Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'd love to know the figures for the last PPV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

xtal191 wrote: »
    Maybe they made it PPV cause its on at reasonable time for us

This exactly. Very few will pay for PPV at 4am

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Well I can imagine any PPV they get is an increase on their intake?
    As in if you already have BT you have already paid so the income from PPV can only increase and not decrease the revenue.
    Unless they pay some fee to have it on PPV and the uptake doesn’t match the fee, or they pay out a % of The PPV which would only increase the income still.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

XsApollo wrote: »
    As in if you already have BT you have already paid so the income from PPV can only increase and not decrease the revenue.
    Unless they pay some fee to have it on PPV and the uptake doesn’t match the fee, or they pay out a % of The PPV which would only increase the income still.

Yes, short term.

Long term however, i'd imagine the number of people who subscribe to BT just for UFC content is a decent part of their base. Many of those who were already on the verge of "walking the plank" will take this opportunity to now do so.

So rather than getting €25 a month out of them, they'll now get nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭uchimata83

XsApollo wrote: »

The thing with it is, they are just making it more and more difficult to watch events. I used pay for events previously through the site and watch them on there either that night or the next morning.

If I want to watch it now, rather than 20 euros going directly to the UFC, I've to sign up to sky, have the BT sport pack and also pay the ppv fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

uchimata83 wrote: »
    The thing with it is, they are just making it more and more difficult to watch events. I used pay for events previously through the site and watch them on there either that night or the next morning.

If I want to watch it now, rather than 20 euros going directly to the UFC, I've to sign up to sky, have the BT sport pack and also pay the ppv fee.
    It’s not really the UFC being difficult. I’m sure they be happy to have your money. But BT sports own the exclusive rights now.

Mellor wrote: »
    It’s not really the UFC being difficult. I’m sure they be happy to have your money. But BT sports own the exclusive rights now.

The UFC are choosing that route, I'm assuming that the blackout is part of the contract, put there by BT and enforced by the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Ya the blackout if a pain in the hole...id pay for fightpass and the ppv's directly to the ufc if the ppv cost was a little more reasonable

The UFC are choosing that route, I'm assuming that the blackout is part of the contract, put there by BT and enforced by the UFC.
    It would be fairly stupid of BT to not have it in the contract tbh.
    Of course they are sticking to it. They'd be in breach of the contract if they didn't.

What do you want instead. Remove all UFC events from the TV so you can buy a random PPV for $20. Kind of a cutting off your nose to spite your face solution tbh.

Of course they are sticking to it. They'd be in breach of the contract if they didn't.

What do you want instead. Remove all UFC events from the TV so you can buy a random PPV for $20. Kind of a cutting off your nose to spite your face solution tbh.

I'll get my ship out and set sail. Whats the alternative? Pay sky 30 a month, then add on BT for another 20 a month, then 20 for the ppv?

Whether its music movies or sport, if you make it easy for the consumer nobody has a problem paying for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I'll get my ship out and set sail. Whats the alternative? Pay sky 30 a month, then add on BT for another 20 a month, then 20 for the ppv?

Whether its music movies or sport, if you make it easy for the consumer nobody has a problem paying for it.
    UFC have always cared about money over everything else.
    They don't care if other people are getting shafted as long as they get their money, always been this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭cletus

They're only on TV if you have a Sky subscription, and then a BT sub on top of that. I personally only use free to air channels, wouldn't go back to paying a TV provider again.

They have a ready-made platform in Fight Pass. I don't understand why they don't make fight night fights available for the price of subscription (or even increase sub price by a few euro) and then allow people to pay for the ppv through the app.

Surely this would cut out all contract negotiations with various TV companies around the globe, and the money then goes straight to the UFC without having to pay a broadcaster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

IPTV

cletus wrote: »
    They're only on TV if you have a Sky subscription, and then a BT sub on top of that. I personally only use free to air channels, wouldn't go back to paying a TV provider again.

They have a ready-made platform in Fight Pass. I don't understand why they don't make fight night fights available for the price of subscription (or even increase sub price by a few euro) and then allow people to pay for the ppv through the app.

Surely this would cut out all contract negotiations with various TV companies around the globe, and the money then goes straight to the UFC without having to pay a broadcaster
    They did, before the BT deal. I know a lot of people cancelled the Fight Pass subscription because it was useless for trying to watch fights once the BT deal kicked in.

[

I’m asking what’s the “easy for the consumer” option? I mean legally.

People aren’t happy with it being on BT. I doubt they’d be happy with online only with PPV for every numbered event.

I’m asking what’s the “easy for the consumer” option? I mean legally.

People aren’t happy with it being on BT. I doubt they’d be happy with online only with PPV for every numbered event.

UFC app/site is gone because of the BT deal so let BT host the PPV on their website - where I can pay 20 euros or whatever and login when I wake up Sunday morning and watch the card.

cletus wrote: »
    Obviously it’d be great if RTE picked it up. But it’s a premium production, of a niche sport, kinda have to expect it to be monetised. Although Sky would be better than BT.

Some people would like that option. Others would be pissed paying for PPV for every numbered event.

I’m sure they've considered it. But I doubt the PPV historically data is great for UK abd Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭cletus

Obviously it’d be great if RTE picked it up. But it’s a premium production, of a niche sport, kinda have to expect it to be monetised. Although Sky would be better than BT.

Some people would like that option. Others would be pissed paying for PPV for every numbered event.

I’m sure they've considered it. But I doubt the PPV historically data is great for UK abd Ireland.

I had no expectation of it reaching RTE (although TV3 had delayed coverage for a while)

Although ppv has been poor for Ireland and UK, as you've pointed out, they are still trialing it.

It could be offered as it is at the moment on BT, but through Fight Pass instead. That way people could pay a subscription for a service that they want, instead of paying for a service they don't want in order to pay for one they do.

I'd be pretty annoyed if I had to pay for Sky to get Netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

WWE Network has all ppvs included for the price of subscription which is around €10.00 a month, the same as fight pass.

Yet Sky were still charging €25.00 or so for the ppvs over here. Must have been a weird contract that Sky and WWE were both happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Dana White posting like yer auntie Sandra on Facebook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Dana White posting like yer auntie Sandra on Facebook

English rugby player Haskell signs with Bellator.
    Big unit.

https://www.mmafighting.com/platform/amp/2019/8/22/20827875/english-rugby-star-james-haskell-signs-for-bellator

Obviously a late transfer in terms of age so more a novelty interest thing I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

glasso wrote: »
    English rugby player Haskell signs with Bellator.
    Big unit.

https://www.mmafighting.com/platform/amp/2019/8/22/20827875/english-rugby-star-james-haskell-signs-for-bellator

Obviously a late transfer in terms of age so more a novelty interest thing I guess

He's been training MMA, primarily wrestling for the last 5 years, hopefully he can does alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

It's bellator so they will feed him bums.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

It's bellator so they will feed him bums.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Royce Gracie special guest for the opening of the new SBG HQ.

ASOT wrote: »
    He's been training MMA, primarily wrestling for the last 5 years, hopefully he can does alright.
    A pro rugby player that can wrestle is a formidable enough combo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Anyone remember this young English guy who was a rugby player turned wrestler years ago, at a time when no English guy could wrestle? Whatever happened to him

Anyone remember this young English guy who was a rugby player turned wrestler years ago, at a time when no English guy could wrestle? Whatever happened to him
    Do you mean Greco/Freestyle wrestling. Or Pro-wrestling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

John Hathaway ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement