Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,956 ✭✭✭cletus

ASOT wrote: »
    What's the point in fighting if it's not for the belt though, he should have cut the lb imo.

Seems strange all right. Did he weigh in after the two boys? Wonder did he just think they've both made weight so **** it, take his standby money

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

cletus wrote: »
    He was in America when he posted about "disgusting" hip hop concerts happening in Dagestan. No audience to kowtow to.

Can we assume from your above post, though, that it's no longer banter?

Why are you talking about hip hop concerts? What does that have to do with the question he was asked in Saudi?

I'm not sure what your asking/assuming. Did khabib say his comments as a joke?

If that is what your asking/assuming then like I already said IMO he wanted no part of that question because there is no right answer. How could someone not from Saudi give advice on things in Saudi? Are women allowed to train MMA in Saudi? Is "get on a plane and get out of here" an appropriate response?

Look at the way he avoided the questions when McG was talking politics during the press conference. McG was pushing him to give an answer and not a hope Khabi was gonna say anything to piss off any of the big players.

Do people not realise the country that is being talked about?

WWE was over there recently and couldn't bring any female wrestlers and that's a pg product aimed mainly at kids.

I still want to know what McG/DC/Mighty mouse/anyone would have said in the same setting?

JJayoo wrote: »
    Why are you talking about hip hop concerts? What does that have to do with the question he was asked in Saudi?

I'm not sure what your asking/assuming. Did khabib say his comments as a joke?

If that is what your asking/assuming then like I already said IMO he wanted no part of that question because there is no right answer. How could someone not from Saudi give advice on things in Saudi? Are women allowed to train MMA in Saudi? Is "get on a plane and get out of here" an appropriate response?

Look at the way he avoided the questions when McG was talking politics during the press conference. McG was pushing him to give an answer and not a hope Khabi was gonna say anything to piss off any of the big players.

Do people not realise the country that is being talked about?

WWE was over there recently and couldn't bring any female wrestlers and that's a pg product aimed mainly at kids.

I still want to know what McG/DC/Mighty mouse/anyone would have said in the same setting?

He made ultra conservative comments regarding women, the position taken is that he had no choice because of his location. I'm simply pointing out that he made similarly conservative comments regarding hip hop while in America, the location not being an issue.

You liked a comment by ricero stating that he thought it was banter, i.e. a bit of craic. I'm trying to establish if you still think this way.

Personally, I'm not convinced that it's not a view he actually holds, but either way I found the comments distasteful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Seems strange all right. Did he weigh in after the two boys? Wonder did he just think they've both made weight so **** it, take his standby money
    Yeah he was the last to weigh in, it is often said by fighters that the last pound of a cut is probably the hardest one to cut so it's understandable why he wouldn't want to do it really.
    VW 1 wrote: »
    He could still fight, just not for the belt.

Did Max look to be in good shape physically? Hoping him and Ortega are both as fit as can be for tomorrow, should be a real cracker.
    He looked skinny and a bit pale but that is normal for a lot of fighters, here is the weigh in video. Though as Max himself said yesterday he can't understand the fuss as he has never missed weight before excluding the Khabib fight which was short notice plus he didn't relly miss weight for that he just wasn't allowed to keep cutting.

https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/1071053314870181891

He made ultra conservative comments regarding women, the position taken is that he had no choice because of his location. I'm simply pointing out that he made similarly conservative comments regarding hip hop while in America, the location not being an issue.

You liked a comment by ricero stating that he thought it was banter, i.e. a bit of craic. I'm trying to establish if you still think this way.

Personally, I'm not convinced that it's not a view he actually holds, but either way I found the comments distasteful.

In regards to location not being an issue how can you possibly compare America to Saudi? It's a terrible place that is protected from international scrutiny because of its oil.

• Advertisement

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/12/7/18130060/floyd-mayweather-tenshin-nasukawa-rule-set-rizin-14-exhibition-matchup-boxing-mma-news

So, Floyd Vs Tenshin

3x3 minute rounds
    Straight boxing
    8oz boxing gloves
    No judges
    147 lbs

Full contact bout, but not to go on records.

Ala Chael, wouldn't be surprised to see them raising Tenshin's hand regardless :D

JJayoo wrote: »
    In regards to location not being an issue how can you possibly compare America to Saudi? It's a terrible place that is protected from international scrutiny because of its oil.

Sorry, my point was that when he made the comment, he was in America, so the pressure of being in Saudi was not there, yet he still made the comments of his own volition

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Paully D wrote: »
    He loves to have a go at Woodley! Dana was typically bullish in that whole interview, I read a breakdown of it today which I'll post here. I laughed when it was suggested Sage Northcutt wasn't released instead he chose not to re-sign and Dana said "I can keep anybody I want to keep". One good thing I'll say about Dana is that he never fails to entertain.
    • On the tone deaf optics of having Rachael Ostovich and Greg Hardy on the same card
    Greg Hardy will absolutely remain on the card, he has rehabilitated himself and rebuilt his life. Rachael is totally cool with this. Rachael gave me 75 reasons why she needed to be on this fight, if you want to make it an issue you can make it and issue but this is NOT an issue with Rachael and that is all that matters to me.

Adds that Hardy didn't do ANYTHING to Rachael Ostovich so it doesn't matter anyways, different story and that the UFC has her complete support because she believes in second chances and her story is not his story.
    • On moving Dillashaw/Cejudo from UFC 233 and into UFC Brooklyn
    We've been working on all these cards and moving people around, this was perfect, absolute perfect time for the fight.
    • On whether Dillashaw/Cejudo could save the division
    Listen I don't know, we are going to China and Mexico, building performance institute after performance institute and we are going to find ALOT of smaller people, men and women OK? and who knows, we'll see how this thing plays out... If someone turns into a huge star maybe, who knows...
    • On Joanna and Shevchenko

This was the fight to make, we didn't rush it, it's the fight that needs to happen.

• On Max Holloway and Brian Ortega

I love everything about this fight, biggest win streak in the division BOTH STUDS

• On rumors that this is the last season of 'The Ultimate Fighter'

No, listen, we are not scheduled for another season on TV but will continue to do the ultimate fighter and put it on fight pass, maybe it will be on TV maybe not, who knows, we'll see...

• On Chuck, Tito and Oscar De La Hoya

They were in over their heads when they started, Oscar De La Hoya is not a very bright guy, and Tito *laughs* let's not even talk about Tito. I felt bad for Dhuck dealing with those two dummies, it is what it is you know? Chuck is a grown man and can do what he wants, I did talk to him, he is grown.

• On Zuffa Boxing

I've been taking my time and doing the right moves, I AM GETTING INVOLVED IN BOXING and will not do it like Oscar did, I will not dive in headfirst, it will not be the disaster that was Chuck vs. Tito. At the end of the day I can do a better job than they do, all of them at boxing.

• On whether UFC should move away from the PPV model

We have nothing but stacked cards to fill up every PPV, why would we be going away from the PPV model when we are still killing it and having the biggest PPVs in the history of PPVs EVER. Listen, YOU let ME worry about that OK?

• On whether he feels betrayed by Sage Northcutt leaving the UFC

Listen, this wasn't the Sage Northcutt decision to leave on his own, this was a decision on BOTH SIDES, it was the right thing and right move for him and me, he is going to do well financially yeah, but listen I can keep anyone I want to keep OK? This was the right move for both of us, definitely the right move for him, definitely the right move for me, I like the kid, great move by both of us.

• If he thinks there is a great Canadian talent out there that can be champion

I can't think of anyone off the top of my head, can't answer that question. GSP is not interested in fighting, he is sitting back thinking about his perfect fights and that is just not what we do.

• On the rumored 165lb division

Not even thinking about it, not gonna happen, absolutely false.

Lets say they create the 165 division, would they be able to make some kind of tournament/TUF style program with existing fighters to welcome in the division? Or how would they bring the division into play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Woodley is one of the few who stands up to Dana. Bullies hate when someone stands up to them.

"Listen, this wasn't the Sage Northcutt decision to leave on his own, this was a decision on BOTH SIDES."

Okay, Dana, whatever you say! :rolleyes::pac:

Fact is, the UFC isn't the be all and end all any more and many fighters outside of the elite can earn more elsewhere, especially with the sponsorship earning opportunities they have too.

Sage was on $60k/$60k with the UFC though, a very decent (relatively) contract for a guy who isn't even ranked. But based on what Bellator are paying he could probably get $100k flat plus kill it in sponsorship over there too.

"Listen, this wasn't the Sage Northcutt decision to leave on his own, this was a decision on BOTH SIDES."

Fact is, the UFC isn't the be all and end all any more and many fighters outside of the elite can earn more elsewhere, especially with the sponsorship earning opportunities they have too.

Sage was on $60k/$60k with the UFC though, a very decent (relatively) contract for a guy who isn't even ranked. But based on what Bellator are paying he could probably get $100k flat plus kill it in sponsorship over there too.
    Haha FFS. like when one of your mates says the breakup with his Mrs was a mutual decision.

He has already signed with One and they are throwing money around like crazy so I'd say he'll be do very well and fair play to him for that. Ariel posted a video last week saying that UFC couldn't match One's offer so they offered Sage a headline Fight Night card against a top 10 opponent, it was revealed after he signed that the opponent was Demian Maia :eek:.
    Here is Ariel's video and you can see and hear the glee he has exposing Dana's lies
    https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1067912528011948034?lang=en

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Watched the bull**** weigh-ins there with the face offs.

First time seeing Joanna not being a dick to her opponent.

Guess it's hard not be humble when she's beaten you a few times already?

Askren offering to fight Usman for the interim belt? He called him out on instagram too.
    According to this Brian guy the plan would be (if it happens of course) Askren fights Usman for the interim belt, Woodley fights Colby for the main belt and if Ben & Tyron both win then Woodley vacates and goes up to Middleweight.

https://twitter.com/FrontRowBrian/status/1071115391416631296

Watched the bull**** weigh-ins there with the face offs.

First time seeing Joanna not being a dick to her opponent.

Guess it's hard not be humble when she's beaten you a few times already?
    Joanna seemed giddy at that, I don't recall ever seeing her that happy and smiley at weigh-ins before. I was surprised to see Joanna is taller than Valentina I just assumed it would be the other way. That being said Valentina is built like a fecking tank.

Don’t want to post it up here as it’s so disgusting, but go on Twitter and search noted MMA journalist Iain Kidd’s name.

Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Don’t want to post it up here as it’s so disgusting, but go on Twitter and search noted MMA journalist Iain Kidd’s name.

Jesus.

How did that go under the radar for so long, scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

cliggg wrote: »
    Askren offering to fight Usman for the interim belt? He called him out on instagram too.
    According to this Brian guy the plan would be (if it happens of course) Askren fights Usman for the interim belt, Woodley fights Colby for the main belt and if Ben & Tyron both win then Woodley vacates and goes up to Middleweight.

i would say that alone would be enough to convince dana to take the risk

dont see why dana is complaining about woodley not fighting. he has fought the same amount this year as tj, whittaker, rose and max and he aint bitching about any of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Jesus.

his twitter account is gone but front row sports has the story.

disgusting

So I see that FRB broke the story on twitter yesterday, and the newspaper articles are from September, but they make no mention of MMA or journalism, just that he owned a software company. Is it definitely the same Iain Kidd

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

So I see that FRB broke the story on twitter yesterday, and the newspaper articles are from September, but they make no mention of MMA or journalism, just that he owned a software company. Is it definitely the same Iain Kidd

It's him. Apparently his profile page online listed that he was an MMA writer for Bloody Elbow and also owner of the same software company listed in the reports.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm not on twitter so what's the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I'm not on twitter so what's the story?

Just google Iain kidd mma and you’ll see the links, he was in court in Glasgow after been found with a heap of child abuse photos and videos

He was caught in June, it would seem, and the court case was September, but he was doing the three amigos podcast up until last week

Cerrone vs Hernandez in January. No McGregor fight next for Cowboy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

dulux99 wrote: »
    Cerrone vs Hernandez in January. No McGregor fight next for Cowboy
    Good, I fúcking hate Cowboy

D'Agger wrote: »

Reported

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

D'Agger wrote: »

I just took my phone out of my pocket, I think I may have reported this post accidently so apologies to mods if so

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement