Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I guess he didn't take the snitch route like Jon.

I'd say failing a test while being provisionally suspended left them no choice, even if he gave up the whole of Russia he'd still be snookered :pac:

Josh Barnett's signed with Bellator.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

A young man in Brazil died following a MMA bout:

(Note: Link contains a video of the end of the bout. It's a KO'd fighter in unresponsive state. Knowing the context it's possibly NSFW.)

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/4/1/18290520/amateur-fighter-dies-tko-loss-brazil-mma

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

(Note: Link contains a video of the end of the bout. It's a KO'd fighter in unresponsive state. Knowing the context it's possibly NSFW.)

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/4/1/18290520/amateur-fighter-dies-tko-loss-brazil-mma

"Project coordinator Vanderluce Cantuarias, wife of coach Valmir Dieb, told MMA Fighting that the coroner’s report showed that Fernandes’ death was caused by an alleged overdose, not by the damage sustained in the fight."

• Registered Users Posts: 39,316 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ruslan Magomedov banned for life for his third USADA failure. Back to Dictator Fighting Championships with him so.

"Project coordinator Vanderluce Cantuarias, wife of coach Valmir Dieb, told MMA Fighting that the coroner’s report showed that Fernandes’ death was caused by an alleged overdose, not by the damage sustained in the fight."
    I saw that quote but the bout was on Saturday night; the article on Monday.

I doubt very much a coroners report for a death of this nature was issued in one day (a Sunday no less). Most likely this was a mistranslation or somebody speaking without authority. Perhaps drug use played a role but we will surely not know for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,540 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Gintonious wrote: »

Paulie was always emotional but he's taking it to the next level here :pac:

• Advertisement

Bellator are putting on a 16 man featherweight tournament, winner will get $1m. First round starts in October with 8 fights on the one card, then the remaining fights hope to be completed over one one calander year.

Didn't think they would have 16 fws to go into it in fairness, nice peize money for the winner though.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/4/2/18292309/bellator-officially-announces-16-man-featherweight-grand-prix-launching-in-october

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Malignaggi is off his rocker in a non-entertaining way

*Edit - it's a bit entertaining I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

He'll hospitalised Artem in a boxing match.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ha Rumble Johnson holding back Paulie while filming.

Eddie released a very honest statement about his fight.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvwtZ3wn1yI/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=10u09fir066xx

Don't be so obtuse. You know exactly what the problems are.

Only getting back to this now. I wasn't being obtuse. I'm genuinely don't see the conflict.
    McGregor, as a public shareholder, is no different to you or I owning shares.
    We don't suddenly get the power over UFC executive decisions. We aren't talking about him owning 20% and placing himself on the board. We are talking about owning 0.5%.

I could well be over looking something. But it was a serious question.

Volkan v Latifi annouced for Stockholm. That cards fairly tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Mellor wrote: »
    Only getting back to this now. I wasn't being obtuse. I'm genuinely don't see the conflict.
    McGregor, as a public shareholder, is no different to you or I owning shares.
    We don't suddenly get the power over UFC executive decisions. We aren't talking about him owning 20% and placing himself on the board. We are talking about owning 0.5%.

I could well be over looking something. But it was a serious question.

Is that what McGregor has said he wants?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Seems a bit mad that they don't seem to bother doing a lot of basic checks before a fight. I know there was a fella killed in Dublin a few years ago as well.

UFC should probably introduce better mandatory checks.

Seems a bit mad that they don't seem to bother doing a lot of basic checks before a fight. I know there was a fella killed in Dublin a few years ago as well.

Why? Neither death had anything to do with the UFC.

• Advertisement

ASOT wrote: »
    Why? Neither death had anything to do with the UFC.

Well that's me confused. Because I was recently taken to task for thinking and saying that MMA does not equal UFC. I was told that UFC is to MMA what the GAA is to hurling.

:confused:

I won't say any more on the topic!

Still the point still holds that they should have basic checks.

Most mickey-mouse club boxing shows will have some sort of medic to check hands and listen to a heart before it. Do they do it at MMA shows in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭cletus

Well that's me confused. Because I was recently taken to task for thinking and saying that MMA does not equal UFC. I was told that UFC is to MMA what the GAA is to hurling.

I won't say any more on the topic!

I'll bite, as I've a few spare minutes. The GAA/hurling analogy is not quite the same. AFAIK, there are no other organisations that run hurling events, whereas there are multiple MMA organisations, the biggest, by far, of which is the UFC.

The point I suspect that was trying to be made was that GAA is the organisation, hurling is the sport, and UFC is the organisation and MMA is the sport.

Casual fans often use the terms interchangeably, which would be similar to somebody saying they train in or watch WBA as opposed to boxing, or NBA as opposed to basketball. Every basketball game is not under the banner of the NBA, and you yourself were a boxer.

Having said all this, I firmly believe you are being deliberately obtuse, and trying to elicit reactions from other posters on this forum

cletus wrote: »
    I'll bite, as I've a few spare minutes. The GAA/hurling analogy is not quite the same. AFAIK, there are no other organisations that run hurling events, whereas there are multiple MMA organisations, the biggest, by far, of which is the UFC.

The point I suspect that was trying to be made was that GAA is the organisation, hurling is the sport, and UFC is the organisation and MMA is the sport.

Casual fans often use the terms interchangeably, which would be similar to somebody saying they train in or watch WBA as opposed to boxing, or NBA as opposed to basketball. Every basketball game is not under the banner of the NBA, and you yourself were a boxer.

Having said all this, I firmly believe you are being deliberately obtuse, and trying to elicit reactions from other posters on this forum

Thanks for the response. I am wary to say too much on the matter in case I get banned so I'll just finish with the below:

Just to correct your point on WBA vs. boxing. WBA are just a body that sanction pro fights and award their own belts. They don't promote or organize fights and they don't control or pay boxers. They can tell their champion that he has to box contender X within the next, say, 6 months if he wants to keep their belt but that is it. It is then up to the boxers to either agree on terms to compete, and if they can't it goes to purse bids. Or they can hand their belt back.

Thanks for the response. I am wary to say too much on the matter in case I get banned so I'll just finish with the below:

Just to correct your point on WBA vs. boxing. WBA are just a body that sanction pro fights and award their own belts. They don't promote or organize fights and they don't control or pay boxers. They can tell their champion that he has to box contender X within the next, say, 6 months if he wants to keep their belt but that is it. It is then up to the boxers to either agree on terms to compete, and if they can't it goes to purse bids. Or they can hand their belt back.

Thank you for the correction. Was the comparison analogous enough for you to understand the relationship between UFC and MMA?

Thank you for the correction. Was the comparison analogous enough for you to understand the relationship between UFC and MMA?

But nobody would equate boxing with WBA or say they were watching "WBA".

I do see UFC as somewhat similar to WBA in terms of relationships to their respective sports but I would see the relationship and influence being a bit stronger for UFC as they are more actively involved in promotion and branding.

But when I said I wasn't that interested in UFC I was told kinda to leave the forum. Even when I tried to explain that I never said that about MMA. I was then told UFC is to MMA what the GAA is to hurling. Which I still don't think is true. But that's just my own opinion and I don't know all the ins and outs.

I would imagine that some of these regional tournaments and organizations might act as feeders to the bigger brand of UFC. And then wondered if they had any influence in rules etc. But from the responses above, they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

https://youtu.be/i_Ap5UBZhkw

Khabib says he fighting in sept

But nobody would equate boxing with WBA or say they were watching "WBA".

Are you saying that you don't understand the comparison I was trying to draw?
    I do see UFC as somewhat similar to WBA in terms of relationships to their respective sports but I would see the relationship and influence being a bit stronger for UFC as they are more actively involved in promotion and branding.

So you do understand the the comparison I was trying to draw
    But when I said I wasn't that interested in UFC I was told kinda to leave the forum. Even when I tried to explain that I never said that about MMA. I was then told UFC is to MMA what the GAA is to hurling. Which I still don't think is true. But that's just my own opinion and I don't know all the ins and outs.

I think I explained that point adequately already, I don't think it needs to be addressed again
    I would imagine that some of these regional tournaments and organizations might act as feeders to the bigger brand of UFC. And then wondered if they had any influence in rules etc. But from the responses above, they don't.

So you are aware that there are other organisations apart from the UFC? Yet in the post I responded to you acted like you weren't aware of this fact, and that all MMA fights fell under the auspices of the UFC.

I return to my original point. You are being deliberately obtuse, and you then choose to skirt the issue in question, or ignore sections of a post (as you did when you chose to ignore my comparison to the NBA and basketball, and instead focus on the minutae of how the WBA governs fights). Anyhow, this is tiresome, and I have beers in the fridge

Are you saying that you don't understand the comparison I was trying to draw?

So you do understand the the comparison I was trying to draw

I think I explained that point adequately already, I don't think it needs to be addressed again

So you are aware that there are other organisations apart from the UFC? Yet in the post I responded to you acted like you weren't aware of this fact, and that all MMA fights fell under the auspices of the UFC.

I return to my original point. You are being deliberately obtuse, and you then choose to skirt the issue in question, or ignore sections of a post (as you did when you chose to ignore my comparison to the NBA and basketball, and instead focus on the minutae of how the WBA governs fights). Anyhow, this is tiresome, and I have beers in the fridge

I actually thought that the NBA was a very good analogy. I had actually said that on my response before I clicked send but took it off in case I was accused of dragging the thread off-topic! Instead of continuing and looking like I was arguing I just corrected the point about the WBA as I felt there was a little misunderstanding there. Don't worry about it :-)

Ush1 wrote: »
    Is that what McGregor has said he wants?
    I don't think he has given a figure. I just pulled a reasonable number out of the air based on a conservative estimate.
    Checks for what exactly? what has they fight got to do with the UFC's checks.

There are medicals and doctors involved prior to UFC and other top tier professional fights, just like in boxing.
    The medical supervision for amateur level is less just like in boxing.
    Most mickey-mouse club boxing shows will have some sort of medic to check hands and listen to a heart before it. Do they do it at MMA shows in Ireland?
    At MMA shows in Ireland. Yes.
    But in Manaus brazil, one of the poorest parts of the country, there would be little regulation at mickey mouse shows - be they boxing, MMA or Bullfighting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Mellor wrote: »
    I don't think he has given a figure. I just pulled a reasonable number out of the air based on a conservative estimate.

I think it's reasonable to expect Conor wants more than 0.5% of the company. What's the point in speculating about boards, employee shares etc... when nobody actually knows how much he wants.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement