Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

callaway92 wrote: »
    Still Ill wrote: »
    Does anyone even want to see Brock fight again? His last fight was garbage.

If he fights again it will probably be the biggest selling event outside of any McGregor/Rousey/Jones one in the last 5 years.

Do Jones fights actually sell that many? I'd imagine the last DC fight sold a lot, but i haven't heard how he normally does.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,321 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

derfderf wrote: »
    Do Jones fights actually sell that many? I'd imagine the last DC fight sold a lot, but i haven't heard how he normally does.

He's a few events in the 700-900k range. But those are his highest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

Mellor wrote: »
    He's a few events in the 700-900k range. But those are his highest.

Is there anywhere I can see layout of the numbers each fighter does. Or top 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Is there anywhere I can see layout of the numbers each fighter does. Or top 5
    Not by fighter but here are the biggest selling UFC PPV's. Jones v Gustafsson did 700,000 then 3 ppv's later Jones v Smith did 650,000. That is crazy considering the obvious mismatch that was Jones v Smith. Jon Jones is a real big money maker for them which is why he has never been fired. 2.2 million buys for his last 3 events. Controversy creates cash.

https://www.tapology.com/search/mma-event-figures/ppv-pay-per-view-buys-buyrate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Autecher wrote: »
    Not by fighter but here are the biggest selling UFC PPV's. Jones v Gustafsson did 700,000 then 3 ppv's later Jones v Smith did 650,000. That is crazy considering the obvious mismatch that was Jones v Smith. Jon Jones is a real big money maker for them which is why he has never been fired. 2.2 million buys for his last 3 events. Controversy creates cash.

https://www.tapology.com/search/mma-event-figures/ppv-pay-per-view-buys-buyrate

That's not fair on Smith. Gus gave Jones his hardest fight ever and Smith possibly just retired Gus. Smith is a very, very, very, good fighter. After Jones he's the best in the division at the minute and he's earned his shot and will earn his rematch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

mousasi claiming lovato was on PEDs when he beat him for the belt.

That's not fair on Smith. Gus gave Jones his hardest fight ever and Smith possibly just retired Gus. Smith is a very, very, very, good fighter. After Jones he's the best in the division at the minute and he's earned his shot and will earn his rematch.
    I meant mismatch going into the fight, as in I am surprised 650,000 people bought the ppv since it seemed like a foregone conclusion. At least with the second Gustafsson fight there was the history of Jones being pushed all the way in the first fight. I can't comment on the Smith fight itself because I haven't seen it, I don't watch Jon Jones fights.

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    mousasi claiming lovato was on PEDs when he beat him for the belt.
    I'm such a casual mma fan these days I thought at first you were referring to the singer Demi Lovato there!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

The high Jones PPV numbers are in part due to the stacked cards he main events.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

He’s still one of the biggest draws though - Probably the biggest active draw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Not to mention too honest could have bagged the victory from DQ that Jones put on a plate for him other fighters would have taken it. Smith even though he lost to Santos is a better all round fighter than Santos who will be banking on a big clobber if it doesn't come early the hope will be extinguished with his gas tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

So Jones would be around GSP level for ppvs? Not at the Ronda/Conor/Brock level, but ahead of the rest?

JJayoo wrote: »
    The high Jones PPV numbers are in part due to the stacked cards he main events.
    a bit of a chicken and egg situation.
    Do they use him to main even stacked cards, or do they stack cards around him.
    All the big cards, (189, 194, 200, 205, 229) are stacked.

derfderf wrote: »
    So Jones would be around GSP level for ppvs? Not at the Ronda/Conor/Brock level, but ahead of the rest?
    GSP would have been ahead. He probably averaged 200k more, over a large sample.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭uchimata83

a bit of a chicken and egg situation.
    Do they use him to main even stacked cards, or do they stack cards around him.
    All the big cards, (189, 194, 200, 205, 229) are stacked.

GSP would have been ahead. He probably averaged 200k more, over a large sample.

I think they stack his cards because of what happened at 151 and 200. They need a credible headliner if something comes up the week of the fight

link to the presser

tommyboy26 wrote: »

link to the presser

Rough start time?

Rough start time?

any minute now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Just watched the press conference.

Those next four numbered event main events are absolutely savage!!!
    Can’t wait for all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

This for the awards show or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Was there anything from that presser worth catching up on?

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Was there anything from that presser worth catching up on?

****e

• Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What’s the craic with Jon Jones..

Why is he still hanging around at 205, and not going for the top prize in the UFC?

walshb wrote: »

Why is he still hanging around at 205, and not going for the top prize in the UFC?

His awareness of size difference I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

He was banned for a while so he wants to fight as many times as possible and catch up on all the money he's lost.

Compared to 205 Divisions of the past, the current one is pretty easy pickings for someone like Jones so I'd imagine he wants to clear it out and then make the move to HW.

Also, the HW belt is not the top prize in the UFC. If you looked at the PPV buy rates, I'd guess that events headlined by HWs don't feature too strongly in the Top 10 or 20. And even further still, I'd imagine you'd have to go far down the list to find a HW headliner that didn't feature Brock Lesnar

MMA isn't boxing.
    The HW belt isn't the "top prize". Historically it's a very shallow division. And prior to the Jones era, the LHW belt was the most contested.

His awareness of size difference I'd imagine

That’s lame..

What about the challenge and wanting to be the best on earth?

He’s not small. Probably walks around 220s. Look at fat Cormier, whom he has beaten twice. He’s the best on “earth” according to him being UFC champion..

MMA isn't boxing.
    The HW belt isn't the "top prize". Historically it's a very shallow division. And prior to the Jones era, the LHW belt was the most contested.

I disagree. The UFC HW champion is D man...

Whatever about its comp level, it’s still the division at the top of the chain..

Guys, I wasn’t meaning top prize in terms of money or sales. I meant in terms of it being the top of the chain..the HW champ is D man..

• Advertisement

MMA fans don't see it that way. Most HW fights tend to be low skill and end up with two big lads huffing and puffing.

More people are interested in LWH, MW and below than HW.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement