Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,851 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

:( Even worse, I think Ferguson will lose to Holloway..... Ferguson should have made way more money off that massive run of wins he just had...the UFC really screwed him over.

I can't think of a worse match up for tony myself
    I see both of these standing and trading for as long as it lasts, I don't think there will be any takedowns and max will take everything tony throws at him but you can't put away a guy like max
    Tony is volume all the way but max even more so.
    I think theres a strong chance max could ko tony myself, been rocked by vannata and pettis and if max rocks tony he'll finish him.
    I love ferguson and I think he beats anyone in the lightweight division also and as much as I look forward to that I'd much rather see it happen when tony beats khabib.

Fight of the year contender if it happens though...it will be nuts.

ricero wrote: »
    Same card as Gastelum vs Adasanya also.

haha
    There'll be little or no interest in that one if max and tony are there also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

mailburner wrote: »
    haha
    There'll be little or no interest in that one if max and tony are there also

Max an Tony would be the main event surley to god?

I'd put my life on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

I don't get why they need to stick a belt in for every ppv though. Conor vs Nate were both 5 round non title fights, and both are in the top 5 ppvs.
    I'd watch the s**t out of Max vs Tony, whether there's a belt on the line or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

derfderf wrote: »
    I don't get why they need to stick a belt in for every ppv though. Conor vs Nate were both 5 round non title fights, and both are in the top 5 ppvs.
    I'd watch the s**t out of Max vs Tony, whether there's a belt on the line or not.

It must have some bearing to say that WME seem to insist on it. The "hardcores" such as ourselves will obviously see through the vapid nature of an interim title fight but being able to put a belt on the poster must improve buyrates to some degree amongst the more casual viewer who might only watch a few events a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Anderson Silva v Jared Cannonier at UFC 237 in Brazil. Winnable fight for both though I would love for Silva to get a ko then retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

UFC have a habit of putting the heavier weight fight above the lighter guys, more so if there's a "title" involved, so I'd hazard a guess and say they'd be co main.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Tazzimus wrote: »
    UFC have a habit of putting the heavier weight fight above the lighter guys, more so if there's a "title" involved, so I'd hazard a guess and say they'd be co main.

I agree with this with the exception being McGregor due to how big a star he is as seen before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

ASOT wrote: »
    I agree with this with the exception being McGregor due to how big a star he is as seen before.
    Ah yeah, he's the exception to the rule.
    But they usually have this idea that heavier weight fights should be higher on the card, especially title fights, if there's more than one.

• Advertisement

Silvas fighting Cannonier in Brazil at 237.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

https://twitter.com/TonyFergusonXT/status/1098369169718833152

interesting. no mention of who he was offered. tony is crazy enough to turn down another interim belt fight as he already has one

Tony's a cringe machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,468 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

It's an interesting fight but I'd go for Tony because of the size and heavier hands. Max enjoys normally a decent size advantage fighting at feather but Tony is a big lightweight. Long arms on Tony also.

I really wanted to see Nate against Tony, that would be mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,785 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

So either he wants to fight the actual LW champ or someone else is been giving to Max for interim. I think Max Vs Tony is a great fight but unnecessary. Would be one thing if the only people in the mix between LW and FW were max, Khabib and Tony but understandable Dustin isn't happy.

What happens with the FW division of Max goes up? Cos there's no chance he goes back down. There are no standout contenders at the minute.....are we really looking down the barrel of a gun of Aldo vs Ortega?

dulux99 wrote: »
    What happens with the FW division of Max goes up? Cos there's no chance he goes back down. There are no standout contenders at the minute.....are we really looking down the barrel of a gun of Aldo vs Ortega?
    It really is a perfect situation for a tournament I think. They won't do it but imagine an 8 man tournament with the top 8 ranked featherweights :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,031 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He's a big guy for FW Max is, once he goes up I don't see him coming back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭VW 1

Ortega, Zabit, Volkanovski, Moicano all on the come up, talented and establishing themselves (despite Ortegas loss, still quite young). And Edgar/Aldo of the older vintage who have seen it all.

Certainly a bit of compeitition in the division to establish a new champ, and not as if Holloway leaves a void of talent.

VW 1 wrote: »
    Ortega, Zabit, Volkanovski, Moicano all on the come up, talented and establishing themselves (despite Ortegas loss, still quite young). And Edgar/Aldo of the older vintage who have seen it all.

Certainly a bit of compeitition in the division to establish a new champ, and not as if Holloway leaves a void of talent.

Yeah I’m not saying there aren’t good prospects, but it’s not awash with genuine contenders either. Volkanovski and Zabit are the two standouts, and I just don’t think either are particularly at a championship level at this point. If either went against Max I’d favour Max heavily. Moicano and Ortega both coming off beatdowns.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Gotta say very annoyed with the Ufc for not giving us the fans a dream match up between gsp and khabib.

ricero wrote: »
    Gotta say very annoyed with the Ufc for not giving us the fans a dream match up between gsp and khabib.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it does still happen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I be more positive of it happening now.

"Former two division UFC champ champ Gerorges "Rush StPiere returns from retirement to face undefeated phenom Khabib " The Eagle" Nagamerrrrredownvoeendn "

read in joe rogans voice.

GSP is one of the very few fighters in MMA whos retirement will stick though. He's a smart guy and is has lots of ventures and isn't stuck for money. People may point to his last hiatus but he never said he was retired that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,704 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

GSP is one of the very few fighters in MMA whos retirement will stick though. He's a smart guy and is has lots of ventures and isn't stuck for money. People may point to his last hiatus but he never said he was retired that time.
    He did say in his retirement press conference that he might fight again if Dana called him back with something interesting.

would love to see gsp khabib also

that would imo be a very hard fight to call even at this stage of gsp's career

when is the last time george was even taken down? cant remember myself

He did say in his retirement press conference that he might fight again if Dana called him back with something interesting.

Did he really?! For f*ck sake haha.

Did he really?! For f*ck sake haha.
    Yeah, he basically said he's retired ... for the moment.

“I don’t know where I will be, mentally, the state of mind, in my life, in a few months,” St-Pierre said. “I don’t know. For me, it’s retirement now. I don’t want those other guys to call me out, because I’m out. If something happens and Dana calls me back with something interesting, we’ll see. Like a movie scenario, ‘Oh! He’s coming back!’ We’ll see, but right now I’m not thinking about it.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Ah ffs, 'I'm retired until Dana calls me about the Khabib fight'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement