Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Jones failed a drug test In each of his last 4 scheduled fights. Why is it only Jon Jones that 'eats or drinks' these drugs?

He is eating and drinking the same as his NFL brothers that got caught with the same drugs in there system. Just need a to stop eating family dinners ;) . Only fight no drugs found was OSP and that fight was not great to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Tubbs4 wrote: »
    He is eating and drinking the same as his NFL brothers that got caught with the same drugs in there system. Just need a to stop eating family dinners ;) . Only fight no drugs found was OSP and that fight was not great to watch.

Must be the mothers cooking so haha

• Registered Users Posts: 39,259 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ASOT wrote: »
    “These experts said based on these low levels of picograms, there’s no performance-enhancing benefit, and that’s an important point,”
    Well that's obviously bull****.
    Detecting picogram means somebody likenynhad milligrams in his system at some point.
    Id imagine what he was getting at was that the residual metabolite he popped for could have been from his years of legal TRT use.
    Nope. His TRT use would have been testosterone, not a oral steroid favoured by eastern soviet dopers.
    His argument though Mellor is the Jones tainted supplement one. He's suggesting supplements he took way back when could have caused the adverse finding but USADA insisted it could only be a recent ingestion and thus wouldn't test any supplements from further back (that he would then have time to find/make up/invent)
    We all know the tainted supplement excuse is BS though. And even if it actually was a tainted supplement, he still would have been banned.
    I honestly don't see what difference Mir thinks this "new information" changes about his situation.

Afaik, the "6 month window" comes from speculation on the detection times by Rodchenkov. Which is why USADA tested 6 months of supplements fir Mir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Only realised now, USADA stopped announcing athletes who failed a test back In August. Jons failed tests. They really are bending over backwards for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,789 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Comment under a youtube video where Jones was talking through his hoop defending himself:
    "I did not have sexual relations with that picogram"

I have flip flopped between loving/hating Jones over the years. For this fight, as much as a horrible person that he is, I was hoping he would win the fight. The presser last night completely changed my mind. War Gus!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Jeff Novitsky: “I don’t know, I'm not an expert, my background is in accounting and finance.”

We’ll leave it there, so.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Dodgy. As. Fcuk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Must be at least 20 minutes on this podcast that both Rogan and Novitsky have spent trying to justify how impartial they are re: UFC/USADA :pac:

I'm no supplement/roid expert but this to me sounds like guys will be trying to take advantage of this model.

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1078752528022392832?s=19

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I'm no supplement/roid expert but this to me sounds like guys will be trying to take advantage of this model.

This doesn't make any sense. If it's not on the banned list then surely it's fine. So, what's the difference between being on the approved list and not being on the banned list?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

The worst part for me is the UFC/Dana hiding behind all these supposed nameless faceless "experts." According to Dana they've consulted with all of the world's top experts who agree there's nothing untoward going on. Why not name some of them and their credentials?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

dulux99 wrote: »
    The worst part for me is the UFC/Dana hiding behind all these supposed nameless faceless "experts." According to Dana they've consulted with all of the world's top experts who agree there's nothing untoward going on. Why not name some of them and their credentials?

Novitsky names 3 experts in his media interview after the official with ins yesterday morning.

I've watched the 30 odd minutes of the interview and it's a very good watch. In my opinion Novitsky is being very genuine, honest and forthcoming in his answers. He also explains how WADA are having similar issues with their testing (similar issues across NFL and Olympians) and how WADA are reviewing their own guidelines re testing limits. Supposedly they are considering not disregarding any findings below 50 picograms. Their current guidelines state 2 nanograms (which would be 2000 picograms) however as labs are able to detect way lower than that now they have been charging people at these lower levels.

He also explains the differences with Frank Mir and Tom Lawlor and talks about short term, mid term and long term metabolites found in the body from ingestion of turnibol.

Well worth a watch for all the online experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

The CSAC didn't know about the adverse findings prior to his licensing hearing, everything about this is so dodge.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/12/28/18159636/csac-was-not-given-jon-jones-adverse-finding-information-before-december-hearing

ASOT wrote: »
    The CSAC didn't know about the adverse findings prior to his licensing hearing, everything about this is so dodge.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/12/28/18159636/csac-was-not-given-jon-jones-adverse-finding-information-before-december-hearing

I think USADA only have an obligation to inform the state where a fight is licenced. When Jones failed the earlier tests he wasn't scheduled to fight so no athletic commission was informed. NSAC were informed of the December failure because of the fight being scheduled there and were subsequently advised of the earlier failures and the ongoing investigation into them.

CSAC should have been advised by the UFC when they were making the application so as the UFC were being completely transparent in what was going on. I guess they intentionally, or otherwise, decided not to inform them. It seems like it's not an issue for CSAC because they could have easily revoked the licence when all this information came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Whelo79 wrote: »
    I think USADA only have an obligation to inform the state where a fight is licenced. When Jones failed the earlier tests he wasn't scheduled to fight so no athletic commission was informed. NSAC were informed of the December failure because of the fight being scheduled there and were subsequently advised of the earlier failures and the ongoing investigation into them.

CSAC should have been advised by the UFC when they were making the application so as the UFC were being completely transparent in what was going on. I guess they intentionally, or otherwise, decided not to inform them. It seems like it's not an issue for CSAC because they could have easily revoked the licence when all this information came out.

It's all a shady cluster**** that's the easiest way to put it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I'm very torn here lads. This is a load of bollox like. But if we are to accept Jon " pico" Jones...he better be the most violent jon we have ever seen and bring all the spinning ****. Like...if hes on the pico and is still ****...ill be disappointed

The other side of me wants to see Gus standing over a broken Jon in the middle of the ring.

I think ill have another coffee lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,259 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

This doesn't make any sense. If it's not on the banned list then surely it's fine. So, what's the difference between being on the approved list and not being on the banned list?
    The banned list is a list of banned substances.
    The approved list will be a list of approved products. It's purely to do with so called "tainted" supplements.

Some overvthe counter preworkouts have banned stimulant as ingredients, some are not listed on the label by the same name as the banned list. If you take one unknowingly, tough ****.
    They proposing to release a list of preworkouts and other supplements that are all-clear.
    If one of those supplements is then tainted, or the recipe changed, they the figher won't be held to blame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Yep, going to be a whole lot easier now to work backwards and find a conventionality tainted supplement.

Does anyone seriously think Jones is dumb enough/arrogant enough/insecure enough, that he would intentionally continue to take a drug that he has popped for twice already, which has cost him 3 years of his career and cost him millions of dollars??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Does anyone seriously think Jones is dumb enough/arrogant enough/insecure enough, that he would intentionally continue to take a drug that he has popped for twice already, which has cost him 3 years of his career and cost him millions of dollars??

Jon Jones: Famously Intelligent

I can't see it myself. At the very least, if he is an ardent cheat/PED user, surely he switches to another substance that is less detectable.

The levels he has popped for are not enough to promote any positive affects and it is not a substantial that would be used for micro dossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Jones doesn't make huge money, I don't get why they are protecting him to this extent. If it was McG then I would completely understand because he brings in the money but Jones doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

The levels he has popped for are not enough to promote any positive affects and it is not a substantial that would be used for micro dossing.

And you know this how?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭dashoonage

And you know this how?

Dana said so.

:P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

JJayoo wrote: »
    Jones doesn't make huge money, I don't get why they are protecting him to this extent. If it was McG then I would completely understand because he brings in the money but Jones doesn't

He doesn't make huge money but he does make good money.

Himself v Lesnar, DC, or any of the heavyweights would do well in the future too. Assuming he wins that is.

If the Jones fight was taken off the card it'd be headlined by Cyborg and Nunes with a pretty poor main card. That wouldn't sell at all, or only to the people who always buy a PPV. Even then it might not do that either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,465 ✭✭✭✭walshb

JJayoo wrote: »

His name is pretty big. He has a real aura about him. Far more so than the likes of Cormier, for example. Plus, he has never been beaten, and is fantastic to watch..for the UFC he is well worth the time and effort to preserve.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement