Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

cliggg wrote: »
    Exactly, he's angling for a Jones fight at heavyweight because he will never get near light heavyweight again. I can understand why though if he's gonna come back why not try to get the most lucrative fight? That said I think Jones would beat him at either weight.

thats if jones can manage to beat GUSS this time. if he loses again he wont be going straight to a title fight at heavy weight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

Rumble is absolutely massive now, surely he's on the juice these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    thats if jones can manage to beat GUSS this time. if he loses again he wont be going straight to a title fight at heavy weight
    He beat Gus the first time.

xtal191 wrote: »
    Rumble is absolutely massive now, surely he's on the juice these days
    He weighs 285 pounds now according to his manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Half of these fights may not happen, but that's a cracking card . Mendes just announced v volkanski

https://twitter.com/SandhuMMA/status/1059946292019978240

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

Some believe Gus edged it (but yes judges gave it Jones)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

i know he did but in my limited intelligence i felt GUSS beat him in that fight.

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    i know he did but in my limited intelligence i felt GUSS beat him in that fight.
    I get what you mean, it could have went either way really it just depends on what judges are there on the night.

Eddie Alvarez to make his debut in a Lightweight tournament and Demetrious Johnson to make his debut in a Flyweight tournament both in 2019.

Also DJ has been named Chief Brand Ambassador for the new One eSports Championship! Fair play to Mighty Mouse for negotiating this for himself and setting himself up for his post fight career.

https://twitter.com/BrMassami/status/1060064870979104768

https://twitter.com/JakeNicholsMMA/status/1059998502044950528?s=20

Ray Borg out of his fight with Benavidez this weekend, the fight is off. He has pulled out of so many fights at this stage that it's to be expected now.
    Ross Pearson is out of his fight with Joe Duffy in December but I assume there will be no problem finding a replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Lots of buzz online of a title fight between TJ vs Henry at UFC 233 and that the flyweight division is to be scrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Dillashaw v Cejduo & Cruz v Lineker being targeted for 233 in Anaheim. The purist in me is sad to see DJ leave but I won't particularly miss the flyweight division.

Two really good fights there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Flyod pulls out of fight turns out he mislead, meant to be private event for rich people only :confused:
    "I want it to be clear that I, Floyd Mayweather, never agreed to an official bout with Tenshin Nasukawa."

DrbArjbWsAYnqo1.jpg:

https://twitter.com/SandhuMMA/status/1060246628253270019

• Registered Users Posts: 39,266 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Lol. I was gonna suggest that the fight will never go ahead. And Floyd is just taking some marketing money off their hands.
    Nobody had heard of Tenshin a week ago.

Mellor wrote: »
    Nobody had heard of Tenshin a week ago.

Not in mma or boxing circles. But he's well known in Thai and k1 scene, a HUGE name in Japan. Incredible fighter.
    Ryan Sheehan from Cork fought him earlier this year.

Askren v Lawler official for 233. That card is fantastic so far
    Dillashaw v Cejudao for Bantamweight title
    Cruz v Lineker (Backup/No 1 contender fight?)
    Felder v Vick
    Askren v Lawler
    Makhachev v Trinaldo

Jarred Brooks the latest flyweight to get cut.
    https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1060298329404436480

Miesha Tate may be signing with ONE but probably not to fight
    https://twitter.com/ASTJWhitelaw/status/1060034054303580160

Edit: Yeah Miesha is now a Vice President for One Championship! I didn't see that coming at all!
    Busy day in MMA!

Marlon Morares ??

UFC churning out some serious cards over the next few months. Great times ahead.

Marlon Morares ??
    Everybody turned down a fight with him according to Mark Henry
    O1YtjQ9.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,266 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Not in mma or boxing circles. But he's well known in Thai and k1 scene, a HUGE name in Japan. Incredible fighter.
    Ryan Sheehan from Cork fought him earlier this year.
    Yeah of course. Known well in kickboxing. I was talking more in terms of global fame.
    As thats what's translates into PPVs for Rizin.

December is some month for combat sports fans. Wilder v Fury, Holloway v Ortega and Jones v Gus. Can not feckin wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

dulux99 wrote: »
    December is some month for combat sports fans. Wilder v Fury, Holloway v Ortega and Jones v Gus. Can not feckin wait.

Two women title fights are also tasty

UFC 230 did 250000-300000 buys. Down a lot from the 2 previous MSG shows which did 1,300000 and 875000 buys. As well as not being stacked with names recognisable to the casual fan I guess it happening 1 month after the biggest selling MMA PPV of all time was always going to affect it too. It's a shame as I thought of the MSG card as their Wrestlemania.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

The UFC's biggest event of the year is built around International Fight Week in July in Vegas.
    That's the one they talk up the most and stack the card for.

The UFC's biggest event of the year is built around International Fight Week in July in Vegas.
    That's the one they talk up the most and stack the card for.

New year's card is looking the most stacked this year

250-300k isn't blockbuster but you can be sure it was highly highly profitable for them. They'd be happy with that I reckon.

Tony Ferguson with the longest active win streak is ranked 13 on the P4P list, 5 places behind McGregor who is 2-2 in last 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Rankings have always been a sham. Gus put ahead of Jon Jones by a Swedish website that sell shoes!

https://twitter.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1060381521767350272

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Fromvert wrote: »
    Rankings have always been a sham. Gus put ahead of Jon Jones by a Swedish website that sell shoes

Yet you’ll still get people whinging when someone not ranked #1 gets a title shot.

The rankings should be disbanded or at the minimum completely revamped.

If one of us applied to be a member of the panel we’d probably be accepted FFS.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement