Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The Nal wrote: »
    Oh sure, I don't have his tshirt or anything!

Spose I mean Id be interested to see him progress and if his BJJ is as good as they say.

I do like a good trash talker though.

He's got good BBJJ but not nearly as good as he thinks he is, he give the real stand out guys a good contest but he never really gets across the line like against Toner twice and Jake shields for example,

Also he tries to copy Conor's striking style and stance which will get him ko'd out when he steps up

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 11,545 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

How the hell does Usman make 170lbs???

Would very much look forward to see these 2 have a go at each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,376 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Gintonious wrote:
    Would very much look forward to see these 2 have a go at each other.
    Usman would destroy him.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,325 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He's got good BBJJ but not nearly as good as he thinks he is, he give the real stand out guys a good contest but he never really gets across the line like against Toner twice and Jake shields for example,

Also he tries to copy Conor's striking style and stance which will get him ko'd out when he steps up
    He most in EBI over time to Jake Shields, kinda different as you have to allow the other guy get into a submission after a draw.
    He lost to Tonon and Gordon Ryan by referee decision, which isn't like in MMA winning on points. In BJJ that happens when all points are equal and the ref picks a winner. He's on the wrong side of both of those pick, but the list of people who are facing Ryan in ADCC rules and not losing is absolutely tiny.

That was 2 years ago though, and not sure how much work he's putting into his grappling since being kicked out of Marcelo's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,604 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Gintonious wrote: »

On JRE podcast the other day, he said he's always training and was knocking about at 197 on his way into camp for Colby but would usually be 191/192 where he said is the perfect weight, that he feels fast and powerful at.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,545 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

eagle eye wrote: »
    Usman would destroy him.

Don't think he would destroy him, I like Masvidal but Usman is the toughest fight for him by miles, his size and wrestling make him terrifying.

Would still root for Masvidal for the KO though.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Mellor wrote: »
    He most in EBI over time to Jake Shields, kinda different as you have to allow the other guy get into a submission after a draw.
    He lost to Tonon and Gordon Ryan by referee decision, which isn't like in MMA winning on points. In BJJ that happens when all points are equal and the ref picks a winner. He's on the wrong side of both of those pick, but the list of people who are facing Ryan in ADCC rules and not losing is absolutely tiny.

That was 2 years ago though, and not sure how much work he's putting into his grappling since being kicked out of Marcelo's.

He lost it Tonon twice. The first time he had his knee ripped apart.

He lost it Tonon twice. The first time he had his knee ripped apart.

Yup, at ADCC in 2015. I that's his only submission loss.
    He was a fairly recent black belt then, a few months maybe. Hardly any shame in losing to Tonon in your debut year, he had a few years at black under his belt at that point.
    Same way Tonon lost to Kron in one of his debut matches.

Pretty **** news for Rafael Lovato Jr. Recently diagnosed with a rare brain condition that means he's been forced to retire.
    An legend in the BJJ world and an MMA world champion. Hope he can get whatever treatment he needs to stay as healthy as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭VW 1

Pretty **** news for Rafael Lovato Jr. Recently diagnosed with a rare brain condition that means he's been forced to retire.
    An legend in the BJJ world and an MMA world champion. Hope he can get whatever treatment he needs to stay as healthy as possible.

Did you listen to him on JRE? It's not life threatening, and he's still in th process of proving he's ok to fight, not retired, just taking a break until it's proven safe.

I know exactly what its like ,
    He's a good grappler no doubt about it but would you rate him as a grappling prodigy ? I wouldn't

Look at guys like Kron it just isn't enough if you want to be a top end MMA star these days ,

Danis will never be big MMA star, its not by coincidence he is calling out Youtubers for boxing matches he knows himself he aint getting near the top of MMA ,

I know exactly what its like ,
    He's a good grappler no doubt about it but would you rate him as a grappling prodigy ? I wouldn't

Look at guys like Kron it just isn't enough if you want to be a top end MMA star these days ,

Danis will never be big MMA star, its not by coincidence he is calling out Youtubers for boxing matches he knows himself he aint getting near the top of MMA ,
    I’d consider him very good, better than he gets credit for. But not a prodigy by any means.

In MMA, he’s absolutely nowhere near as good. His call outs are very sad.

I’d consider him very good, better than he gets credit for. But not a prodigy by any means.

In MMA, he’s absolutely nowhere near as good. His call outs are very sad.

I agree with you completely , but I also stand by my comment that he is not as good as HE thinks he is at grappling ,

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Posts moved..no need for another McGregor discussion here when there is a dedicated thread for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Senor Frog

You have to wonder how the man can walk after doing a set of these !

https://twitter.com/MMAEejit/status/1224396637054828544?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Senor Frog wrote: »
    You have to wonder how the man can walk after doing a set of these !

Muay Thai conditioning. Nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Muay Thai conditioning. Nasty.
    That'd be a bit worse than kicking a heavy bag hard, hardly nasty.

And Khabib won't likee seeing that. If he takes his legs out he isn't such a threat on the ground.

Tazzimus wrote:
    That'd be a lot worse than kicking a heavy bag hard, hardly nasty.
    Fyp

• Advertisement

Fyp
    He's not exactly belting the tyre with kicks.
    Kick a heavy bag at full power and you'll feel it.
    This is just Tony's version of kicking a heavy bag, because Tony.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

And Khabib won't likee seeing that. If he takes his legs out he isn't such a threat on the ground.

Hard to kick with those legs when the eagle has them tied up in a knot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

He needs to do it properly and go out into the Asian forests and start kicking down trees.

Tazzimus wrote:
    He's not exactly belting the tyre with kicks. Kick a heavy bag at full power and you'll feel it. This is just Tony's version of kicking a heavy bag, because Tony.
    I'll ask you a question and then answer it for you. Have you ever done kick training?
    Your answer: No.

I'll ask you a question and then answer it for you. Have you ever done kick training?
    I have actually (if you actually mean shin conditioning). I do Muay Thai, as well as BJJ and a bit of wrestling when I can make the class.
    Have done for a few years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Doing something a few times for the camera doesn't mean you do it regularly.

What “kick training” are you talking about? Do you “kick train”?
    Plenty of people train Muay Thai if that’s what you mean.

I honestly think it didn’t look much worse either. It’s spread over a large flattish area. I’ve seen much worse from Tony.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

What “kick training” are you talking about? Do you “kick train”?
    Plenty of people train Muay Thai if that’s what you mean.

I honestly think it didn’t look much worse either. It’s spread over a large flattish area. I’ve seen much worse from Tony.

At least he's not kicking a metal pole or deadlifting with the worst form in the history of man again.

Khabib will be banking on Tony throwing leg kicks as an opening for a low single.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

He needs to do it properly and go out into the Asian forests and start kicking down trees.
    Wither the palm tree.
    tenor.gif?itemid=12292495

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement