Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Edgar mauled Yair 18 months ago, he'd do the same again. He's exactly the wrong style matchup for him.

If I was Yair or his team I'd be doing everything I could to keep him away from Zabit, Edgar and Mendes. Anyone who can wrestle basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Zabit would hit that trip on yair all day long and maul him imo. Chaps a freak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Zabit vs Yair is one of the best match ups available in MMA at the moment imo. They've tried to put it together twice and failed but hopefully we see it soon.

dulux99 wrote: »
    Zabit vs Yair is one of the best match ups available in MMA at the moment imo. They've tried to put it together twice and failed but hopefully we see it soon.

Zabit would maul Yair. It would not be any sort of contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭VW 1

I'd such high hopes for Yair after he displayed a huge range of skills vs an admittedly past it BJ but it doesn't seem like he's getting to fhatttop echelon of fighters at all.

• Advertisement

What do we think are the odds of Frankie taking a fight at 135 seeing as that division is a bit stagnant now and Cruz is out for a year. Like after TJ mauls Henry at 125 next month, who does he fight at 135? Frankie regularly weighs less in the ring than some bantam weights and only cuts like 3 lbs to make 145, he could hit 135 easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

What do we think are the odds of Frankie taking a fight at 135 seeing as that division is a bit stagnant now and Cruz is out for a year. Like after TJ mauls Henry at 125 next month, who does he fight at 135? Frankie regularly weighs less in the ring than some bantam weights and only cuts like 3 lbs to make 145, he could hit 135 easy.

Marlon Moraes deserves a shot he can't be overstepped by Edgar surley? Tj v Edgar is one of those fights I never knew I wanted to see though. Great fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Lockharts interview with rogan he said his dream is to get Edgar to 135 said it should be easy enough but would never ask Frankie but he would be well on board for it

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

fitzparker wrote: »
    Lockharts interview with rogan he said his dream is to get Edgar to 135 said it should be easy enough but would never ask Frankie but he would be well on board for it

Frankie can 100% make 135 lbs Lockhart will 100% get him there. 100% 100% 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Frankie can 100% make 135 lbs Lockhart will 100% get him there. 100% 100% 100%

He can defo do it but Lockhart won't push him and is just waiting on Frankie to give the green light

• Advertisement

So as expected Jones turned down the VADA testing recommendation :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,790 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

ASOT wrote: »

:)

https://twitter.com/TommyToeHold/status/1072587606427385856?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 39,260 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Isn't very VADA just voluntary usada?

Does it test for anything extra or just more disruption to camp?

Mellor wrote: »

Id imagine they would both test for the same stuff but I'm not certain I'd need to look into it.

It's hardly that much of a disruption though is it? Especially with the past Jon's had he should have took it up imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Mellor wrote: »

The testing is the same. The relationship with the promoting organisation (the UFC) is very different however.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I think people can give Jones shít here but ultimately it's voluntary testing, he doesn't have to do it. He was advised to complete it for image/reputation purposes but at this stage his career is going to have a permanent asterix next to it so why bother. Perhaps he's embracing his gigantic inner díckhead and going full on not giving a fúck instead of this nice guy shít you see him try every time he's been in trouble.

Watched the first fight with Gus - on youtube free fight, 1080p, was glorious - what a fight, so many elbows :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

48414077_1908489309206877_5322250974155243520_n-jpg.3693

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

dc named espn 3rd most dominant athlete of 2018. well deserved imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    dc named espn 3rd most dominant athlete of 2018. well deserved imo

Most dominant athlete is a strange one. Who was 1 and 2?

DC beat stipe and an easy opponent in Lewis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/25460098/simone-biles-chloe-kim-lebron-james-most-dominant-athletes-2018

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

a kenyan runner was second

and a gymnast from usa

Pointless, if interesting exercise.

Can't be arsed reading it all or how they assessed it but hard to argue with Biles at #1. I don't think there's ever been an elite sportsperson who is so much better than all the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,468 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

D'Agger wrote: »
    I think people can give Jones shít here but ultimately it's voluntary testing, he doesn't have to do it. He was advised to complete it for image/reputation purposes but at this stage his career is going to have a permanent asterix next to it so why bother. Perhaps he's embracing his gigantic inner díckhead and going full on not giving a fúck instead of this nice guy shít you see him try every time he's been in trouble.

Watched the first fight with Gus - on youtube free fight, 1080p, was glorious - what a fight, so many elbows :eek:

Agree, the only time I hate Jones is when he pretends to be nice.

I think he will beat Gus definitively this time.

Pointless, if interesting exercise.

Can't be arsed reading it all or how they assessed it but hard to argue with Biles at #1. I don't think there's ever been an elite sportsperson who is so much better than all the competition.

Prime Tiger maybe?

That said, I'm not overly familiar with her domination of gymnastics apart from seeing what she did at the last Olympics in Rio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭finglashoop

VW 1 wrote: »
    Prime Tiger maybe?

That said, I'm not overly familiar with her domination of gymnastics apart from seeing what she did at the last Olympics in Rio.

Was there a more dominant player/athlete than tiger in his prime?

Thats what I'm putting forward, not sure tbh. He beat all around him for quite a while.

Perhaps Tiger was that much better than everybody else but I'm not sure, because of the nature of golf, he was as dominant as Biles is. She literally does stuff her rivals aren't physically capable of matching.

Back to the MMA, I'm not sure DC belongs in 3rd place on the list. Great achievements from him alright but it's such a competitive sport that I'm not sure it's possible to say he's anywhere close to the 3rd most dominant athlete on the planet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Perhaps Tiger was that much better than everybody else but I'm not sure, because of the nature of golf, he was as dominant as Biles is. She literally does stuff her rivals aren't physically capable of matching.

They had to try tiger proof every course. He changed the whole sport.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement