Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

Gustafson v Johnny Walker rumored, what a fight that will be

Gustafson would maul him imo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Gus doesn't make sense yet for Walker - derail a hype train for what? To give Gus another shot at Jones? I don't see it happening, reckon OSP who's ahead of him by two places on the rankings and one more fight before we're talking about Gus

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Either way they’re all headed back to jones for another beating.
    What sickened me Saturday night was the commentators going on about that roid head being the greatest of all time. How can a drug cheat be considered this??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,188 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Either way they’re all headed back to jones for another beating.
    What sickened me Saturday night was the commentators going on about that roid head being the greatest of all time. How can a drug cheat be considered this??

Because he is!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Because he is!

I’ll assume you’re taking the piss

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Any sign of the Anik and Florian podcast? Usually get it on SoundCloud but hasn't been a new one in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

No, Jon has been dominant for so long and displayed technique at such a high level that to put it all down to PED's is so disingenuous. PED's don't turn a scrub into a champion, he needs to be of that caliber already.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,250 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Somebody can legitimately be the best in the world in terms of ability, and also decide to take PEDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Chael Sonnen is another prime example..

Mellor wrote: »
    Somebody can legitimately be the best in the world in terms of ability, and also decide to take PEDs.

Hes probably been cheating since day 1. If he was as good a natural as he was supposed to be, he wouldn’t have needed peds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Hes probably been cheating since day 1. If he was as good a natural as he was supposed to be, he wouldn’t have needed peds

In fairness, that's most likely applicable, to one extent or another, to every UFC competitor in the the pre-USADA era.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,188 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Nope. He's the best fighter there has ever been

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Lads PEDS are absolute rocket fuel, the Jones we know is not even related to a Jones who never took Peds.

Peds make you bigger, stronger, more confident, you can train like a madman and recover in hours. I took a relatively mild PED a while ago and the effects were mind blowing. My numbers in the gym and performance on the mat jumped massively.

That was 6 months ago and even though I will never do it again (I took it partly to heal an injury, which it did, and part curiosity) I will never be physically the same. I am way stronger and carry more muscle than I ever could have naturally.

Jones is the greatest that ever took PEDS but he can not ever be compared to a clean fighter.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Nope. He's the best fighter there has ever been

And Lance Armstrong the best cyclist, and Marion Jones the best sprinter. Yep.

darced wrote: »
    Lads PEDS are absolute rocket fuel, the Jones we know is not even related to a Jones who never took Peds.

Jones is the greatest that ever took PEDS but he can not ever be compared to a clean fighter.
    I don't doubt they are game changers. Mainly in terms of volume and recovery than strength (although that's a huge factor too). But rocketfuelness doesn't discount what I said.
    Whether Jones is or would have been the best ever, is completely independent to his decision to take peds.
    There's no reason to assume that the best guy ever hasn't made the decision to take peds.
    Maybe he didn't need them, but took them anyway. There's no way to know at this point.Or maybe being the best and clean isn't good enough. In fact, it's highly likely that is wouldn't be enough at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭xckjoo

PEDs or no PEDs, Jones is undoubtably one of the best fighters we've seen. Maybe he wouldn't be quite the same fighter if he had been clean the whole time but he's still one of the best. Even with the same coaching and taking any performance enhancer you want, most of us would never approach that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Inside the cage you can't fault anything Jones has done. Inside the cage he's definitely the best ever. But it's how he prepared himself to be that good has to be questioned. He's clearly a drug cheat and always has been, so he can't be in the reckoning for greatest ever with those blemishes imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,468 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

dulux99 wrote: »
    Inside the cage you can't fault anything Jones has done. Inside the cage he's definitely the best ever. But it's how he prepared himself to be that good has to be questioned. He's clearly a drug cheat and always has been, so he can't be in the reckoning for greatest ever with those blemishes imo.

To be fair he has committed lots of fouls inside the cage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Ush1 wrote: »
    To be fair he has committed lots of fouls inside the cage.

He seems to be incapable of doing anything without controversy. Couldn't even get through the last match without that illegal knee(s). Didn't notice any eye pokes though so I guess that's something

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭dashoonage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

If BJ loses this fight he will have the longest losing streak in UFC history with 7 straight losses.This fight would have been a barn burner 10 years ago. Though that being said for all the stick he gets he is actually loaded, he just fights because he wants to and he doesn't seem to care about his legacy all that much. I say fúck it, if he wants to fight let him fight. I'll always watch BJ Penn fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Autecher wrote: »
    If BJ loses this fight he will have the longest losing streak in UFC history with 7 straight losses.This fight would have been a barn burner 10 years ago. Though that being said for all the stick he gets he is actually loaded, he just fights because he wants to and he doesn't seem to care about his legacy all that much. I say fúck it, if he wants to fight let him fight. I'll always watch BJ Penn fight.

What was his last good fight? Apart from him just being picked apart or beat down.

Beersmith wrote: »
    What was his last good fight? Apart from him just being picked apart or beat down.

Excluding the 20 second ko of Matt Hughes which was entertaining but not much of a fight it would probably be the Diego Sanchez fight about 10 years ago. He wrecked him in that fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I guess if he doesn't care about anything other than wanting to fight, fair play to him. It is hard though to see so many legends go down that road way past their prime. I mean, most recently, watching Frank Mir in Bellator has been utterly painful....though seeing Chuck 'in action' against Tito was beyond words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

The UFC should have cut him 3 losses ago. It's borderline abuse letting him compete at this level at this stage.

Autecher wrote: »
    Excluding the 20 second ko of Matt Hughes which was entertaining but not much of a fight it would probably be the Diego Sanchez fight about 10 years ago. He wrecked him in that fight.

His two fights with Edgar were good fights (2010). Edgar was just better.
    Can't fault him for a 20 second KO of Hughes (2010).
    The Jon Fitch fight (2011) was a boring fight, but it wasn't a bad performance.

After that though, it's been a steady decline.
    If Guida has any compassion he'll throw this fight. It's clear that BJ just wants to go out on a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Yeah i just can't see why anyone would be excited to see him fight at this stage. He has consistently looked terrible for years.

Aspen Ladd is fighting Sijara Eubanks in May. Some drop of quality from Holm to Eubanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,925 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Anyone seen the instagram video's from Paige Van Zant, jaysus christ on a bike, go look :):):):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

scudzilla wrote: »
    Anyone seen the instagram video's from Paige Van Zant, jaysus christ on a bike, go look :):):):)

Did you have a good tare at yourself

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement