Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Conventional wisdom dictates high level wrestling with competencies in the other key area's makes for the preferred skill-set in MMA, as opposed to being an elite striker and so on. The records are there. When you're putting money down, it's always a consideration...

Will be interesting to see how the game develops over the next 10 years...

• Registered Users Posts: 55,457 ✭✭✭✭walshb

You seen what happened McGregor Walsh. And even though hes a striker he has been training grappling over 10 years an was still taken down with ease by a wrestler.

McGregor is a complete novice in terms of skills with hands compared to a prime Tyson

Not saying DC could not get to a prime Tyson and take him down. I just think he'd find it both difficult, and very risky/dangerous....

Prime Tyson switched to MMA and focused on it.....I'll take him over DC in the cage....too fast and heavy with hands, as well as being a handful to hold, grab, contain...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,468 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Christ, this argument was solved in 1993 by a skinny Brazilian fella.

Pure grappler easily handles a pure striker(let alone a striker who only punches) nine times out of ten.

I say this as someone who mainly kickboxes but I'm under no illusions what a good grappler could do to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

When I see the boxer v MMA fighter debate spilling into this thread

GYANi7.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Flapianski

Hi folks, hope you can help me...

Planning a trip to Vegas for a friends stag, and have no set dates in mind yet. I can't see any UFC events announced yet past March, do they usually have an event in Vegas in the summer?

Heard a rumour that McGregor v Khabib II could be in July (if it happens at all) - is there any particular weekend they may favour, like 4th July week? When have they traditionally run summer UFC events?

Appreciate any help here! Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Tony Ferguson is going to be insufferable if they schedule a McGregor Khabib rematch...and rightly so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Flapianski wrote: »

Planning a trip to Vegas for a friends stag, and have no set dates in mind yet. I can't see any UFC events announced yet past March, do they usually have an event in Vegas in the summer?

Heard a rumour that McGregor v Khabib II could be in July (if it happens at all) - is there any particular weekend they may favour, like 4th July week? When have they traditionally run summer UFC events?

Nothing officially announced past June yet.
    DwaRysBVsAABJ2t.jpg:large

There's always a big event in Vegas in July, "international fight week". Great event to attend. You'll pay out through the nose but it's worth it. Can't see it being CMG v Khabib though to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,258 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

walshb wrote: »
    Jones at HW in boxing would get destroyed....
    Of course he would. Jones isn't a boxer.
    He's done last in the 100m too. That's pretty much how it works.

Which makes you notions about boxers in MMA a bit far fetched. Surely you see why?
    McGregor is a complete novice in terms of skills with hands compared to a prime Tyson
    He was referring to Mcgregor grappling experience.
    Tyson would have been a complete novice in grappling compared to actual grappling novices.
    Prime Tyson switched to MMA and focused on it.....I'll take him over DC in the cage....too fast and heavy with hands, as well as being a handful to hold, grab, contain...
    Just to be clear. When does Tyson make this hypothetical switch. Give us a year.
    A late switch would be useless. He'd really struggle with grappling.
    If he took up MMA early enough, he could have been a beast. But then he wouldn't have become the Tyson we all know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

You're far too sensible for this thread Mellor.

We need to see Prime Tyson vs Sea Level Cain and watch Tyson win handily....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭fitzparker

As advised below, if you are looking to go when there is a UFC event (even though not announced) then book international fight week in july, always has a numbered UFC event on in Vegas

Mellor wrote: »

Just to be clear. When does Tyson make this hypothetical switch. Give us a year.
    A late switch would be useless. He'd really struggle with grappling.
    If he took up MMA early enough, he could have been a beast. But then he wouldn't have become the Tyson we all know.

Well, his prime was 1986-1989

MMA is a mixed sport. DC was a wrestler. His MMA journey began aged late 20s or so....

Tyson aged 20-23 was the HW champion of the world. If he decided to abandon boxing and go into MMA, similar to DC going into MMA, then I would pick Tyson 9/10 times.

It's not like DC is some MMA genius from years and years....

This picking (by some) DC in this scenario 99/100 is horsesh1t!

Too slow for Tyson....his only hope I believe is taking Mike down and submitting him. I don't think he can do this...

It's just a discussion, but of all the great boxers, Mike stands out to me as one who would have been best suited to the cage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

MMA is a mixed sport. DC was a wrestler. His MMA journey began aged late 20s or so....

Tyson aged 20-23 was the HW champion of the world. If he decided to abandon boxing and go into MMA, similar to DC going into MMA, then I would pick Tyson 9/10 times.

Too slow for Tyson....his only hope I believe is taking Mike down and submitting him. I don't think he can do this...

It's just a discussion, but of all the great boxers, Mike stands out to me as one who would have been best suited to the cage.

You have no idea what Tyson could have been like in MMA though.
    He could have been great, or he could have been terrible.
    You're comparing Tyson the boxer to DC the MMA fighter in that sense, DC wins 99/100 as he has the better skill set.

If Tyson decided to dedicate himself to MMA, he wouldn't be as sharp boxing as he'd have to spread his skills across more than punching someone in the head.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    You have no idea what Tyson could have been like in MMA though.

What?

It's just an idea a thinking and feeling...

Of course it cannot be proved, because it never happened.....doesn't mean one can't think it or argue its merits...

MMA is a mixed sport. But for practical reasons It's easier to transition from a grappling style than a striking style.
    DC's MMA careeer began after his wrestling career. He was coming in as an elite and It took him 7 years to win a UFC title.
    So we'll say Tyson taking up MMA around 1987/88 (after he held all major HW belts). If he trained grappling enough, he could probably become a decent MMA fighter. But he'd only have 3 years to work with. Not a lot of time.

But the fact is, Tyson didn't spend those years grappling. So that person doesn't exist. Might well talk about DC taking up boxing or a hypothetical Jon Jones weighing 265lbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

In 1990 who would this hypothetical Tyson have been fighting in MMA?
    1990 top 10 list

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Flapianski

dulux99 wrote: »
    There's always a big event in Vegas in July, "international fight week". Great event to attend. You'll pay out through the nose but it's worth it. Can't see it being CMG v Khabib though to be honest.

Thanks for the replies folks - what dates would International Fight Week be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Generally the first weekend in July. But never count on it with the UFC :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭xckjoo

JJayoo wrote: »
    1990 top 10 list

1. Chuck Norris
    2. Doesn't matter. Chuck already killed him

Just checked, from 2015 to 2018 they were all either the first or second weekend of July. You'd need to wait for confirmation of the date though before booking anything. Case and point they cancelled an entire event in Vegas only a couple of weeks ago with barely any notice.

There also isn't much of a hike in prices once the date is announced. It's not like booking a trip to a premier league game where the prices of flights shoot up as soon as the fixtures are confirmed. Vegas has so many hotels as it is, so I've found the prices stay fairly standard. Have a read through the stickied thread in this forum about travelling to America for events, lots of good info in there. Once anything is confirmed though feel free to shoot me a PM, I'd be happy to help, I've done a few trips now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Most of the hotels will also offer full refunds, although you'd have to pay a refundable deposit.

For UFC 100 there were 2 possible dates, and it was going to be the MGM or Mandalay Bay.

I booked 4 rooms, 1 for each place for each date. This was way in advance so they were dirt cheap.

Once the event was confirmed there was a bump in price for the Mandalay Bay so I just cancelled the other 3.

Did need to have about €500 available for the 4 bookings though.

1990 top 10 list
    Rickson is the best MMA fighter in the late 80s. But there's probably no credible heavyweights in MMA at that time.

So looking at a "mixed" match. I think it'd be have to be a wrestler. The obvious choice is Alexandre Karelin. Who would have ripped the head off anyone imo. Karelin ragdolls DC, Cain, or any of the top wrestlers in MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

https://twitter.com/ctaylor_96/status/1083196331819118592?s=21

:eek:

Shocked considering the usual fare they put on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

I'll sacrifice a goat to the mma God's so there's no injuries.

ASOT wrote: »
    I'll sacrifice a goat to the mma God's so there's no injuries.

you leave Artem alone!

dashoonage wrote: »
    That's 100% fake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Brett Okamoto with some BREAKING NEWS on Twitter

Jon Jones passes drug test on 29th of Dec.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Brett Okamoto with some BREAKING NEWS on Twitter

Jon Jones passes drug test on 29th of Dec.

Funny how Jon fails these drug tests when he is dehydrated while cutting, but passes them once he has rehydrated

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Funny how Jon fails these drug tests when he is dehydrated while cutting, but passes them once he has rehydrated

Nah don't think so. He wasn't cutting when he failed 3 last year. Just thought its funny, BREAKING NEWS: Jones passed a test. I will be very suspicious if those pictograms don't show up again though. There for 2 years then suddenly vanish. Novitski said they will "pulse for up to 7 years" ..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement