Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

dulux99 wrote: »
    How is it a great fight?

Silva, who has repeatedly popped for PEDs, hasn't fought in two years and in his last outing looked slow and cumbersome.

Adesanya is the biggest prospect in the UFC at the minute. I don't understand how people think it is a good fight. Silva is 43 and by the time the fight comes around will be almost 44. This is just a classic case of the UFC propelling someone off an old guys name, and is not a competitive fight.

The old vs the new I love it.

Won't count the crafty veteran old man Silva completely out of this one. Still has tricks up his sleeve.

Interesting card shaping up for UFC 234.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

ricero wrote: »
    The old vs the new I love it.

Won't count the crafty veteran old man Silva completely out of this one. Still has tricks up his sleeve.

Interesting card shaping up for UFC 234.

As a spectacle I understand the allure of old Vs new. But as a sporting contest it's not a good fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

They feed the old to the new in the UFC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

His best win is Brunson. He's going backwards fighting Silva! Would rather see him face a top 5 guy for a shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Yeah if he fights Silva he doesn't, or shouldn't, move in the rankings at all. It's a way for to UFC to justify giving him a title shot without him actually earning it.

Put him in with Weidman, Jacare, or Romero and if he can beat one of them, then you can talk about him figthing the winner of Bobby vs Kelvin when he's actualy earned it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

He's fighting Silva because the UFC, learning from past mistakes, are trying to slowdown/prolong his push. He doesn't need a title fight to get the spotlight or become a star.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Khabib just signed a $1m deal with Gorilla Energy, sorted out a few of his team mates also
    Fair play to him, biggest deal for any Russia sports star ever apprently.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,791 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

ASOT wrote: »
    Khabib just signed a $1m deal with Gorilla Energy, sorted out a few of his team mates also

https://twitter.com/DenisGeykoRT/status/1067120445206482944?s=09

Fair play to him, reminded me of Garth from Wayne's world in those pics.

[IMG]https://productplacementblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Reebok-Mens-Apparel-Wayne’s-World-1.jpg[/IMG]

• Registered Users Posts: 39,264 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'd say that's just Ali's BS tacked on.
    Maria Sharapova was highest paid female in sports. Sponsored by huge brands. She was definitely getting more that.

Edit:
    Google suggest she got $70m from Nike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

https://twitter.com/DenisGeykoRT/status/1067120445206482944?s=09

I'm not familiar with Russian sports star deals but 1m is peanuts. Maria Sharapova has several deals several multiples of that. I'm Shure a few footballers do to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

From the Twitter link

"Russia-based, not just Russian. Sharapova permanently lives in US since she was 7"

Still think that's poop. The likes of Akinfeev, Kokorin, and Dzagoev are huge stars in Russia with multi year deals with sportswear manufacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Still think that's poop. The likes of Akinfeev, Kokorin, and Dzagoev are huge stars in Russia with multi year deals with sportswear manufacturers.

Not to mind Sergey Kovalev who's been in some massive fights over the years. Andrei Arshavin was also one of the hottest prospects in football for a few years, footballers get some insane endorsments.

Just reposting what's in the tweet lads no need to shoot the messenger haha

Oh jaysus, I'm more calling bull**** on Ali (or whoever tweeted it), not having a go at yourself.

Oh jaysus, I'm more calling bull**** on Ali (or whoever tweeted it), not having a go at yourself.

I'm joking I should have used :pac: or soemthing, I taught the haha at the end would be sufficient.

I'm joking I should have used :pac: or soemthing, I taught the haha at the end would be sufficient.

It's early, I can't be decyphering your intent at this hour :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

What do people think of the new layout of the UFC site?
    Preferred the older version without having to scroll through the fight card.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,729 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

His best win is Brunson. He's going backwards fighting Silva! Would rather see him face a top 5 guy for a shot

UFC will promote the sh*t out of the fight as the Old versus the New , and how he is the man to take over Anderson's throne as the flashy exciting middle weight ,

The commentator will mention how he is so like Silva in his youth about 50 times during the fight, The new Anderson will be born

Causal fans will love it ,and a new star is born

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

If you ever needed more proof that Brendan Schaub and Bryan Callen are two complete and utter morons, watch them on Rogan talking about the American missionary who was killed by the indigenous tribe on the island in the Indian Ocean. Absolute ****tards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,031 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'm not familiar with Russian sports star deals but 1m is peanuts. Maria Sharapova has several deals several multiples of that. I'm Shure a few footballers do to.

For an energy drink its fairly big I'd say. Mcgregor's deal with Monster up until recently was only 50k a year.

Its money for jam anyway, you just making the odd instagram post about them and pictures of you with their product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

If you ever needed more proof that Brendan Schaub and Bryan Callen are two complete and utter morons, watch them on Rogan talking about the American missionary who was killed by the indigenous tribe on the island in the Indian Ocean. Absolute ****tards.

Not a brain between them. Brendan Schaubs opinion changes like the weather.

He's a talking head.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭VW 1

Callan loves to waffle on quoting professors and authors etc etc and more often than not is revealed to be talking in no more than soundbites when he speaks to anyone with any knowledge.

I think i managed to listen to two or three of their podcasts before permanently unsubscribing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Schaub mightn't be the sharpest tool in the box when it comes to stuff like that but in general I do find him funny

Throw up a link there.

Throw up a link there.

"Satanists"

"They can't be that isolated if it's in a bay"

Jesus those two are retarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

It looks like Andre Fili will be Kron Gracie's opponent in January. Rachel Ostovich is still fighting Paige in January too, she got a second opinion from another doctor and is cleared to fight.

Kron gon snatch that long neck up real quick.

• Advertisement

cliggg wrote: »
    It looks like Andre Fili will be Kron Gracie's opponent in January. Rachel Ostovich is still fighting Paige in January too, she got a second opinion from another doctor and is cleared to fight.

PVZ has proven that, limited as she is, she's tough and talented enough that she deserves her place on the roster.

Ostovich has nothing though. She was poor on possibly the worst TUF in history.

Still, best looking fight, probably ever, in the octagon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement