Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

You just can't bate MMA lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Come on now, it wasn't as if rockhold had been a dominant champ for years or anything. Bisping is always in shape so 2 weeks notice isn't a huge deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Interesting interview with Mike Perry on submission radio. Doesn't see eye to eye with winklejon at all. Says he's training partners weren't on his level or putting him in bad positions. Hell only be there for Frank next camp and winklejon won't be near his corner.

Beersmith wrote: »
    Come on now, it wasn't as if rockhold had been a dominant champ for years or anything. Bisping is always in shape so 2 weeks notice isn't a huge deal.

100% .

It was an upset but hardly shocked the world like Holm or Rose.

Weidman pulled off the biggest shock I've whirnessed

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Weidman didn’t shock me one bit, always felt he was going to give Silva a run for his money once he got in the octagon with him, he looked great leading up to his title shot.

TJ at the time was the biggest shock for me, mainly because he dominated a top class fighter like Barao over five full rounds, ending his 32 fight winning streak and I never expected him to get anywhere near his level at that time (the early concussion helped but TJ looked better even before that). It’s obvious now that he’s one of the best in the world, but I don’t think many would’ve predicted he’d ever reach these heights after losing the TUF finale.

• Advertisement

martyos121 wrote: »
    Weidman didn’t shock me one bit, always felt he was going to give Silva a run for his money once he got in the octagon with him, he looked great leading up to his title shot.

TJ at the time was the biggest shock for me, mainly because he dominated a top class fighter like Barao over five full rounds, ending his 32 fight winning streak and I never expected him to get anywhere near his level at that time (the early concussion helped but TJ looked better even before that). It’s obvious now that he’s one of the best in the world, but I don’t think many would’ve predicted he’d ever reach these heights after losing the TUF finale.

Forgot all about TJ. Good shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,791 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

As much as I want to see this, I just know Nick is gonna **** it up somehow and not make the fight...

https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/1063214206495780864?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Perfect fight for him too, Jorge is just a smaller, less talented Nick Diaz in terms of styles.

100% .

It was an upset but hardly shocked the world like Holm or Rose.

Weidman pulled off the biggest shock I've whirnessed

Your logic is somewhat flawed there. Silva was 1/2 to beat Weidman, Rockhold was 1/10 to beat Bisping. Namajunas was 4/1 to beat JJ who was 1/6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

It’ll always be Gonzaga vs Cro Cop for me.

Everything about it was shocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Cro Cop getting Cro Cop'd was a bit unexpected I'll admit.

Think the Rockhold one was more people being delighted he got the smugness knocked off him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Bektic out of his fight with Moicano, he was only just saying a win shoudl get home a little shot earlier in the week, I also didn't realize how much he looks like Freddy Mercury with that tash.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/11/15/18097727/mirsad-bektic-out-ufc-231-fight-renato-moicano

When you consider how the first Rockhold v Bisping fight went, which was a totally uncompetitive beatdown, and his subsequent performances against Machida and Weidman, it was definitely a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

For me it was Royce Gracie choking shamrock. UFC 1

• Registered Users Posts: 29,791 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Zero-Cool wrote: »

What? It’s a fighter completely drained for a weight cut. What’s new here?

Dtp1979 wrote: »

What? It’s a fighter completely drained for a weight cut. What’s new here?
    This one is particularly bad tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,188 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    For me it was Royce Gracie choking shamrock. UFC 1

G'way!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

dulux99 wrote: »
    This one is particularly bad tbf.
    Aspen Ladd's last one was fairly rough as well, although she managed to make weight.

Never nice seeing people go through that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭cletus

MrStuffins wrote: »
    G'way!

I still clearly remember watching Gerard Gordeau kicking Teila Tuli's front tooth onto Jim Brown's desk. It was genuinely shocking, because none of us watching knew what to expect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Any fighter who ever weighs in in that type of condition should never be allowed compete at that weight again. Automatic bump up to the next weight class.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Blast from the past, fight programme from Chaos Fighting Championships 8 in Derry, 2011.

A few of those names went on to big things...

466251.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39,266 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Kron just signed with the UFC.

Kron just signed with the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Interesting. Hasn't fought in, what, 2 years?

Interesting. Hasn't fought in, what, 2 years?

Yeah almost. Will be over 2 years by the time he fights at UFC 233

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Has he changed his opinion on striking? Remember him on Rogan's podcast saying he doesnt practice any striking as BJJ is enough to win in MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,031 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ireland take 3 gold medals at immaf world championship.

Lee Hammond, Ryan Spillane and Ger Harris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Joe Duffy is off the Australia card with a rib injury, he was going to fight Damir Ismagulov from M-1 after Ross Pearson got injured but not anymore. I was looking forward to seeing Joe back again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Anyone watching Cage Warriors 99? Love on BT

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement