fought at 170 which is probably one of the most competitive weight classes in UFC, so it'll be interesting to see what happens. One thing to note is that he's the wrestling coach and good friend of 170 champ Tyrone Woodley and they've both already said they won't fight each other. That's what's making some people wonder if UFC are going to setup a 165 pound weight class (particularly if they wrap up the Flyweight division).

Hard to say what would happen between himself and Khabib but hopefully we'll find out. Khabib fights at 155lb but they're both the same height so a catch weight fight would be possible (165 for example :D). I think we'll get a better idea of what he'll do after a fight or two in the UFC, but I'd say he'll be top 5 in whatever division he fights in. I'm hyped to see the funky one in action in the Octagon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭VW 1

Keep in mind Askren is also subject to hydration testing and as such he cannot cut as much as he would if he was competing in the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

VW 1 wrote: »
    Keep in mind Askren is also subject to hydration testing and as such he cannot cut as much as he would if he was competing in the UFC.

He's a 170er in UFC terms. He fought at 185 in ONE with the hydration testing in place.

He's a 170er in UFC terms. He fought at 185 in ONE with the hydration testing in place.

Yup, you'd think if he was at 185 with no cut he'd have the room to get to 155 tho, or is he just way too big for that? I'd have thought Khabib was cutting from 190 or so, although now im writing it, thats pre-camp and not just pre weigh in.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

ASOT wrote: »
    UFC London on Paddy's Day announced just there.

Every fúcking year. :rolleyes:

I’ll still go :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

Yup, you'd think if he was at 185 with no cut he'd have the room to get to 155 tho, or is he just way too big for that? I'd have thought Khabib was cutting from 190 or so, although now im writing it, thats pre-camp and not just pre weigh in.

Pretty sure he said recently that he wouldn't be able to make 155

xtal191 wrote: »
    Pretty sure he said recently that he wouldn't be able to make 155

Whats his motivation to move to the UFC if he isn't going to make a run at the 170 belt with TWood in situ. Seems strange he would rule out going for that title, and leave no options, unless he is going to try for the 185 belt.

Paully D wrote: »
    Every fúcking year. :rolleyes:

I’ll still go :pac:

Flights costing me **** all from italy, the 02 Hotel is "only" 189e , be handy for the event and trying to meet fighters. Booked it earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Hey guys,
    SiestaBlanketGreyS15

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Whats his motivation to move to the UFC if he isn't going to make a run at the 170 belt with TWood in situ. Seems strange he would rule out going for that title, and leave no options, unless he is going to try for the 185 belt.

I'm wondering that too. He did say he'd only come out of retirement if it was to fight in the UFC. I guess to prove himself or some such. Can't see him going 185 straight away anyway. I figure it's one of 4 things:
    1. He wants to do a few 170 tester fights and then decide if he'll go for the 185 belt.
    2. He's not going to go for the belt but focus on "proving himself" type fights such as against the top 170 contenders and the likes of GSP (unlikely).
    3. They'll announce a 165 division within the year and he do a few 170 fights until then.
    4. Woodley plans on retiring soon and Askren knows this.
    I figure 3 and 4 are the most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

SiestaBlanketGreyS15
    Inaccurate.. That blanket is dry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

What's the chances of Woodley moving up?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

derfderf wrote: »
    What's the chances of Woodley moving up?

None I would say, makes 170 easy and is only about 5'8.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Ben Askren is known for his dad bod, he has plenty of body fat he could shed if he needed to mm I've down in weight

It won't happen but a Nunez and Gus double win would leave be borderline tumescent. Jones and Cyborg are just so unlikeable it's not even funny. In Jones's case it's patiently obvious that it's nothing to with selling the fight. He's actually just that much of a bellend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

It won't happen but a Nunez and Gus double win would leave be borderline tumescent. Jones and Cyborg are just so unlikeable it's not even funny. In Jones's case it's patiently obvious that it's nothing to with selling the fight. He's actually just that much of a bellend.

Arguably the greatest mixed martial artist ever, but also arguably the biggest knob to compete in mixed martial arts.

An absolutely classless human being.

Oh I'm not denying his brilliance, he's just a ****ing arsehole. The whole arrogant, lord of the manor attitude from him yesterday pissed me off. No humility about him whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

xckjoo wrote: »
    Funky! :D

He's dominated every league he's been in (Belator and One) but the counter-argument is that the competition in these leagues isn't the same level as those in the UFC.

Hard to say what would happen between himself and Khabib but hopefully we'll find out. Khabib fights at 155lb but they're both the same height so a catch weight fight would be possible (165 for example :D). I think we'll get a better idea of what he'll do after a fight or two in the UFC, but I'd say he'll be top 5 in whatever division he fights in. I'm hyped to see the funky one in action in the Octagon :)

he beat Douglas Lima by unanimous decision and imo Lima is one of the 10 top if not top 5 welterweights in the world.

He also stopped andrey koreshlov in the 4th by tko(punches).

he is 18-0 in MMA and has good wrestling credentials which imo makes he a nightmare for most welterweights.

Money i would imagine and also if he could win a title at any weight class in the ufc he will become the 1st fight to hold a title in all 3 companies (i might be wrong but cant think of someone who has done it)

jones is unbelievably talented but he is a tramp of a human being. I am happy he is back cause he is exciting to watch however with that been said i hope Guss beats him for a second time.:D

Cyborg i cant take to either and i dont think she is taking nunes serious enough. nunes wanted months to prepare for cyborg cause she knows its a really tough fight. i would not be surprised if nunes is the one to break her rein

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement