Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Because that's how it's policed. The merits of field sobriety tests are debatable but that's what's used to establish probable cause for arrest. Some cities/states probably too cheap to give their officers portable breath tests.

Either way, the definitive test is always done back at the police station.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

According to Ariel they found a handgun, a spent round, some weed & a 75cl bottle of spirits with only a 1/4 left in the bottle in the car when he was arrested.

He's an absolute clown.

Do we reckon he could do some jail time?

Just to add to above, reading into it there a good chance he will do some jail time if they take this as his second offence. Decent article from mma fighting about it.

[url]Https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/3/28/21196542/defense-attorneys-2012-dui-covid-19-could-throw-curveball-in-jon-jones-case[/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

ASOT wrote: »
    Just to add to above, reading into it there a good chance he will do some jail time if they take this as his second offence. Decent article from mma fighting about it.

[url]Https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/3/28/21196542/defense-attorneys-2012-dui-covid-19-could-throw-curveball-in-jon-jones-case[/url]

Would he also be eligible for that US "3 strike" rule that puts you away for a long stretch even if your 3 strikes are relatively minor?

Edit - no. At least one of the offences needs to be a serious violent crime, and in New Mexico I think it actually needs all 3 to be violent offences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭monty_python

So does everyone except khabib/Ferguson fight to go ahead? I seen an article that said khabib is in Russia and they might close the boarders so he can get out of Russia again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Still Ill

So does everyone except khabib/Ferguson fight to go ahead? I seen an article that said khabib is in Russia and they might close the boarders so he can get out of Russia again

I was thinking a while ago that I wouldn't want it to go ahead in an empty venue, but at this stage I'm so bereft of sport that I'm thinking let's get it on, Dana!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,325 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

THe last event was an empty venue and it was fine. Crowd adds very little

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Dana will do everything he can to get this to go ahead.

Crowds add little value, PPV is where its at.

the only major sports event to be held in possibly months, everyone will be tuning in (even alot of none MMA fans) on PPV to get some sort of sport adrenaline.

its marketing genius I think

• Registered Users Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

There isn't a prayer of this going ahead in 19 days time.

It really is jinxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Khabib says UFC are looking for someone else to fight Tony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,832 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

US2 wrote: »
    Khabib says UFC are looking for someone else to fight Tony.

Enter Conor

HAHA I knew he'd get stuck in Russia. Jesus Dana, bite the bullet and postpone til the world is back to normal. This fight is too big to try and throw together in this crazy time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭xtal191

Should've been cancelled weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭monty_python

Khabib is in Russia now and Russia closed the boarders today.
    Surely the fight must be cancelled now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Apparently they've offered Gaethje to fight Tony now.
    What a complete shambles!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

It needs to be scrapped now surely. As much as I want to see some live sport I'd rather wait and see Tony v Khabib.

I'd be surprised if Conor wasn't approached and he turned it down because of his current 'we must all isolate to stay safe' videos. Or maybe Dana is just going with the safety of two US based fighters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Apparently they've offered Gaethje to fight Tony now.
    What a complete shambles!

Shut up and take my money !

• Registered Users Posts: 20,755 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I thought Khabib trained in AKA ? would he not be there this close to a fight,

I know they release info on fighter who get tested but is there any info on where they get tested , Has Khabib ever been tested when in Dagestan or Connor when he is in Ireland for example ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

He supposedly flew out to UAE as there was mention of the fight happening there. He then found out they were closing the borders so flew back to Dagestan, where they also closed the borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,376 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Khabib don't want to fight Tony, it's been evident for a long time now. He got out of it again it'll never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Porthallian

ricero wrote: »
    Shut up and take my money !

It's a fight I'd definitely love to watch. But is it for ANOTHER Interim title? Have to feel for Tony. He's never been the undisputed champ despite all those wins.

• Advertisement

Khabib should be stripped and Tony's next fight should be for the title.

Why?

They are both 2 for 2 for the fight not happening.

The event really should have been cancelled weeks ago anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PyreOfHellfire

eagle eye wrote: »
    Khabib don't want to fight Tony, it's been evident for a long time now. He got out of it again it'll never happen.

I always thought that was absolute BS but judging by the latest press conference he did with Tony it's actually really clear that Khabib is uneasy around him. Almost manic in a way. Usually he's as cold as can be but now with this I'm certain he doesn't actually want to fight Tony. Hope I'm wrong and they eventually fight but judging by the news I doubt it will ever happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Why lol? A pandemic that has turned the world upside down is his fault?!

Masvidal now saying he is availible to throw down with Tony.

Dustin also throwing his name in there.

Dana be mad not to put this on Espn now if he gets a card together .

Would draw incredible ratings and im not sure many would buy a ppv now that khabib is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,376 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Why lol? A pandemic that has turned the world upside down is his fault?!
    Notl, but he went back to Russia only a week ago knowing he would have to self-isolate for seven days. I'm sure he knew that travel was about to be restricted too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭xtal191

eagle eye wrote: »
    Notl, but he went back to Russia only a week ago knowing he would have to self-isolate for seven days. I'm sure he knew that travel was about to be restricted too.

He went back to Russia cause he was told it wouldn't be happening in America and would 99% be in Abu Dhabi

I don't see the big deal anyway, the card was never going to happen and should've been cancelled weeks ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭clsmooth

ricero wrote: »
    Masvidal now saying he is availible to throw down with Tony.

That’d be good. Can’t believe Khabib bottled it again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement