Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭ThePott

Thought Meltzer's breakdown of this was bang-on

What a farce this situation is, UFC should hang their heads in shame.

EDIT- Video link working again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

ThePott wrote: »

Thought Meltzer's breakdown of this was bang-on

What a farce this situation is, UFC should hang their heads in shame.

Video is gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Frank Mir had a great post on the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭ThePott

Video is gone?

Should be working again now, think it was down but is back up. Edited my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Big Fran v Sea Level Cain official for Feb 17ths Fight Night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

ASOT wrote: »

excited for this fight. glad to see cain back

• Registered Users Posts: 29,836 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Would love to see Cain come back as a contender but it's impossible to tell how he's gonna be. I'd love to see him fight Stipe if he handles Fran but Fran is an awful 'welcome back' fight. Would prefer to see him against someone a bit handier first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Sea level cain is a most wonderful thing. The world isnt ready for sea level cain to return.

Usman fighting for the WW strap at 235.....white wont confirm against who though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

So the massive elephant in the series finally reared its head in Embedded Ep 3. There's no way in hell Gus and his team meet with Dana and Novitsky in front of the Embedded crews. Completely staged bollox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Flyer29

So the massive elephant in the series finally reared its head in Embedded Ep 3. There's no way in hell Gus and his team meet with Dana and Novitsky in front of the Embedded crews. Completely staged bollox.

Was thinking the exact same. Was filmed just to paint Dana in a good light with his ‘this decision is not about me’ rubbish.

He popped for a banned substance. Getting in aload of experts to explain why it’s not performance enhancing to Gustafsson is such an insult to the man and the wider MMA community.

The fact is that he was caught with a banned substance, the commission won’t sanction it, that’s it Dana. The fights off. Accept that these things happen in sports and in massive organizations all over the world and sometimes you have to take it on the chin and cut your losses.

Moving the fight down the road and putting so many people out sums up how much of a circus the UFC has sadly become

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Yeah once Gus and the other guys got off the helicopter and were having the private conversation and what followed, this was my thinking.

Fcuk the UFC, usada.

Being totally honest here, comier looking for a fight against the roid head (lesner) doesn't put him imo in a good light regards this whole "roids are bad" he is taking. He is basically saying advocating it because it makes sense in the realms of money, just like the slant the UFC is taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,326 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

JJayoo wrote: »
    Frank Mir had a great post on the issue
    Maybe we're talking about different posts, But the post I seen from Mir's post made no sense.
    He's complaining that USADA are reconsidering the time T-Bol metabolites linger. Trying to suggest that if they've reconsidered, he was innocent and they ruined his career by banning him.
    Regardless of how long it was lingering Frank, you still took steroids.

id value his post much more if he actually spoke honestly about how much he took, and when he took it in regards detection times

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

https://twitter.com/dimspace/status/1078400250509955079?s=21

How the **** do they keep getting away with this?

Paully D wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/dimspace/status/1078400250509955079?s=21

How the **** do they keep getting away with this?

How does Tom Lawlor get a 2 year ban for 17 pecograms yet Jones is getting away with it? Fairly sure Mirs was an amount that low also.

they need to bring in mcgregor....the man is an expert on gram's now

many thoughts on the jones issue after watching BTB, nivitzky on rogan and the press conference

schaub made the point on btb that the ufc has had a bad year and needed the fight to happen this year

nivitzky while coming across well and sounding convincing i just smell a rat. he mentioned several times it wasn't micro dosing but also says there was multiple tests that failed which might look like micro dosing.

the press conference was a bit of a joke tbh. dana kept telling everyone to talk to nivitzky and wouldnt answer any questions on it and stopped jones from answering.

the woman asking the continuous questions that john refused to answer was a joke not one got answered.

the whole situation is a joke regardless of the size of what was found he still took something at some stage.

i hope gus asked for a pay increase to keep the fight on and i hope he smashes jons and gets a ko (i know it wont happen)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

How does Tom Lawlor get a 2 year ban for 17 pecograms yet Jones is getting away with it? Fairly sure Mirs was an amount that low also.
    Jonesbjust served a ban for the same subtance. They are saying the positive is a trace amounts from that infraction. Same as if somebody had two positives close together, like in camp and fight night.

Lawlor and Mir both only popped once and we're rightfully banned. The amount is irrelevant in that case, there's no previous infraction to pin it on.

Jones is a scumbag and a liar. So people are never going to believe the above story. But on the other side, the M3 test is pretty new and the testers don't know what the upper limit of detection is. Or if they do, they want to keep that information close to their chest.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Jonesbjust served a ban for the same subtance. They are saying the positive is a trace amounts from that infraction. Same as if somebody had two positives close together, like in camp and fight night.

Lawlor and Mir both only popped once and we're rightfully banned. The amount is irrelevant in that case, there's no previous infraction to pin it on.

Jones is a scumbag and a liar. So people are never going to believe the above story. But on the other side, the M3 test is pretty new and the testers don't know what the upper limit of detection is. Or if they do, they want to keep that information close to their chest.

What I'm getting at Mellor is the tests showing the substance back in August, first he showed 9 pecograms then in another August test 19 pecograms, 19 pecograms in September then it disappears until December where they find 60-80 pecograms. Surely that's a sign of microdosing or some form or reingestion if the found amount goes up?

Frank Mir asked could his pop be from a previous ingetion and was flat out told no the window of reingestion would have had to be in the last few months and then was banned.

It's all just a bit two fishy. One rule for one and a different for others. The fact the substance has been found in tests at different amounts and nothing is being done is ridiclou. But look I'm not a scientist so maybe I don't understand how all this works.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Novitzky is a disgrace. He was brought in to clean up the sport and here he is signing a tune for Dana White and Jon Jones. A complete shill.

White at the press conference repeatedly - 'ask Novitzky' I'm sorry but why is he going to bat for Jones exactly? What kind of alternate reality have we stumbled into.

What I'm getting at Mellor is the tests showing the substance back in August, first he showed 9 pecograms then in another August test 19 pecograms, 19 pecograms in September then it disappears until December where they find 60-80 pecograms. Surely that's a sign of microdosing or some form or reingestion if the found amount goes up?
    I was talking about the "residual detection" only not the fluctuation. I agree the fluctuations look dodgy. Are these blood or urine tests? If urine, It's not the total level in his body but the level per ml of urine. If your dehydrated levels per mo increase (Nick Diaz weed results).
    The 18 months later is a much bigger flag for me.
    Frank Mir asked could his pop be from a previous ingetion and was flat out told no the window of reingestion would have had to be in the last few months and then was banned.
    I got that, but what's his point? If it was a previous ingestion. Even if it was from 2 years previous. It's still a failed test and a ban.
    (Unless he has an explanation for taking it 2 years ago obviously)

I was talking about the "residual detection" only not the fluctuation. I agree the fluctuations look dodgy. Are these blood or urine tests? If urine, It's not the total level in his body but the level per ml of urine. If your dehydrated levels per mo increase (Nick Diaz weed results).
    The 18 months later is a much bigger flag for me.

I haven't looked into what way the tests where administered i'm just going off what the golden snitch said on JRE. It all just seems off to me, especially the below quote from himself.

“These experts said based on these low levels of picograms, there’s no performance-enhancing benefit, and that’s an important point,”
    I got that, but what's his point? If it was a previous ingestion. Even if it was from 2 years previous. It's still a failed test and a ban.
    (Unless he has an explanation for taking it 2 years ago obviously)

Id imagine what he was getting at was that the residual metabolite he popped for could have been from his years of legal TRT use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

His argument though Mellor is the Jones tainted supplement one. He's suggesting supplements he took way back when could have caused the adverse finding but USADA insisted it could only be a recent ingestion and thus wouldn't test any supplements from further back (that he would then have time to find/make up/invent)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

The whole thing is such a sh*tshow. I am glad the fight is going ahead but it's just been such an embarrassing episode for the ufc. I feel so sorry for the people who've travelled for this event , I've seen a good few Irish people have made the trip and even if they've got tickets and accomodation sorted in LA it still won't be half the trip it should have been. Most of LA is a kip, Vegas is magical.

His argument though Mellor is the Jones tainted supplement one. He's suggesting supplements he took way back when could have caused the adverse finding but USADA insisted it could only be a recent ingestion and thus wouldn't test any supplements from further back (that he would then have time to find/make up/invent)

That makes alot more sense thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Are USADA not saying new resting techniques are now leading them to understand what they said back then was wrong and trace elements can be detected long after ingestion?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,639 ✭✭✭✭walshb

This latest Jones "fail" is a crock of sh1t, and just shows how ridiculous some of this PEDs in sports is....

It will get to a point where athletes can't eat or drink fooking anything

If you look and look and look and look, you might just find "something."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

walshb wrote: »
    This latest Jones "fail" is a crock of sh1t, and just shows how ridiculous some of this PEDs in sports is....

It will get to a point where athletes can't eat or drink fooking anything

If you look and look and look and look, you might just find "something."

Jones failed a drug test In each of his last 4 scheduled fights. Why is it only Jon Jones that 'eats or drinks' these drugs?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement