Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,325 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

eagle eye wrote: »
    To name just a few. Masvidal, Hardy, Koppenhaver, Penn.
    Hardy?
    Not sure what that refers to tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Mellor wrote: »
    Hardy?
    Not sure what that refers to tbh.

I was confused too, but I’m guessing he means Greg Hardy, not Dan.

Also, why Masvidal? I know he had a rough background, but he doesn’t seem too much of a scumbag. Him punching Leon Edwards and taunting Ben Askren were both kinda provoked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

To name just a few. Masvidal, Hardy, Koppenhaver, Penn.

Last three maybe but they are good company with Jones not polar opposites like you were making out!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,325 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

CM24 wrote: »
    I was confused too, but I’m guessing he means Greg Hardy, not Dan.

Ah right. Tbh honest, don’t even count him as an MMA fighter. And even so, Jones being 5th or 6th worst is nowhere near the bottom. There’s a silly number of fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,376 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Beersmith wrote:
    Last three maybe but they are good company with Jones not polar opposites like you were making out!
    Beating up women, sexual assault, rape. That's the last three you mention.
    Are you putting Jon Jones in that category?

• Advertisement

Beating up women, sexual assault, rape. That's the last three you mention.
    Are you putting Jon Jones in that category?

Look you said be was on the other end of the the scale, clearly not true. No one said he was the absolute worst of the worst.

Beersmith wrote:
    Look you said be was on the other end of the the scale, clearly not true. No one said he was the absolute worst of the worst.

You say d those three are goid company with Jones. Do you even realise you said that?

You say d those three are goid company with Jones. Do you even realise you said that?

Yes, he drunkenly drove a car, crashed into a pregnant women, could have killed someone! That is pretty ****ty. Even after has now repeated tbe behaviour. Really bad imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

The man is a literal **** stain of a human.
    He might not be top of the list, but he's not far off it either.

Ok i do now see you did say if you made a list of scum fighters not all fighters. I think we can still call him that, just becauses others have done worse doesn't mean he isn't scum himself

• Advertisement

Beersmith wrote:
    Ok i do now see you did say if you made a list of scum fighters not all fighters. I think we can still call him that, just becauses others have done worse doesn't mean he isn't scum himself
    Glad you finally copped on.
    Guy clearly is an idiot and has drink and drug issues. Leaving the scene of an accident is bad, been the victim of a hit and run myself recently, but raping, sexually assaulting and beating up women is on a different level imo. You've got lots of worse people than Jon Jones in MMA unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

What's so bad about Matt Hughes?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Ush1 wrote: »

I asked that question once too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Ush1 wrote: »

Google it. Beat up his wife and kids for a start

• Registered Users Posts: 20,755 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Anyone any idea of where khabib v Ferguson will be held,
    Sounds like outside America as Rogan said he is not on the commentary team and he doesn't do shows out of the US

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Google it. Beat up his wife and kids for a start

And beat up his dad.

He seems like an all round ****ty human

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

CM24 wrote: »
    Also, why Masvidal? I know he had a rough background, but he doesn’t seem too much of a scumbag. Him punching Leon Edwards and taunting Ben Askren were both kinda provoked.

The Askren thing is more classless than scummy behaviour but the Edwards incident was a joke - the media basically portrayed it as 'Don't mess with Jorge' 'Jorge is always game to throw down' '3 piece and soda etc.' when he essentially walked up to a guy talking a bit of smack (as fighters do often) and straight up assaulted him.

FWIW - I have more of a problem with how MMA media spun that story than Masvidal in general

*Edit - BJ Penn making this list - he's been a scumbag for a while now it seems except when he's in the cage where he channels his inner pussycat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

D'Agger wrote: »
    The Askren thing is more classless than scummy behaviour but the Edwards incident was a joke - the media basically portrayed it as 'Don't mess with Jorge' 'Jorge is always game to throw down' '3 piece and soda etc.' when he essentially walked up to a guy talking a bit of smack (as fighters do often) and straight up assaulted him.

FWIW - I have more of a problem with how MMA media spun that story than Masvidal in general

*Edit - BJ Penn making this list - he's been a scumbag for a while now it seems except when he's in the cage where he channels his inner pussycat

Never liked BJ Penn either, for years, long before the recent stories about him getting into fights in strip clubs etc. Always got the scumbag vibe from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,004 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Matt Hughes used to be my favourite fighter, then I read his book.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

That’s not a fun watch. Although I do my feel a bit more empathy for him than I did earlier, the guy clearly has some serious issues. It really makes that whole ufc promotion of his ‘redemption’ seem worse.

Easy Rod wrote: »
    That’s not a fun watch. Although I do my feel a bit more empathy for him than I did earlier, the guy clearly has some serious issues. It really makes that whole ufc promotion of his ‘redemption’ seem worse.

Why more empathy? Because he said 'yes, sir' politely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Beersmith wrote: »

Do you have less empathy seeing the video?

I can see why the video might soften someone's stance on things. I'd empathise with him regardless, despite what many people like to think, no one actively chooses to constantly **** up their life.

I obviously wouldn't condone his actions in the slightest either.

No less or more, what's there to change ones mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

In the US is police bodycam footage legally releasable to the public?

I would have thought that anything that could be used as evidence should be kept for the court/judge??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Beersmith wrote: »

I guess in my head I was thinking he was belligerent and manic, in the video he was more contrite and on the verge of a breakdown. I’m not sure if empathy was the right word. I started watching the video and I was angry and when it was over I was just sad. I dunno man.

I think I'd fail that test cold sober.

I'd have a minute amount of sympathy if this was a one off for Jones.

It's not. By my count this would be his third DUI, his worst being the accident with the pregnant woman.

He was also cautioned for driving his car in an aggressive manner after that incident. Why the fùck is allowed to drive, I'll never know.

He clearly has issues but that's no excuse. He keeps going the way he's going he'll kill someone. He should go to jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭cletus

Why all the tests? Why not just have him do a breadth test?

• Advertisement

cletus wrote: »
    Why all the tests? Why not just have him do a breadth test?

I couldn't agree more. He told them he had a drink. Skip the bullshìt and breathalyse him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement