Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭dashoonage

xtal191 wrote: »
    Def don't think Adesanya deserves a shot yet, he might've possibly had one of the easiest runs to a UFC title shot I've ever seen

Mcgregor

*opens popcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

dulux99 wrote: »
    Disagree really, Romero is coming off a loss and missed weight in his last fight. The only other option is Jacare, who Gastelum has fought and beat.

This is the fight to make. Adesanya is probably the most exciting propsect in the UFC at the moment.

Yeah I can see it from your view but I would've preferred to see him fight the winner of Romero/Costa or even Jacare or Weidmann before getting a shot.

Anyway surely Whittaker wont be out that long? Why didn't they just wait an extra month or so and make the Gastelum fight again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Yeah I can see it from your view but I would've preferred to see him fight the winner of Romero/Costa or even Jacare or Weidmann before getting a shot.

Anyway surely Whittaker wont be out that long? Why didn't they just wait an extra month or so and make the Gastelum fight again?

I know, Adesanya v Costa/Romero would definitely be a good option too. But that leaves Gastelum on the sidelines.

I'm no medical expert but I doubt Whittaker would be ready this side of the summer. Sounded like his injury was fairly violent. He hasn't fought since June of last year and there's a great fight to be made between Adesanya and Whittaker so I'm all for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭VW 1

Def don't think Adesanya deserves a shot yet, he might've possibly had one of the easiest runs to a UFC title shot I've ever seen

Till getting his shot cant be too far off either.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Is it just me that isn’t too excited about Adesanya?

I don’t know, he just doesn’t really do it for me, and I don’t think the hype he gets is warranted for what he has produced thus far.

I mean, he made a 43 year old Anderson Silva who has been a shell of himself since he’s been off the PED’s and 1-5 leading up to that fight (which should have been 0-6 as the Brunson decision was a robbery) look decent. Decisions wins against Vettori and Tavares. Meh.

He could certainly prove me wrong by beating Gastelum and Whittaker, but at the moment I feel he has a reputation that isn’t really justified.

I know it’s a different division, but look at someone like Prazeres who is 10-1 in the UFC and his only loss being to Kevin Lee 4 years ago, yet no-one knows who he is! Ponzinibbio in the welterweight division is on a 7 fight streak with some brilliant wins and although much more well-known than the aforementioned, nada.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Prazares lost to Paulo Thiago in the UFC too before the Kevin Lee fight at Welterweight (which is what he has fought at in his last two fights).

He must hate the Lightweight cut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Al Iaquinta said on Unfiltered that they he has agreed to fight Poirier but Dustin is holding out for more money, he also said Conor v Cowboy is being set up for July and Max is coming up to fight Tony for the interim belt.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Prazares lost to Paulo Thiago in the UFC too before the Kevin Lee fight at Welterweight (which is what he has fought at in his last two fights).

He must hate the Lightweight cut
    He missed weight as a lightweight 3 times, he was forced to move up most likely.

Paully D wrote: »

I don’t know, he just doesn’t really do it for me, and I don’t think the hype he gets is warranted for what he has produced thus far.

I mean, he made a 43 year old Anderson Silva who has been a shell of himself since he’s been off the PED’s and 1-5 leading up to that fight (which should have been 0-6 as the Brunson decision was a robbery) look decent. Decisions wins against Vettori and Tavares. Meh.

He could certainly prove me wrong by beating Gastelum and Whittaker, but at the moment I feel he has a reputation that isn’t really justified.

I know it’s a different division, but look at someone like Prazeres who is 10-1 in the UFC and his only loss being to Kevin Lee 4 years ago, yet no-one knows who he is! Ponzinibbio in the welterweight division is on a 7 fight streak with some brilliant wins and although much more well-known than the aforementioned, nada.

spinning **** though paully....spinning ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

i thought that whittaker was not able to train till june? is there even a need for an interim belt?

is it just me or is anyone else starting to get fed up with interim belts and super fights?

i see cat zingano lost her appeal to get her last loss overturned over the toe poke. i honestly thought she would get it over turned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Mellor wrote: »
    If Cains knee went while he was standing the finished was nothing to do with Fran. Which is the argyenebt a side are making.

But I don't that's what happened. I think a shot blipped him for a second. His weight drop, and his knee either popped on the way down or when he landed.

He landed like a child with wonky legs.

I got worried when he attempted a few head kicks tbh. Should have been spamming low singles.

Totally agree. That's my reading of it too.

The head kicks were weird. Maybe it was a tactic to keep Ngannous attention high, but the match didn't last long enough to see the benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,851 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

tommyboy26 wrote: »

is it just me or is anyone else starting to get fed up with interim belts and super fights?
    sick of all these interim belts.
    I mean who wants to go around with a fake belt around your shoulder bar the likes of colby covington
    who's gonna remember an interim champ other than them being the guy/girl who came close...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,851 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Paully D wrote: »

he could beat any of them tbh, whittaker gastelum etc but I doubt he finishes either of them and that includes weidman, romero
    he could well frustrate any of them and get a pts win.
    He could also be the next silva where he does enough to win but the fans maybe left frustrated with how he goes about it although it's probably not a fair comparison as silva was leagues ahead of most of his opponents which wouldnt be the case now
    travis lutter, patrick cote or thales leites would barely be top 20 nowadays who fought for that belt (lutter missed weight iirc)

I'm not sure myself, gut tells me he's not quite as good as they make out and he's certainly jumping the queue imo

i thought that whittaker was not able to train till june? is there even a need for an interim belt?

This may be of interest to you... or not

https://twitter.com/MikeBohnMMA/status/1097990109620690945

i see cat zingano lost her appeal to get her last loss overturned over the toe poke. i honestly thought she would get it over turned
    Why did you think she would get it overturned? I understand why she made the appeal but I thought it was a lost cause, toes can't be curled like fingers can.

GSP is to officially announce his retirement at a press conference tomorrow. I will not be surprised if he fights again.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,785 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm a big fan of Cat but it was the right call not to overturn that decision. Really unlucky thing to happen but wasn't against the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

khabib offering gsp fight in november on insta. Stupid fight gsp should just retire

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Don't care about the LW title being held up, would love to see how Khabib vs GSP goes. Very likely to never see it though.

2 interim title fights on 1 card! :eek:

Poirier is píssed, tweeting about wanting his release so this must be happening. Someone tell Dana to cover Max and Tony in bubblewrap until it's time to touch gloves.

https://twitter.com/CTaylor_96/status/1098314181705695232

Poor ****ing Tony like... winning back the interim belt.

• Advertisement

dashoonage wrote: »
    Ah I'd say he's hardly complaining about it, a title fight means more money and he'll be getting ppv points too. Outside of Conor or Khabib this is his best option financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

The interim ****e needs to end

• Registered Users Posts: 39,254 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The interim ****e needs to end
    I don't mind the interim title. I don't get what the issue is.
    The alternative is Tony fights Poirier in a non PPV main event, or even a 3-rounder.
    I'd rather see the 5 round fight. The interim belt is irrelevant to me.

dashoonage wrote: »

:( Even worse, I think Ferguson will lose to Holloway..... Ferguson should have made way more money off that massive run of wins he just had...the UFC really screwed him over.

FFS. I said last night the MW interim title fight is somewhat warranted...this one ..not so much. Ferguson already won an interim title and it did f*ck all for him, he was still passed over.

In fairness though from the fighters perspective it may not bother them too much. I read before that fighters are paid just as much for a title fight as they are for an interim one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Can't see how max wins this fight but I can't wait to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭VW 1

I'd find it hard to pick a winner, think they are hugely evenly matched with neither outstandingly ahead in any discpline.

Why don't you see a way Max wins? Only thing I see him struggling with is power translation, he has little enough compared to the 145ers, but he uses volume to overwhelm, similar to the Diaz bros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Shut up and take all my monies for such a dream match up.

Same card as Gastelum vs Adasanya also.

VW 1 wrote: »
    I'd find it hard to pick a winner, think they are hugely evenly matched with neither outstandingly ahead in any discpline.

Why don't you see a way Max wins? Only thing I see him struggling with is power translation, he has little enough compared to the 145ers, but he uses volume to overwhelm, similar to the Diaz bros.

Agreed. Ferguson is very hittable too. Unreal matchup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

VW 1 wrote: »

Max has no power at all, Tony can also take a crack. Tony has cardio for days to keep up Max's pace. Not too familiar with Max's grappling, I know he has good TDD, but I'm assuming Tony's the better on the ground too. It'll be fun to see.
    I hope max can do it and fight McGregor

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement