Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,321 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

walshb wrote: »
    Whatever about importance of the belt, fans views etc, the HW division is the big men. They are the best on earth. Can (supposedly) beat all comers..

Same in boxing and wrestling; and in lifting weights, the HW men lift the heaviest..that is what we look for. Strongest, fastest, best...

Not comparing it to boxing. It’s obvious. The same view..

For me, Jones will not go down as greatest: That tag belongs to great big man. The best HW...

He needs to go to the top..then he can be considered.

Talent and skills I’d rate Jones the greatest..
    I understand what you are saying. I understood the first time. But I still disagree. You are basically saying "fan opinion doesn't matter", but then want us to accept your opinion as the defacto criteria.

The best on earth tagline holds little water too. Considering Cormier was LHW champ and defeated the HW champ.

Weightlifting is a bad comparison. The entire sport is built around the numbers on the bar. But has developed a way of comparing divisions. It's easy to prove that the best weightlifters of all time are not heavyweights.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Not to keep harping on, but I see some posters did get what I meant..

Better way to put it: you can only be considered the greatest if you are in the discussion/argument for being the man that, through history could beat any man that walked the earth...this pretty much rules out all men from 125 lbs to 205 lbs..

The 205 men could be looked at as LHW have big enough men..

But LHW men who ever tested themselves against the biggest men are not considered by me..

So I don’t care how great, for example, Mighty Mouse is, or GSP or Silva or BJ Penn is; they will never have a claim to being labeled the greatest. Far too many men knock them clean out.

p4p is a separate discussion...consider them here all day long.

And yes, the baddest man on the planet is also true for the HWs in the UFC..

Better way to put it: you can only be considered the greatest if you are in the discussion/argument for being the man that, through history could beat any man that walked the earth...this pretty much rules out all men from 125 lbs to 205 lbs.
    If we are talking about the greatest fighter in terms of who would win a fight. Then sure, that's pretty much going to be restricted to top HWs.
    But that's not the same as the greatest MMA fighter. In the latter, we consider their ability in terms of the sport overall.

I imagine being the "baddest man on the planet" is not the motivation for most fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Not to keep harping on, but I see some posters did get what I meant..

Better way to put it.......

It's a simple point. I (we?) get it. I (we?) just disagree. No point going over it again and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Not to keep harping on,

*proceeds to harp on...

;)

• Advertisement

Super-heavyweight is now officially renamed Rumble-weight

https://www.twitter.com/SUG_Grappling/status/1147952825768374272

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Mellor wrote: »
    Super-heavyweight is now officially renamed Rumble-weight

https://www.twitter.com/SUG_Grappling/status/1147952825768374272

Lighter than I thought he'd be, considering how gigantic he is now.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Lighter than I thought he'd be, considering how gigantic he is now.

Result:
    Craig Jones (205lbs) submits Rumble (279lbs) in 50 seconds.
    Who said 205ers can't beat the big bois.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭cletus

I know this is an MMA thread, but what do any of ye think about the SUG tag team matches. I can't figure whether I'm a fan or not

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

This is a really really good podcast between Paddy Holohan + Dan Healy.

Hopefully it brings to end some of the discussions + rumours regarding the sport in Ireland over the last few years.

It has some particularly good discussion on the Joao Carvalho situation.

I think Philip Mulpeter's GAMA will help re-establish an amatuer scene in Ireland properly. https://www.facebook.com/midlandsopenbjj/ they have ambitious plans for BJJ + MMA in Ireland.

Paddy speaks about traveling to the European Championships and speaking with coaches and fighters of other teams and associations, the true potential of this working is every club working together, be that training sessions, attendance at competitions, workshops open to all fighters. That's how the other teams have done well at high level.

Any European UFC events in the near future? I'm itching for a wee trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Copenhagen ?

dashoonage wrote: »
    Copenhagen ?

Just noticed that.

Also just remembered that Copenhagen is on my wife's list of places she wants to go.

Also noted that UFC Copenhagen is 4 days before her birthday...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Just noticed that.

Also just remembered that Copenhagen is on my wife's list of places she wants to go.

Also noted that UFC Copenhagen is 4 days before her birthday...

it would be morally wrong for you not to go to copenhagen and tell the missus its her present:P

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

tommyboy26 wrote: »

Tough fight for Kron too, definitely the best fighter he'll have faced so far in his career even taking into account Cubs tough run as of late.

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    Tough fight for Kron too, definitely the best fighter he'll have faced so far in his career even taking into account Cubs tough run as of late.

Maybe my bias is showing, but I think Kron smokes him within a round.

• Advertisement

He may well do, but it's still a legitimate step up in competition for him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

What I'd be worried about is Cub has a tendency to be submitted 7 submission loses.

It’s a step up from Alex Caceres definitely.
    Kron’s toughest opponent to say is probably Kawajiri. Who Cub beat by decision handily.

The fact Cub has devebt striking means Kron won’t arse about with “work” on his striking. Gracie stomp, level change, body lock, choke

It’s a step up from Alex Caceres definitely.
    Kron’s toughest opponent to say is probably Kawajiri. Who Cub beat by decision handily.

The fact Cub has devebt striking means Kron won’t arse about with “work” on his striking. Gracie stomp, level change, body lock, choke

That's definitely a scenario that I could see playing out. I could also see Cub having success on the feet and being able to maintain distance if Kron does indeed limit his strategies for closing the distance to the auld gracie stomp.

I think its a good match-up to see if Kron is as good as his early showings suggest, without absolutely throwing him to the lions. He's still very early into his mma career at the end of the day, despite his grappling credentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Kron has terrible striking (no shock since he thought he didn't need striking to win in MMA) and he's going to get his head taken off eventually but Cub is well past it having lost his last 4.

Fromvert wrote: »
    Kron has terrible striking (no shock since he thought he didn't need striking to win in MMA) and he's going to get his head taken off eventually but Cub is well past it having lost his last 4.

Issue is he just needs to avoid one or two and he will have you tied up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Have to agree once Kron faces a really strong wrestler its game over ,

It's a story we have seen many time like Maia who for my money has far better take downs and striking than Kron ( well at least what he has shown so far )

Have to agree once Kron faces a really strong wrestler its game over ,

It's a story we have seen many time like Maia who for my money has far better take downs and striking than Kron ( well at least what he has shown so far )

You think Maia is better then Kron on the ground? Really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Aspen Ladd had another awful looking weight cut going by the weigh in video, could barely stand.
    Didn't realise Faber was back for this one either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭cletus

You think Maia is better then Kron on the ground? Really.

Don't think he said that...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement