Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Aspen Ladd had another awful looking weight cut going by the weigh in video, could barely stand.
    Didn't realise Faber was back for this one either

Just after seeing it. She was literally grimacing in pain as she stepped onto the scales, looked like someone that could’ve fainted (or worse) at any moment.

It was much worse looking than her last one, and that’s really saying something. Shouldn’t be let near the octagon tomorrow night after a cut like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

martyos121 wrote: »
    Just after seeing it. She was literally grimacing in pain as she stepped onto the scales, looked like someone that could’ve fainted (or worse) at any moment.

It was much worse looking than her last one, and that’s really saying something. Shouldn’t be let near the octagon tomorrow night after a cut like that.
    Yeah her last one she looked like she was gonna collapse a few times, this was a lot worse.
    I really hope she's not cleared to fight, for her own good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Yeah her last one she looked like she was gonna collapse a few times, this was a lot worse.
    I really hope she's not cleared to fight, for her own good.

In case people didn't see it.

https://twitter.com/MARDUK_FFC/status/1149722246790836224

It looks like she will be cleared alright as CSAC physician Dr. Gary Furness said....

D_Swo2HUwAEyLQm.png

Then he said "Ladd will be checked 90 minutes before the fight, but he does not anticipate issues. Re: her shivering, he said: "A little bit of nerves. She's part of the main event and I believe she had missed weight in a previous fight. That was contributing to it, I believe."

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I like Aspen but she's gonna kill herself keeping that up. Shivering because of nerves? **** right off.

I think Ladd could be the next big thing in that division. Hopefully she finds a way to make the weight cut easier for herself in future fights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭cletus

I think the most disturbing aspect of that whole thing was making her flex and stand for pictures after watching what she had gone through

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You think Maia is better then Kron on the ground? Really.
    He said better takedowns not better on the ground. But head to head, Maia beats Kron.

I think people don’t realise how good Maia was at jiu jitsu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

cletus wrote: »
    I think the most disturbing aspect of that whole thing was making her flex and stand for pictures after watching what she had gone through

Couldn't watch that far. Always though the weight cutting aspect was something that needed addressed to something like ONE Championships standards but I'd never seen a tough one like that. Who is her opponent, if I was them I'd feel a bit sick at the prospect of hammering someone who was on the brink of collapsing so close to competition.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Mehaffey1 wrote: »
    Couldn't watch that far. Always though the weight cutting aspect was something that needed addressed to something like ONE Championships standards but I'd never seen a tough one like that. Who is her opponent, if I was them I'd feel a bit sick at the prospect of hammering someone who was on the brink of collapsing so close to competition.

She's fighting Germaine De Randamie.

Mellor wrote: »
    He said better takedowns not better on the ground. But head to head, Maia bears then Kron.

I think people don’t realise how good Maia was at jiu jitsu.
    He made Gunni look like a white belt, which is a fair achievement in itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Ok... a couple of questions that have been bugging me for years...

Firstly, what is the thingy they adjust on the scales when they're weighing them in and why don't they just use a digital scales?

Secondly, why does the fight clock disappear for the last ten seconds of a round?

Cheers, in anticipation!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Still Ill wrote: »

Firstly, what is the thingy they adjust on the scales when they're weighing them in and why don't they just use a digital scales?

Secondly, why does the fight clock disappear for the last ten seconds of a round?

Cheers, in anticipation!

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/108353478

Cheers, in anticipation!

The part they move is a small slider. It’s how those scales work. Slide it along and when it balances, you the weight.
    That’s a common medical scales. Much more accurate that digital.

The screen clock disappears because it’s not synchronised to the actual clock at ringside. If they kept it up it wouldn’t match the time the bell goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

She's fighting Germaine De Randamie.

Take back what I said, GDR is perhaps more than likely delighted then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

cletus wrote: »

that was tough to watch.

press can f**k off making her pose. ridiculous :mad:

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    that was tough to watch.

press can f**k off making her pose. ridiculous :mad:

I thought these weigh ins were done behind closed doors these days, and the ones we see are basically for entertainments sake??

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I thought these weigh ins were done behind closed doors these days, and the ones we see are basically for entertainments sake??

they make weight in the morning and then have ceremonial weight ins that night where they stand on the scales but weight is not taken

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    they make weight in the morning and then have ceremonial weight ins that night where they stand on the scales but weight is not taken

So this girl was on camera in the morning?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Do this girl was on camera in the morning?

Both weigh ins have press at them. The evening ones just have fans as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Not sure if it was already mentioned but Pettis Diaz has been added to UFC 241.

• Advertisement

This is insane.

Dropped and then knocked out maybe 3 times in the opening seconds.

https://www.twitter.com/mr_honky/status/1089288101313142784

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Ref wanted a death certificate before he stopped it, just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭cletus

Mellor wrote: »
    This is insane.

Dropped and then knocked out maybe 3 times in the opening seconds.

https://www.twitter.com/mr_honky/status/1089288101313142784

Looked a bit early to me. I mean, he wasn't even deaded. Ref was just giving him a chance to be a warrior

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Ridiculous stoppage, Walker was obviously going for a single leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Till on instagram looking much bigger and calling out all the Middleweights.

Lets see does the weight cut make a difference or is he just not rounded enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

rob316 wrote: »
    Till on instagram looking much bigger and calling out all the Middleweights.

Lets see does the weight cut make a difference or is he just not rounded enough.

Don't think that goes well for him. His style is very chin up in the air and middleweights with longer reaches and bigger power could be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Cowboy v Gaethje September 14. Oh mama.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Gotta admire the way Cowboy keeps fighting so often. Loves the game

I guess that just leaves Ferguson if McGregor plans to fights again anytime soon.

ASOT wrote: »
    Cowboy v Gaethje September 14. Oh mama.

Good Googly Moogly someone is getting seriously hurt in this fight:eek::eek:

Gotta admire the way Cowboy keeps fighting so often. Loves the game

I guess that just leaves Ferguson if McGregor plans to fights again anytime soon.

cant see that fight happening as i dont think conor wants that hard of a fight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Dana has said McGregor won't be fighting this year anyway.

He should just retire IMO.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement