Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭dashoonage

i never knew Cejudo was a gold medalist...hes never mentioned it like.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Mellor wrote: »
    Mercola is a quack, he claims various herbal pills will fight cancer.
    But being untested and unapproved doesn't mean that expensive designer steroids will suddenly appear in them.

I agree.

My point would be that using non-approved supplements (and the quantity of them on that table is insane) is simply asking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

rda V lee and cowboy V al iaquinta

two fights i never new i wanted to see.

some interesting fights coming up in the next few months.

does cody not have a claim to fight for the vacant title? ( i dont think so )

now before everyone jumps down my neck about him been on a 3 fight losing streak. two of them were against TJ and he could claim TJ was juicing.

i dont think he does but the way the ufc has been lately is it beyond the realm of possibility

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Fancy RDA and Iaquinta for those fights

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    rda V lee and cowboy V al iaquinta

two fights i never new i wanted to see.

some interesting fights coming up in the next few months.

does cody not have a claim to fight for the vacant title? ( i dont think so )

now before everyone jumps down my neck about him been on a 3 fight losing streak. two of them were against TJ and he could claim TJ was juicing.

i dont think he does but the way the ufc has been lately is it beyond the realm of possibility

If it was just the two fights with TJ then he would but he also lost to Pedro Munhoz only a few weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭VW 1

Cody's issue isnt his ability to fight, it's his ability to stay level headed and stick to a plan. His dismantling of DC (although a while ago now) is an indicator of his talent. Unless he manages to check himself in the octagon he won't have much of a career. His next fight will make or break his career imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Fancy RDA and Iaquinta for those fights

In RDA's past two fights he has been broken down by two high level wrestlers. How will fighting Lee go any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

In RDA's past two fights he has been broken down by two high level wrestlers. How will fighting Lee go any different?
    Lots of leg kicks.

Plus RDA's wrestling is decent as well, he should hopefully do well. Could also be a flash KO, mind. The joys of MMA

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

<Snip>

Mod: If you have an issue with moderation take it up with a mod..it is not the place to discuss it on the forum..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

<Snip>

Mod: You were already told only a few minutes ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Just finished listening to Usman on Joe Rogan. Rooting for him but sounds like he has a lot of wear and tear already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

xckjoo wrote: »
    Just finished listening to Usman on Joe Rogan. Rooting for him but sounds like he has a lot of wear and tear already.

yea i thought he came across really well and likable. be good to see him defend against colby but he just had surgery so might be a while before he defends. he needs to do something about those injurys or he will end up like cain

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Usman is the kind of person Jon Jones thinks he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭xckjoo

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    yea i thought he came across really well and likable. be good to see him defend against colby but he just had surgery so might be a while before he defends. he needs to do something about those injurys or he will end up like cain

Ya that's my worry too. Hopefully now that he's champ he'll take some time to get some repair work done. There's only so long you can keep going like that before the wheels come of. Hopefully he has the right people in his corner to tell him that. He deserves a full career after all he's put into it.
    weemcd wrote: »
    Usman is the kind of person Jon Jones thinks he is.
    Not going to lie. Made me laugh :D

Luis Pena just missed weight by 3.5lbs.

It’s hardly a surprise, I couldn’t believe he thought he could make 145lbs at the size he’s at.

However, he said he could make 135lbs earlier in the week! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Sorry but a load of biased tripe in my humble opinion. From a leftist website which recently claimed that all white Australians should feel implicated in the New Zealand attacks.

From what I've seen of Rogan's podcasts he is a liberal himself, but has a deep seated disdain for some of the extremes of idiocy on the left. To suggest that he is a far right sympathiser is daft.

Anyway, the whole article is written from a political viewpoint rather than an MMA one so probably has no place here.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Sorry but a load of biased tripe in my humble opinion. From a leftist website which recently claimed that all white Australians should feel implicated in the New Zealand attacks.

From what I've seen of Rogan's podcasts he is a liberal himself, but has a deep seated disdain for some of the extremes of idiocy on the left. To suggest that he is a far right sympathiser is daft.

Anyway, the whole article is written from a political viewpoint rather than an MMA one so probably has no place here.

Where in the article is he described as a far right sympathiser?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Where in the article is he described as a far right sympathiser?

It says that his podcast is "an essential platform for those who hate the left". I don't think my paraphrasing was unreasonable.

But as I say, this is becoming a political discussion so I won't be commenting further.

• Advertisement

DrPhilG wrote: »
    It says that his podcast is "an essential platform for those who hate the left". I don't think my paraphrasing was unreasonable.

But as I say, this is becoming a political discussion so I won't be commenting further.

Well given that statement has no relevance to your earlier one, I think your paraphrasing was pretty far from reasonable to be honest. The while jist of the article is that Rogan gives nutjobs and twats a platform to ****etalk without either the willingness, intelligence or desire to challenge any of it. Not once is Rogan labelled a "far right sympathiser". In fact, it specifically references his claim to be "left on everything but guns" and describes him as a libertarian. I'm not convinced you actually even read the thing.

As for your noble approach to not discuss further because it's not MMA related, the Alex Jones interview got a few pages to itself in this very thread, so I think you're safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

What fighters does John Kavanagh currently train who fight in the UFC? I seen a Twitter post from him earlier about missing his first Cat Laughs festival in 12 years as he has a fighter competing in the UFC on June 1st. That's the Gustafsson v Smith card in Sweden.

Would Gunni be making a quick return? It's not Katona as he is going in May. I haven't seen Makwan near SBG in a long time but I guess it could be him?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Whelo79 wrote: »
    What fighters does John Kavanagh currently train who fight in the UFC? I seen a Twitter post from him earlier about missing his first Cat Laughs festival in 12 years as he has a fighter competing in the UFC on June 1st. That's the Gustafsson v Smith card in Sweden.

Would Gunni be making a quick return? It's not Katona as he is going in May. I haven't seen Makwani near SBG in a long time but I guess it could be him?

If I had to guess I'd say Makwan as well as he's defo on the card. But like you said I don't think he's been around much so maybe it could be someone new getting on.

https://twitter.com/mmateamdagestan/status/1109224535927209984?s=21

These lads are always on the ball when it comes to the Russian fighters.

Paully D wrote: »

GSP out of retirement then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,250 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The while jist of the article is that Rogan gives nutjobs and twats a platform to ****etalk without either the willingness, intelligence or desire to challenge any of it.
    It's true he rarely challenges his guests. But I think the expectation that he should is unfair. He's not a journalist. He isn't bringing these guys on to grill them an there ideas. He's a conversationalist. And a good one imo. He's gets people talking and telling stories, sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's crazy, it's usually interesting. Even when it's horribably wrong.
    Like you could tell Joe knew Alex Jones' aliens and nazi rant was bat**** delusional stuff. But he goes along with it for the sake of the show.

Mellor wrote: »
    It's true he rarely challenges his guests. But I think the expectation that he should is unfair. He's not a journalist. He isn't bringing these guys on to grill them an there ideas. He's a conversationalist. And a good one imo. He's gets people talking and telling stories, sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's crazy, it's usually interesting. Even when it's horribably wrong.
    Like you could tell Joe knew Alex Jones' aliens and nazi rant was bat**** delusional stuff. But he goes along with it for the sake of the show.

The arguement isn't that he's a crap journalist, it's that in his quest for clicks, views and, ultimately, the almighty dollar, he lets people spout garbage and rather than challenge, he simply let's them ramble on in the name of "entertainment" and under the guise of free speech.

Letting Alex Jones and Tim Pool etc spout absolute bluster is highly irresponsible and should be challenged, whether you're a journalist or not, especially if your show and guests repeatedly insist on denigrating the "liberal, leftist, mainstream media".

• Registered Users Posts: 39,250 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I understand your position completely. But My opinion simply differs.
    His podcast isn't educational or academic. He has no obligation, to me, to fact check guests or cite references in the footnotes. It's fine imo, to let guests ramble in the name of entertainment, as that's all the show is. I personally like the wide variety of fields that feature. But if I feel the nobsense too much, I turn it off.
    The onus is on the individual to decide for themselves imo.

There are plenty of podcasts out there to providing critical commentary and challenging ideas. I'm not a fan of the format as it often descends into shouting back and forth garbage.

On the topic of MMA related podcasts. Thousandholds.net is excellent.
    Each episode delves into a traditional folkstyle of grappling from a certain part if the world. Very informative, more history than sport. The first episode is focused on Ireland of all places - unexpected choice, but the guy doing it is Irish.

I meant to post this the other day as I didn’t see mention of it in the fight thread (it could well have been there, I briefly checked) but I saw that Tom Breese pulled out of another fight at the very last minute last weekend.

That’s twice in the space of three years he’s done that in London now, and he also pulled out of a fight in November a week beforehand.

I know there’s been rumours of anxiety issues, but does anyone actually know what’s going on?

Rightly or wrongly, I wouldn’t have thought the UFC brass would have taken too kindly to his continual relatively last minute pulling out of fights and for them to keep him on their roster is surprising.

It’s a shame because apart from a split decision loss to Strickland he has looked very good throughout his career to date.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Paully D wrote: »

Khabib himself posted last month on instagram saying him and the 2 other suspended Russians will all be fighting in September. Imagine if they all fought on the same card!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement