Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

FFS Jeremy. The kid didn’t even say anything that bad.

https://twitter.com/lvve_/status/1062332833816084480?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Paully D wrote: »
    Speaking of rankings, look who’s back in at #15!

:pac:

https://twitter.com/talk_fight/status/1062262348835102722?s=21

Is Neil seery out of retirement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Is Neil seery out of retirement?
    No, one of the "journalists" who does the rankings hasn't upated his rankings since Seery was active & because of all the flyweight releases he has climbed back up. There is a very good breakdown of the UFC ranking system here for anyone interested https://www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comments/9wt20b/the_terrible_plight_of_the_ufc_rankings_have_been/

Khabib's autobiography out at the end of the month.
    Gaethje v Pettis in the works for early next year.

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1062352322569871361?s=21

This is the same bloke who has crying about not having a union a couple of years ago! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

he's just being a heel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Some of the Irish amateur lads performing well at the IMMAF World Championships this week. Lee Hammond won his first 3 fights, Sub R1 by Hammoplata (you have to see it), Sub R1 by RNC, Win SD.

Ryan Spillane (Heavyweight, SBG Cork) won his first 2 fights Sub R1 by toe hold, TKO R1, 21seconds.

Paddy Wilkinson (Team Ryano) won his first 2, R1 TKO, UD against defending champ.

Dee Begley (SBG) won her first 2, TKO and UD.

Alexander O'Sullivan (C-Mac) 2 wins

Patrick Lehane (SBG Cork) won today also and Ger Harris (SBG Charelstown still to fight)

Couple of people eliminated, Nate Enright (SBG D24)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Lee Hammond won his first 3 fights, Sub R1 by Hammoplata (you have to see it), Sub R1 by RNC, Win SD.

JK claiming it's the first in MMA.

Mackenzie Dern beat him to it by 2 years.

I think there was a slight difference between the choke in the two of them but very similar alright.

Impressive either way for a 22 year old.

I think there was a slight difference between the choke in the two of them but very similar alright.

Impressive either way for a 22 year old.

It is, but he didn't invent* it (Hi Clark Gracie) and he didn't hit it first in MMA.
    IMMAF level isn't all that high though at the end of the day.
    At 22 if hes seriously considering turning pro it's now or never if he want's to have a decent career.
    If he's just doing it for the craic or focusing on another career and/or college then plug away by all means though.

*invent is the wrong word, it's just movement and control after all, but my brain won't think of a better word right now.

• Advertisement

It is, but he didn't invent* it (Hi Clark Gracie) and he didn't hit it first in MMA.
    IMMAF level isn't all that high though at the end of the day.
    At 22 if hes seriously considering turning pro it's now or never if he want's to have a decent career.
    If he's just doing it for the craic or focusing on another career and/or college then plug away by all means though.

*invent is the wrong word, it's just movement and control after all, but my brain won't think of a better word right now.

Kavanagh was calling it different because it was a head and arm choke rather than a straight neck choke.

Not sure what Hammond's plans are long term. He's another SBG 'prospect', we wait and see if he is considerably better than most of those that have come before him. He looks to have a better mix of stand up and ground game than some of the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Was looking at the clip yesterday, it's a bit of a mad looking sub, the 10p lads would be proud of it.

Some of the Irish amateur lads performing well at the IMMAF World Championships this week. Lee Hammond won his first 3 fights, Sub R1 by Hammoplata (you have to see it), Sub R1 by RNC, Win SD.
    https://twitter.com/IMMAFed/status/1062037445875646464

• Registered Users Posts: 39,266 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Dern's was an imanari choke - omoplata with a RNC. That's not a particularly uncommon way to finish the omoplata.

Lee's was looked to be an omoplata with a head and arm choke. Similar, but the fact it ties up both arms is enough to differentiate it. I don't think I've seen that variation before.

I think I the claim is its first in MMA, not that he invented it (don't know what other word to use either). Lee gave a nod to Clark Gracie too.

https://www.twitter.com/LeeHammond96/status/1061991680696610817

Kavanagh was calling it different because it was a head and arm choke rather than a straight neck choke.

Yeah the arm is in, which is the only difference really. It's cool that in that position it doesn't matter if you can clear the arm or not, if you can get the wrapping hand to your bisep/crook of your elbow it will work, especially with the extra toruque you're creating by pulling the trapped arm away with your legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Grayson can't make weight so has pulled out of the fight with Blaine O'Driscoll. Have to feel for Blaine here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Grayson can't make weight so has pulled out of the fight with Blaine O'Driscoll. Have to feel for Blaine here

From my reading of his statement it's not that he can't make weight it's that he won't make weight as there's no incentive to with the UFCs flyweight division being cut soon. Which is fair enough as id imagine it's a rough cut on the body. He said his dad talked him out of fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

ASOT wrote: »
    From my reading of his statement it's not that he can't make weight it's that he won't make weight as there's no incentive to with the UFCs flyweight division being cut soon. Which is fair enough as id imagine it's a rough cut on the body. He said his dad talked him out of fighting.

Jesus. That is harrowing to read.

Then you have Dillashaw bragging about how he's about to kill a division. The same guy campaigning for a fighters union not long ago. Laughable

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

dulux99 wrote: »
    Jesus. That is harrowing to read.

Then you have Dillashaw bragging about how he's about to kill a division. The same guy campaigning for a fighters union not long ago. Laughable

Yeah at the end of the day I'd say he's right as well, I doubt Graham Boylan the scam artist is paying them well anyway so what's the point in risking damage cuting weight to 125 when theres no option of jumping to the premier promotion?

TJs nothing but a snake in the grass :pac: stupid stuff to be saying, other fighters on Twitter wernt happy.

Also on TJ the time he was moaning was the same time he was crying about his contract going back to 30/30 or something after being champ. Clearly the only reason he was crying for a union was greed and selfish reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,266 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ASOT wrote: »
    The official statement was that he can't make weight.

He's the current chanpion and had a fight booked for two days time. I don't see what sort of extra incentive he needs. It's not like a win was getting him into the UFC either.

It's unfortunate for 125lb fighters in feeder orgs that the UFC are dropping the division. But if his best career is moving to 135. He should have made that move next Monday.
    I don't see how puklingbout two days out improves his chances of getting ahead. In fact I'd say it significantly hurts them.

Maybe something else is hung on here. He's tweeting about crooked business, shady goings on, etc. Could be nonsense though.

• Advertisement

5 Irish fighters completing for gold medals on Saturday:

Paddy Wilkinson (Team Ryano)
    Lee Hammond (SBG HQ)
    Ger Harris (SBG Charlestown)
    Trevor Makengo (C-MAC)
    Ryan Spillane (SBG Cork)

Losing semi finalists today

Dee Begley (SBG HQ)
    Alexander O'Sullivan (C-MAC)
    Patrick Lehane (SBG Cork)

3 years ago today Holly head kick KO’d Ronda.

Still my biggest “what the fúck?” moment in UFC history.

I gave Holly literally no chance.

About 2 seconds after I heard that fight was made I said "Holly Holm will win that fight by KO via headkick & punches at 0:59 of the 2nd round".

Easiest predicition I ever made........

Ten years ago today Lesnar stopped Couture to win the HW title. Days go slow but years go fast. I'm getting old.

That one is a close second to Rockhold v Bisping 2 for me. Only reason being we had seen Bisping fight Rockhold before and it was a total one sided thumping, and Bisping was coming in on short notice.

I drank the Rousey koolaid like most others in the leadup to that fight though. Only earlier today I was watching the clip on JRE where Rogan said to Cowboy how Ronda's striking was elite, and Cowboy literally laughed at him. I love Joe but he doesn't half get carried away sometimes, for a guy seen as one of the most prominent MMA experts ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Silva v Weidman was more of a shock to me

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

dulux99 wrote: »
    Rogan said to Cowboy how Ronda's striking was elite

Quick, somebody get the gif!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Beersmith wrote: »
    Silva v Weidman was more of a shock to me

For me nothing will ever top Bisping knocking out Rockhold on 2 weeks notice

It's gotta be Rose finishing Joanna in 3 minutes for me. Who truly though Rose would win like that? I even liked Cormier's "THUG ROSE!!! THUG ROSE!!!" though a lot of people didn't.

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Yeah everyone thought Rose was a lamb going to the slaughter.

Bisping beating Rockhold was indeed mental. Though as usual Bisping can almost have you convinced he can beat anyone with his talk during the build-up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement