Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,956 ✭✭✭cletus

Quick question, apropos of nothing, but does anybody know which, if any, countries get ppv events included in their fight pass subscription

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

https://twitter.com/johnmccarthymma/status/1079128971441139712?s=21

I thought referees would get paid more for mains at such big events. That’s presumably pre-tax as well.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s obviously decent money, but for the amount of responsibility they have on their shoulders and the amount these events generate, it’s nothing major.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Paully D wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/johnmccarthymma/status/1079128971441139712?s=21

I thought referees would get paid more for mains at such big events. That’s presumably pre-tax as well.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s obviously decent money, but for the amount of responsibility they have on their shoulders and the amount these events generate, it’s nothing major.

The athletic commissions pay the refs though. $1900 for a title fight also doesn't include the other fights they ref that night, I imagine they could easily clear $3000 per event. Very handy money for 1-2 hours actual work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

And you know this how?

Novitsky stated so, and backed it up by claiming WADA are reviewing their current policies to ignore positive readings below certain levels. The word 'substantial' in my previous post should have read 'substance' if that wasn't clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Novitsky names 3 experts in his media interview after the official with ins yesterday morning.

I've watched the 30 odd minutes of the interview and it's a very good watch. In my opinion Novitsky is being very genuine, honest and forthcoming in his answers. He also explains how WADA are having similar issues with their testing (similar issues across NFL and Olympians) and how WADA are reviewing their own guidelines re testing limits. Supposedly they are considering not disregarding any findings below 50 picograms. Their current guidelines state 2 nanograms (which would be 2000 picograms) however as labs are able to detect way lower than that now they have been charging people at these lower levels.

He also explains the differences with Frank Mir and Tom Lawlor and talks about short term, mid term and long term metabolites found in the body from ingestion of turnibol.

Well worth a watch for all the online experts.

The 3 experts he names are all USADA or former USADA employees. USADA are a private company.

One of them was one of the experts who vouched for Canelo just around when he conveniently popped for clen just around the time he was cutting.

The main thing he said about Mir and Lawlor is that they didn't appeal. Not so much about the type ingested or how it was ingested. Basically if you can afford litigation you can get your ban reduced and your name less tarnished. A lawyer, evidence and sampling collection cost most of these guys $200k+. I would say Jones paid even more to explore every avenue to get him off for the second time.

The 3rd time the UFC and USADA essentially handled the appeal for him. With the help of a commission who licensed a 48 year old who was retired for a decade having previously been knocked for 3 times in a row.

• Advertisement

He stated the comparison between Jones, Mir and Lawlor was that Jones and Mir both popped for the same thing and both got bans, Mir never popped for it again so there wasn't the same circumstance that it may be residual traces from previous ingestion (double jepordy). Regarding Lawlor, from what I can remember he said Lawlor tested for a completely different steroid which had a much shorter life span.

The ex USADA employees also have WADA tests, which included IOC tests, passing through their labs and there is absolutely zero identification markers on all the samples which may give any indication as to who the sample have come from.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

And you know this how?

Novitsky stated so, and backed it up by claiming WADA are reviewing their current policies to ignore positive readings below certain levels. The word 'substantial' in my previous post should have read 'substance' if that wasn't clear.

So you know because a UFC employee told you so. Really?

He didn't tell me, he told a room full of international media.

It's also on WADA's website about their intention to review procedures regarding positive reading thresholds early next year.

He didn't tell me, he told a room full of international media.

It's also on WADA's website about their intention to review procedures regarding positive reading thresholds early next year.

What does that have to do with your claim that "The levels he has popped for are not enough to promote any positive affects and it is not a substantial that would be used for micro dossing."? Absolutely nothing.

What does that have to do with your claim that "The levels he has popped for are not enough to promote any positive affects and it is not a substantial that would be used for micro dossing."? Absolutely nothing.

Watch the video.

Take it as you will, but I haven't seen anyone (with credibility) come out and discredit what Novitsky stated.

• Advertisement

Greg Hardy in the co main event of UFCs first event on ESPN. Some bull**** that is. Cerrone only on the prelims

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭dashoonage

dulux99 wrote: »
    Greg Hardy in the co main event of UFCs first event on ESPN. Some bull**** that is. Cerrone only on the prelims

Hardy sells...id pay good money to watch him get beat up.

Also

Holm vs Aspen Ladd booked for 235...

Ladd being pushed hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Watch the video.

Take it as you will, but I haven't seen anyone (with credibility) come out and discredit what Novitsky stated.

There's suddenly a lot of internet PED experts coming out of the woodwork the last week or so.

Greg Hardy sells?! Since when?

Since this card will be on ESPN and Hardy will be a known name from this NFL days.

here ya go

https://sports.yahoo.com/espn-ufc-teaming-promote-greg-134329046.html

infamous NFL stars first UFC fight.....ESPN are gonna shill the **** outta that

you know UFC aint about mma any more right?

Let's be honest he's not famous even for his NFL career. He's famous for flogging his Mrs. I'm no NFL expert but I don't think he was even considered a really top player.

dashoonage wrote: »

Since this card will be on ESPN and Hardy will be a known name from this NFL days.

here ya go

https://sports.yahoo.com/espn-ufc-teaming-promote-greg-134329046.html

infamous NFL stars first UFC fight.....ESPN are gonna shill the **** outta that

you know UFC aint about mma any more right?

Promoting isn't the same as selling. You think anyone is shelling out cash to watch Greg Hardy? They are in me bollox.

Promoting isn't the same as selling. You think anyone is shelling out cash to watch Greg Hardy? They are in me bollox.

Ah yes...i concede..this isnt a PPV. Back to my whiskey i go.

dashoonage wrote: »

Ah yes...i concede..this isnt a PPV. Back to my whiskey i go.

Never even mind PPV. It's an ESPN+ card. How many people out of 300m Americans do you reckon will sign up to ESPN+ just to watch Greg Hardy? I can't imagine it being any sort of significant number at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭d00mk1n

Never even mind PPV. It's an ESPN+ card. How many people out of 300m Americans do you reckon will sign up to ESPN+ just to watch Greg Hardy? I can't imagine it being any sort of significant number at all.

8.8 million viewers for the main event of UFC on Fox 1. Cain vs JDS. They are expecting new eyeballs on their debut show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,259 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There's suddenly a lot of internet PED experts coming out of the woodwork the last week or so.

There's a lot more people who haven't a notion commenting tbh. As is always the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Weeks free trial on sign up as well for espn+, can see it doing big numbers myself.

ASOT wrote: »
    Weeks free trial on sign up as well for espn+, can see it doing big numbers myself.

Signing up to see Greg Hardy no doubt, rather than the champion Vs champion superfight?

Signing up to see Greg Hardy no doubt, rather than the champion Vs champion superfight?

I couldn't give a **** about Hardy to be honest, it's a class card from top to bottom that's why it'll do good numbers especially with the trial. Mainly tuning in to see Hernandez spark Cowboy myself.

Mellor wrote: »
    There's a lot more people who haven't a notion commenting tbh. As is always the case.

I took his post as being sarcastic.

ASOT wrote: »

I couldn't give a **** about Hardy to be honest, it's a class card from top to bottom that's why it'll do good numbers especially with the trial. Mainly tuning in to see Hernandez spark Cowboy myself.

That was kind of my point.

Are you US based? Surely in UK and Ireland it'll only be on BT?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

d00mk1n wrote: »
    8.8 million viewers for the main event of UFC on Fox 1. Cain vs JDS. They are expecting new eyeballs on their debut show
    I do hope you're not trying to compare Cain vs JDS to Greg Hardy vs Allan Crowder for viewer numbers, just because it's the debut show as well..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Were they not suppose to have new belts last night ? Rember ufc tweeting teasers with 29/12/18 as being the reveal?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Were they not suppose to have new belts last night ? Rember ufc tweeting teasers with 29/12/18 as being the reveal?

Yeah unveiling in brocklyn instead cause of all jones sh1t this week

• Advertisement

That was kind of my point.

Are you US based? Surely in UK and Ireland it'll only be on BT?

And I'm agreeing with you, i was just saying overall with that card it'll do good numbers.

Im based in Italy, so ill get it on DAZN.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement