Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

It's a pico assault charge... so as ye were

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Brendan Loughnane after getting signed up to PFL after missing out on a contract last month on Dana's Contender Series

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2019/07/pfl-brendan-loughnane-signs-pfl-after-dana-white-passed

• Registered Users Posts: 38,371 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

There's a young Australian lad whose parents are Irish who is building a very good reputation for himself in Australia. His name is Jamie Mullarkey. His first loss was to Alexander Volkanovski in a fight that many felt was likely to get the winner into the UFC and that happened. He was only 21 when he took that fight and lost his next fight, took time off to work on his strength and conditioning and got his act together after that. He is in much better shape now than he looked back then and has won his four fights since then.
    I think you'll see him get a shot at the UFC very shortly. I think he is a real good prospect now.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

eagle eye wrote: »
    There's a young Australian lad whose parents are Irish who is building a very good reputation for himself in Australia. His name is Jamie Mullarkey. His first loss was to Alexander Volkanovski in a fight that many felt was likely to get the winner into the UFC and that happened. He was only 21 when he took that fight and lost his next fight, took time off to work on his strength and conditioning and got his act together after that. He is in much better shape now than he looked back then and has won his four fights since then.
    I think you'll see him get a shot at the UFC very shortly. I think he is a real good prospect now.
    Jamie trains at my gym the odd time. He’s a good fighter. I’ve watch him for a few years as he’s my size. Comes down to spar with a pro in his division.
    I’d think either (or both) could get a spot on the October card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Chris Weidman is making his light heavyweight debut against Dominick Reyes in October. It looks like Cory Anderson is next in line for Jon Jones too, that fight will either be in MSG in November or the December ppv, providing of course Jon's possible legal issues are all sorted out.

Also Ariel says they are trying to make Ben Askren v Demian Maia for a fight in September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Autecher wrote: »
    It looks like Cory Anderson is next in line for Jon Jones too, that fight will either be in MSG in November or the December ppv, providing of course Jon's possible legal issues are all sorted out.

My God. LHW must be at the weakest it's ever been. Think of the names who used to fight in that division. Look at the guys Jon Jones has beaten in his time.

DC, Shogun, Rampage, Rashad, Lyoto, Vitor, Gustafsson...........

There were others like Chuck, Randy, Wandi, Tito etc.

Now look at it. Jones is on top and the best they can come up with is Corey Anderson? A guy with losses to Jimi Manuwa and Gian Valante?

The likes of Thiago Santos, Anthony Smith, Jan Blanchowicz.......... they wouldn't be fit to shine the shoes of half of the guys Jon Jones has beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

MrStuffins wrote: »
    My God. LHW must be at the weakest it's ever been. Think of the names who used to fight in that division. Look at the guys Jon Jones has beaten in his time.

Now look at it. Jones is on top and the best they can come up with is Corey Anderson? A guy with losses to Jimi Manuwa and Gian Valante?

The likes of Thiago Santos, Anthony Smith, Jan Blanchowicz.......... they wouldn't be fit to shine the shoes of half of the guys Jon Jones has beat.

Personally I think your wrong, Thiago Santos , Smith and Blanchowic would all have been good in the previous Era's

The issue is Jones,
    He is so good that he makes the rest look bad ,remember he handled all the other guys with ease to ,

If Jones never fought, Santos , Smith and Blanchowic would all be having great fights for the title and contender matches would be exciting
    Everyone would be saying wow the new bred is amazing, its just impossible to get excited for them because we all know once they get title shot they will lose to Jones,

Its like Welter weight seems so much better now because you don't have GSP dominating , its more exciting when the belt can be passed around and you don't know who is going to win

Well that's my two cents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

And yet Santos made Jones look cautious and boring and Smith literally just retired a relatively young Gus.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I agree with the above.
    Shogun, Machida, Rampage, Rashad, etc they all had built their reputation and legend statuses before they ran into Jones. Even if they all passed the belt around every second fight.
    The current breed have has a chance to achieve that. They just get de-railed by Jones. But they top guys are as good as previous generation imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭uchimata83

So is 240 going to be on BT sport box office?

Edit : still no pricing for BT on air, absolute shambles of a company

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭xtal191

uchimata83 wrote: »
    So is 240 going to be on BT sport box office?

Edit : still no pricing for BT on air, absolute shambles of a company

I could be wrong but I think you can only get BT through Sky now, don't think it'll be on Eir, Virgin etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭uchimata83

xtal191 wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I think you can only get BT through Sky now, don't think it'll be on Eir, Virgin etc

It will be available they've said (as an add on), the same way sky is at the moment. Was supposed to have been notified of pricing and everything by the end of June

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I spoke to Sky last week to organise an upgrade, asked about the BT pricing, they hadn't a clue but "expected" it to be soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭xtal191

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I spoke to Sky last week to organise an upgrade, asked about the BT pricing, they hadn't a clue but "expected" it to be soon.

Sky announced prices the other day, if you have Sky Sports subscription its €10 for 6 months then €20 after. €17/€34 if you just want BT on its own without Sky Sports.

Thanks

And ouch. I don't have Sky Sports. Might try and wangle an offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

BJs fighting Nik Lentz

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

ASOT wrote: »
    BJs fighting Nik Lentz

ffs :(

why are they giving him another fight :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's actually beyond pitiful at this stage. Surprised the UFC keep giving him fights at this point. It's like people tune in just to see how badly he gets beaten up.

There's a few of them now that desperately need to just hang up the gloves. Some people do remain competitive, either entirely or relatively speaking, as they hit the upper age limit, but BJ Penn is the furthest thing from that.

Frank Mir is another legendary fighter who I wish would hang up the gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

BJ Penn should be fighting hand picked bums, let him retire on a 3 fight win streak

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

JJayoo wrote: »
    BJ Penn should be fighting hand picked bums, let him retire on a 3 fight win streak

He wouldn't be able to beat hand picked bums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

BJs record in the 2010s. 11 fights, 1 win, 1 draw, 9 losses.

What the fook is he doing fighting? The most overrated fighter of all time. Decent 3 year run nearly 20 years ago. Whos he beaten? Serra and Hughes? Lost to everyone else decent. Sad stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The Nal wrote: »
    BJs record in the 2010s. 11 fights, 1 win, 1 draw, 9 losses.

What the fook is he doing fighting? The most overrated fighter of all time. Decent 3 year run nearly 20 years ago. Whos he beaten? Serra and Hughes? Lost to everyone else decent. Sad stuff.

BJ is a legend. He was Lightweight Champion and defended 3 times. No other LW has defended more than BJ. And each of those defenses was a bloody and brutal stoppage. He wasn't eeking out Split Decisions like Bendo

He also won the WW belt and beat a man who was possibly the most dominant fighter of his era. Hughes was at the peak of his powers. In fact, it's not long after this that he beat GSP.

He also beat prime Takanori Gomi. None of this even mentions his role in the early UFC days, fighting the likes of Pulver, Uno, Thomas etc.

He should have retired a long time ago and he should not be fighting, but it's silly to describe BJ's illustrious career as "A decent 3 year run".

BJ is a legend. He was Lightweight Champion and defended 3 times. No other LW has defended more than BJ. And each of those defenses was a bloody and brutal stoppage. He wasn't eeking out Split Decisions like Bendo

He also won the WW belt and beat a man who was possibly the most dominant fighter of his era. Hughes was at the peak of his powers. In fact, it's not long after this that he beat GSP.

He also beat prime Takanori Gomi. None of this even mentions his role in the early UFC days, fighting the likes of Pulver, Uno, Thomas etc.

He should have retired a long time ago and he should not be fighting, but it's silly to describe BJ's illustrious career as "A decent 3 year run".

Most of those things you mentioned happened in the space of about 3 years. 2001 to 2004. He has only won 7 fights from 21 since then, in the last 15 years! From age 26 onwards. Lost 13.

We're not considering Stevenson, Florian etc greats are we? Sanchez was a warrior fair enough.

Not trying to knock him for no reason, loved watching him fight back then, "overrated" doesn't mean "shít", excellent career in parts him but I do remember having this conversation after the Edgar fights. I just find the "legendary", "one of the best ever" chat a bit OTT.

Shouldn't be fighting of course but I guess he wants to go out on a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,371 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The Nal wrote:
    I just find the "legendary", "one of the best ever" chat a bit OTT.
    How many fighters in the hall of fame? He is one of them, so one of the greatest ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

BJ v CM Punk is the only fight to make

eagle eye wrote: »
    How many fighters in the hall of fame? He is one of them, so one of the greatest ever.

On his day, incredible. But his entire career has been patchy to say the least.

Anyway interestingly his ex says he uses fight camps to stay off coke which may explain a lot.

Thats an even fight these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Imagine bj lost that as well :-(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I just read that Volkanovski used to weight around 95 kilos when he played rugby, that's some change compared to now.

Just heard an interview with him where he discusses his cutting routine, said he's usually around 74kg 2/3 weeks out and that's not too far off his normal weight.
    Nice interview actually, seems like an interesting guy https://www.facebook.com/Thelockerroomnetwork/videos/vb.546253932181137/997447040395155/?type=2&theater

I just noticed that the main card for UFC on ESPN 5 (Lawler v Covington) kicks off at 8PM Irish Time. Any particular reason for this?

• Advertisement

I just noticed that the main card for UFC on ESPN 5 (Lawler v Covington) kicks off at 8PM Irish Time. Any particular reason for this?

I think I did hear the commentator last week say that it was a special matinee time kick off. Not sure why.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement