Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭cletus

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I think Tony will have too much faith in his ground game and won't scramble for his life like every other fighter Khabib has fought, and he will go to the ground looking to attack from the bottom and Khabib will smash him

• Registered Users Posts: 39,325 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

JJayoo wrote: »
    I think Tony will have too much faith in his ground game and won't scramble for his life like every other fighter Khabib has fought, and he will go to the ground looking to attack from the bottom and Khabib will smash him

Agree. I made the same point a while ago. See it a lot with very good grapplers vrs the best grapplers. (Gunni V Maia)

Tony will think his 10th planet jiu jitsu is too crazy for Khabib, and concede going to the mat. Won’t help with Eddie blowing smoke in his ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Mellor wrote: »
    Agree. I made the same point a while ago. See it a lot with very good grapplers vrs the best grapplers. (Gunni V Maia)

Tony will think his 10th planet jiu jitsu is too crazy for Khabib, and concede going to the mat. Won’t help with Eddie blowing smoke in his ear.

I think what is so exiting about this fight is tony wont be afraid of takedown . I think alot of this fight will be on the feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

US2 wrote: »
    I think what is so exiting about this fight is tony wont be afraid of takedown . I think alot of this fight will be on the feet.

I think Tony giving up the takedown might work in his favour, compared to fighting it at least. The normal thing to do is fight the takedown, but trying that leaves you hopping on one leg and getting backed against the cage. That's where Khabib does his smeshing.

• Advertisement

derfderf wrote: »
    I think Tony giving up the takedown might work in his favour, compared to fighting it at least. The normal thing to do is fight the takedown, but trying that leaves you hopping on one leg and getting backed against the cage. That's where Khabib does his smeshing.

Will be very interesting either way.

Who's the best BJJ credentials so far that khabib has fought ?

Who's the best BJJ credentials so far that khabib has fought ?

Probably Gleison Tibau.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

It may work somewhat in his favour as he won't be afraid to attack on the ground rather than trying to fend off Khabib. Whether or not it'll actually work though is another thing.

I'm not sure he'll have enough to beat Khabib, but I think he'll do damage to him at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I think what is so exiting about this fight is tony wont be afraid of takedown .

.....until the first takedown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Any idea what time the Jones fight will be on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Any idea what time the Jones fight will be on?

Sometime after 4.30

Still Ill wrote: »
    Sometime after 4.30

More like 5:30 I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think the fight rest on Tony being able to create space to get elbows off in the grappling exchanges ,
    Khabib kills people from given them zero space, Tony seems to always be bale to create space so very interesting to see who can get there job done ,

I'd love to see Tony take this late in the fight, It be typical Tony and as crazy as he is id love to see him champion ,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I just think back to how easily Kevin Lee took down and controlled Tony.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

JJayoo wrote: »
    I just think back to how easily Kevin Lee took down and controlled Tony.

Tony mainly beat the **** out of him from his back

Beersmith wrote: »
    Tony mainly beat the **** out of him from his back

Kevin Lee isn’t nearly as good a wrestler as Khabib. I think the point was if Lee gets him down easily than Khabib has no trouble with Tony’s TDD.
    What happens from there decides it all imo.

Kevin Lee isn’t nearly as good a wrestler as Khabib. I think the point was if Lee gets him down easily than Khabib has no trouble with Tony’s TDD.
    What happens from there decides it all imo.

That's kinda MMA math though,
    Tony didn't respect Lee's ground game and was happy enough to over extend and out himself in postion where he might end up on his back as he was confident he could still win form there,

He may do the same with Khabib or he may respect khabib ground game more and focus on not ending up down there,

Approaches may differ for different opponents

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Brad Katona's been cut

• Registered Users Posts: 29,832 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

ASOT wrote: »
    Brad Katona's been cut

Bit harsh, i liked Brad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

That's kinda MMA math though,
    Tony didn't respect Lee's ground game and was happy enough to over extend and out himself in postion where he might end up on his back as he was confident he could still win form there,

He may do the same with Khabib or he may respect khabib ground game more and focus on not ending up down there,

Approaches may differ for different opponents

I don't know, did Lee not pass his guard and mount him easily as well? Lee obviously gassed hard in that fight.

Saying that I'd put Lee as pretty close to Khabib in the grappling stakes, tapped Chiesa with ease as well.

Tonys ground game is very over-rated imo, I'd love to be proven wrong though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Bit harsh, i liked Brad.

Me too, bit of a strange one

darced wrote: »
    I don't know, did Lee not pass his guard and mount him easily as well? Lee obviously gassed hard in that fight.
    I seem to remember the same. Tony caught him because Lee was a silly mistake.
    Tony'd triangle was a little odd.

I'll have to watch it back tbh.
    Tonys ground game is very over-rated imo, I'd love to be proven wrong though.

I've said that for a long time. Never understood people raving about his elite jiu jitsu when he was a brown belt.
    Belts aren't the be-all end-all, but if he was actually that good, Eddie would have already promoted him to black belt.

I'd love to be proven wrong. I'd also love to be proven right too. :D

I seem to remember the same. Tony caught him because Lee was a silly mistake.
    Tony'd triangle was a little odd.

I'll have to watch it back tbh.

I've said that for a long time. Never understood people raving about his elite jiu jitsu when he was a brown belt.
    Belts aren't the be-all end-all, but if he was actually that good, Eddie would have already promoted him to black belt.

I'd love to be proven wrong. I'd also love to be proven right too. :D

I think hes got a wicked choke and triangle and can make space to attack from the bottom, but his positional BJJ is not great ,
    He's not one for controlling position I think he genuinely prefers when its a frantic scramble

I think hes got a wicked choke and triangle and can make space to attack from the bottom, but his positional BJJ is not great ,
    He's not one for controlling position I think he genuinely prefers when its a frantic scramble
    Agree with that. His darce is very good.
    I think people rave about his because it's frantic and flashy. Where as solid fundamental jiu jitsu looks boring. I think style over fundamentals is very much a 10th planet thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Thats how I see him too but that doesn't work against elite grapplers, guys like Khabib don't do frantic scrambles, its all pressure and control.

Hope we get to see it anyway.

darced wrote: »
    Thats how I see him too but that doesn't work against elite grapplers, guys like Khabib don't do frantic scrambles, its all pressure and control.

Hope we get to see it anyway.

Tony will no doubt be working on some kinda crazy Elbows from the bottom,
    One thing he is very very creative and why his scrabbles work better than anyone's is because of his gas tank
    He will scramble like hell for the full 5 minutes of the 5 rounds if he has to ,

I think everyone knows Khabib will be in control of Tony on the ground for a round or two or three , Its what happens if he doesn't get Tony out of there will he control him in the 4th and 5th that interests me ,

Don't forget Dustin got a really tight choke on Khabib if that was Tony it was done,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭VW 1

Agree with that. His darce is very good.
    I think people rave about his because it's frantic and flashy. Where as solid fundamental jiu jitsu looks boring. I think style over fundamentals is very much a 10th planet thing.

How strong is Eddie's game? Was he elite before injuries or is he just a good teacher and sales person?

VW 1 wrote: »
    How strong is Eddie's game? Was he elite before injuries or is he just a good teacher and sales person?

Eddie is elite, videos of him online beatin Gracie I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Eddie is elite, videos of him online beatin Gracie I think
    Ah yes, the lone Gracie.

• Advertisement

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Ah yes, the lone Gracie.

Royler is it.?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement