Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

That's my point. The arguement "he might be able to hang with khabib's wrestling because he was a D1 all American" holds very little weight ten years down the road when he's never shown that level of grappling in a cage.

But he has show that level , as I said who has taken him down when he hasn't been rocked ?

He uses his wrestling to stay standing which exactly what he needs it for against khabib
    I'm not saying he will take Khabib down im saying he will use it to keep the fight standing which suits him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

But he has show that level , as I said who has taken him down when he hasn't been rocked ?

He uses his wrestling to stay standing which exactly what he needs it for against khabib
    I'm not saying he will take Khabib down im saying he will use it to keep the fight standing which suits him

That's what I think myself and see him a live threat, hopefully we get to see it. The other strong possiblity is he gets ragdolled though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

ASOT wrote: »
    That's what I think myself and see him a live threat, hopefully we get to see it. The other strong possiblity is he gets ragdolled though :pac:

oh ye he could still get overwhelmed no doubt Khabib is just that good ,

oh ye he could still get overwhelmed no doubt Khabib is just that good ,

Justin's one of my favourite fiighters on the roster, especially after watching his mini doc. Would love to see him as champ.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

UFC 239 is on BT sport box office. Madness charging extra for that.

They'll lose customers over that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,321 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He was an all-American 10 years ago. How many times have you seen him wrestle since?

Agreed.
    There's levels to wrestling. Multiple all-Americans every year. Multiple all-Americans in the UFC. None of them have looked remotely as good as Khabib. The American wrestling elite are nowhere near the UFC.
    And neither are the Dagastani elites. Khabib, as good as he is, is second string. The elite guys would destroy him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Lucas Hood wrote: »

Isn't tonight the last free numbered card on BT ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭xtal191

What are they gonna be charging for numbered cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

They'll do fùck all business selling PPV's in the UK, they might get one event a year with McGregor if they're lucky.

Jesus I didn't know that, ah I'll cancel BT so. My IPTV is doing grand and I havnt got around to cancelling it but this will give me the push I needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭smilerf

First I've heard of this and I can't find anything on the net
    What's your source

• Registered Users Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

smilerf wrote: »
    What's your source

BT Sport literally had a press release about it today. Not that hard to search for.

Sickened over it btw. My interest in UFC has gone way down over the last few years, so I def won’t bother with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭The White Feather

What's your source

https://twitter.com/btsportufc/status/1137328916933296128

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

What's your source

BT themselves. Smartarße

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

They must be getting good amount of viewers if they think they'll get away with PPV.

callaway92 wrote: »
    BT Sport literally had a press release about it today. Not that hard to search for.

Sickened over it btw. My interest in UFC has gone way down over the last few years, so I def won’t bother with this.
    Feck let's hope it's a pilot and nobody orders

BT themselves. Smartarße
    Get stuffed I was asking a question. Idiot

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

BT themselves. Smartarße

Mod: Lose the attitude, he asked you a simple question...now give it a rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

When does the Eir Sport/BT Sports deal end? I recently left Eir so don't get it free anymore. Signed up at a scorching €30 a month and I'll be damned if pay any more.

I can't see this being anything other than a complete flop numbers wise.

Do BT Sport Box Office figures get released? No doubt the UFC will proclaim it a success but its guaranteed to be a turd.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    When does the Eir Sport/BT Sports deal end? I recently left Eir so don't get it free anymore. Signed up at a scorching €30 a month and I'll be damned if pay any more.

I can't see this being anything other than a complete flop numbers wise.

Do BT Sport Box Office figures get released? No doubt the UFC will proclaim it a success but its guaranteed to be a turd.

Earlier post about it here.2019 and beyond

• Advertisement

Earlier post about it here.2019 and beyond

2019 and beyond is the deal for the UFC to stay on BT Sport.

I'm talking about the deal to bundle BT Sport with Eir Sport.

Just wondering when I can cancel.

Sorry. I misunderstood.

I don't know about the bundle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭xtal191

DrPhilG wrote: »
    2019 and beyond is the deal for the UFC to stay on BT Sport.

I'm talking about the deal to bundle BT Sport with Eir Sport.

Just wondering when I can cancel.

Meant to be this summer, my guess is it'll be just before the new football season starts

https://www.todayfm.com/sport/sky-agree-deal-to-offer-bt-sport-as-part-of-their-package-in-ireland-327252

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

BT have an partnership with ESPN I. Europe. They were the hosts for and took over the. Original ESPN Europe network. They're pushing PPV because ESPN North America thing it will work.

It won't.

They will be back offering it for free to BT Sport customers for free next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Well this is certainly news. Can’t see it being a success. I record all the cards and try to watch them on the Sunday, although I’ve not bothered to watch the last few (yet, but probably won’t bother). Back to torrents I suppose.

I'll tell you what though. Between Bravo, Setanta, Eir/BT Sport we've had a good ride somehow avoiding PPV all these years.

The sport has received exposure it genuinely would not have gotten otherwise.

It's not rocket science though to know that for a still fairly niche sport in the UK and Ireland, sticking an event on PPV that runs from 1-6am, that must be watched live rather than recorded, and that will be widely available through illegitimate means - will NOT sell well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

It'll sell terribly. If it gets more than 10k buys, I'd be amazed.

The type of person who will stay up and watch a main event at 5 am....is the same type of person to have a peg leg, an eye patch and a parrot. There is a fairly big overlap there between these two groups.

Kirby wrote: »
    It'll sell terribly. If it gets more than 10k buys, I'd be amazed.

The type of person who will stay up and watch a main event at 5 am....is the same type of person to have a peg leg, an eye patch and a parrot. There is a fairly big overlap there between these two groups.

Dunno about that. If they are only putting your Jon Jones/McGregor type events on PPV then I’m guessing they have done enough market research at this stage to know that monetary-wise, it’s profitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭fitzparker

I assume PPV is going to be

>Jones
    >McGregor
    >MSG
    >Fight week

Anything other than this isn't worth it

Unless they start doing 1 night tournament type thing which will never happen

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement