Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

What do people think of Tony/gaethje for the belt?
    Will Dana go for it? Surely he must be pissed with khabib and he could punish him that way

Another Interim belt. You can never have too many of them. Would Tony be the first person to win 2 interim belts? The interim champ champ.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Seriously??

Messing up Dana's 5 attempt of making the khaby/Tony fight
    Im not saying he should be punished, I'm asking will dana look at it that way and strip him
    Yes seriously. The world is in the middle of a pandemic, which is a bit more important than a fight that can be postponed..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭monty_python

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Yes seriously. The world is in the middle of a pandemic, which is a bit more important than a fight that can be postponed..

Dana isn't looking at it that way, hence my question

Dana isn't looking at it that way, hence my question
    I don't think even Dana could blame Khabib for this one.
    Neither him or Tony are to blame, this one is just down to organise a fight in the middle of all the **** that's going on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Its just beyond stupid they didn't cancel it outright a a week ago anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,417 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Beersmith wrote: »
    Its just beyond stupid they didn't cancel it outright a a week ago anyway.

MMA gonna MMA though, innit. So many cretins involved in the de facto administration of the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

MMA gonna MMA though, innit. So many cretins involved in the de facto administration of the sport.

I'll never get over my disbelief that they changed the venue on for UFC 232 after Jones couldn't get licensed after testing hot. I was near screaming it's Christmas, it's six days notice, the fighter's are going to be up in arms!

They did it anyway!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

• Registered Users Posts: 38,379 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

ricero wrote:
    Listen and respect the goat
    You linked the wrong thing. That's not Jon Jones or Amanda Nunes.

eagle eye wrote: »
    You linked the wrong thing. That's not Jon Jones or Amanda Nunes.
    You spelled Lord Artem wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Even if he stayed active after his illness, how do you think hed rank today? Cant see any current heavyweight beating him to be honest?

Could and would have been the best heavy of all time if he stayed at it in my opinion

https://twitter.com/MMAHistoryToday/status/1246563909324222464?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 39,325 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

US2 wrote: »
    Even if he stayed active after his illness, how do you think hed rank today? Cant see any current heavyweight beating him to be honest?
    His striking was terrible and he couldn’t take a punch. Any lost to every striker he faced. He lost to any top striker HW today.

If he went straight to MME instead of WWE he might has learnt to strike, we’ll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Mellor wrote: »
    His striking was terrible and he couldn’t take a punch. Any lost to every striker he faced. He lost to any top striker HW today.

If he went straight to MME instead of WWE he might has learnt to strike, we’ll never know.

Wasn't there talk that when he was working in Team Deathclutch that he wouldn't allow strikes to the face, and you could see when Carwin and later Cain hit him that he just couldn't take a punch? Madness!

He was a great athlete but I don't think he'd have the determination to refine his skills to the level needed to be a dominant champion. Ego got in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Didnt he completely dominate one of the heaviest hitters in his last fight? Dont think Stipe or DC can beat him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PyreOfHellfire

Didnt he completely dominate one of the heaviest hitters in his last fight? Dont think Stipe or DC can beat him

Both would beat him handily.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,325 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Hunt was in his 40’s. And was never described as having any sort of grappling game.

Lesnar matches well with HW who can’t grapple at all, or smaller HW grapplers that have bad striking (like Mir). Nether of those types of fighters will be top tier in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

He lay on top of him and did nothing for the duration of the fight. It was a throw back to the most boring of early 90s wrestlers doing a wet blanket impersonation in early UFC events. Any other fighter would have been stood up repeatedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I thoroughly enjoyed Brock, and was lucky enough to be at 2 of his UFC fights. Both were electric.

If he had gone straight to MMA after high school, and had good coaches, then yes his wrestling ability and brute size could have made him one of the best.

But the Brock that we got, late in the game, was fortunate to arrive at a time when the division was shallow and old. The era of Cain, JDS, Overeem etc arrived and Brock's limitations were suddenly very apparent.

I still enjoyed him though!

They would both demolish him. MMA is light years past what it was when was the top dog.

He was also juiced to the gills his entire career don't forget.

An incredible natural athlete though.

Also, we now know why Dana is so keen to be reckless with the health of Khabib, Tony and many others involved in the production of a UFC event. He's the victim of a sex tape extortion case!

https://www.reviewjournal.com/investigations/ufcs-dana-white-named-as-extortion-victim-in-sex-tape-case-1999477/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,833 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Also, we now know why Dana is so keen to be reckless with the health of Khabib, Tony and many others involved in the production of a UFC event. He's the victim of a sex tape extortion case!

https://www.reviewjournal.com/investigations/ufcs-dana-white-named-as-extortion-victim-in-sex-tape-case-1999477/

Who the **** would want to watch that. Ah, the better question, who was it with?

I guess it was so his wife wouldn't find out. Then again, there's an absolute army of fanboys out there who would probably love to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

You lads are acting like it's the first time we saw Dana **** someone over.

Could and would have been the best heavy of all time if he stayed at it in my opinion

https://twitter.com/MMAHistoryToday/status/1246563909324222464?s=19

Several of today's heavyweights would murder him

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mrm

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Several of today's heavyweights would murder him

Of course several would murder him, totally unfair fightðŸ˜. Knocking Heath Herring across the octagon looked impressive but he was not top tier ready, especially when that consisted of Cain and JDS. Still gotta admire him as there were so many easier ways available to him to make money or spend your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

mmm not sure if serious :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Lesnar was a freak. But he's the epitome of the bully fighter. He didn't deal well with pressure or being hit.

Cain, JDS, DC, Stipe etc all have him for breakfast.

Also, massive question marks around PED's.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,379 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

weemcd wrote:
    Also, massive question marks around PED's.
    This applies to nearly every elite professional athlete.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

eagle eye wrote: »
    This applies to nearly every elite professional athlete.

True. Very true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

UFC running 25 Greatest Fights of All Time on the FightPass24/7 section, makes for good watching especially the odd one or two I haven't seen and in the absence of new events.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement