Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

I see it is set for PPV in the states anyone know if it will be free on bt sports here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    I see it is set for PPV in the states anyone know if it will be free on bt sports here?

Yea I reckon it will be free. The usually only do two to three ppv a year on BT sports. Cant see them doing it for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭RoryMac

weemcd wrote: »
    Are they doing any drug testing?

They should start with Dana

• Registered Users Posts: 38,381 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

ricero wrote:
    If Dana can pull this off and actually has an island then he will go down as the goat promoter.
    Not, he goes down as the greediest sociopath of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

eagle eye wrote: »
    Not, he goes down as the greediest sociopath of all time.

Dont get this attitude at all. If the man can safely put on a sporting event to entertain the masses during these bleak times then Il take my hat off to him and say fair play.

I think at times Dana gets far too much criticism. He's a buisiness man but also loves a challenge. Hopefully he pulls this off and we all have a great night of entertainment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

You just know Tony will lose and we will never get him v Khabib ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Still Ill

ricero wrote: »
    Dont get this attitude at all. If the man can safely put on a sporting event to entertain the masses during these bleak times then Il take my hat off to him and say fair play.

I think at times Dana gets far too much criticism. He's a buisiness man but also loves a challenge. Hopefully he pulls this off and we all have a great night of entertainment.

I was pretty sceptical initially due to concerns over safety of those involved, but if it can be done safely, I'm all for it. If they can do those 15 minute tests on everyone to ensure no-one is testing positive entering the place, there shouldn't be any chance of spreading the virus. But another concern I'd have is what happens if a fighter has to go to hospital. Are they entering an already overwhelmed hospital with completely avoidable injuries?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

With lockdown fever kicking in I don't know if I'm awake or dreaming.

ricero wrote:
    Dont get this attitude at all.
    You don't get criticism of a man who is willing to risk people's health and lives to make money he doesn't need?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭clsmooth

ricero wrote: »

So how does he guarantee the safety (which means 100% no risk) of the event? Sure even Khabib wouldn’t go near it. Either Dana is full of sh1te or Khabib bottled it. Which is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Looptheloop30

You don't get criticism of a man who is willing to risk people's health and lives to make money he doesn't need?

Do the fighters not do this at the best of times themselves....?

Do the fighters not do this at the best of times themselves....?
    We are not discussing individual fighters here. We are talking about a very large company who should be a leading example to their fans and the public of how to act in these difficult times.
    They are telling their public to say '**** the rules, we'll do what we want'.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,326 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

clsmooth wrote: »
    So how does he guarantee the safety (which means 100% no risk) of the event? Sure even Khabib wouldn’t go near it. Either Dana is full of sh1te or Khabib bottled it. Which is it?
    Limit number of people in attendance, officials, cornermen, crew, etc.
    Test everyone involved. If all tests are clear, then it can't be spread.

Without testing, you'd be looking at reducing interpersonal contact, which reduces risk, but not to zero.

Mellor wrote:
    Limit number of people in attendance, officials, cornermen, crew, etc. Test everyone involved. If all tests are clear, then it can't be spread.
    You'd have to lock them down between their test, not after results of test, and fight night to ensure its safe. How are you going to manage that?

You'd have to lock them down between their test, not after results of test, and fight night to ensure its safe. How are you going to manage that?
    By testing people as soon as they arrive. If they don’t pass, they don’t get in. If everyone in the resort has passed. Then there’s no risk of transmission within the resort.

They are definitely logistical obstacles. But isolating isn’t one of them.

They can test someone and have the result in 15 minutes, I believe. I think that's what they do with everyone who stands up at the podium with Trump before he does his press conferences.

Mellor wrote:
    By testing people as soon as they arrive. If they don’t pass, they don’t get in. If everyone in the resort has passed. Then there’s no risk of transmission within the resort.
    Have you found some way to get tests done quickly?
    You know how long it takes to get a result of a test?

Have you found some way to get tests done quickly?
    You know how long it takes to get a result of a test?
    Latest tests take 15 minutes.

The reason it takes longer for people to get tested via HSE/NHS is because the demand and backlog exceeds testing capacity.

Mellor wrote:
    Latest tests take 15 minutes.
    You are telling me that results are available in 15 minutes? You are telling me they don't have to go to a lab?

You are telling me that results are available in 15 minutes? You are telling me they don't have to go to a lab?
    Yes.
    A rapid test was develop by an Irish company. Was announced weeks ago. Surprised you haven’t heard about it.

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/irish-developed-kit-confirms-infection-in-15-minutes-39046582.html

Testing facilities in America are using it (or similar) to operate drive through 15minute testing.
    Positive results take only 5 minutes to return.

https://www.boston25news.com/news/health/rapid-coronavirus-testing-site-lowell-will-deliver-results-within-15-minutes/PLRRYNI6RNCPNDE6XMINDZ2LQ4/
    Up to 1,000 people can get tested daily at the site, the Lowell Sun reports, which has been set up in the parking lot of the Showcase Cinemas at 32 Reiss Ave. Results are delivered within 15 minutes and there is no cost to patients

...Positive results come back within five minutes and negative tests under 15 minutes.

• Advertisement

No I hadn't heard about it.

Either way the UFC are sending out a terrible message to the public by putting on events.

I know we all love the sport but they should be a lot more responsible than just be all about grabbing money.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I have no issue with any business making an effort to keep the funds rolling. Whether they're a corner shop or a multi million dollar business.

If they're able to do it safely, and I'm sure they can, then go for it. I'm sure that even Dr Fauci would be happy for it to proceed given that they're going to essentially create one giant sterile environment.

That is simply not feasible for most businesses but in this case it is, so have at it.

I'm sure the Premier League would do the same if they could, but the logistics are vastly more difficult for them than for the UFC with just a few dozen fighters, crew and production people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

The reason they are keeping all the information on a need to know basis is for fear of being stopped because of the backlash from people.

They'll have 22 fighters, all with a few coaches with them, add in production people, judges, whatever 'commission' will over see it. And then the medical staff that will be required at the event and the ones that will be occupied by whatever fighters end up in the hospital needing medical attention.

They can get fighters to fight because

1. they need the money
    2. if they turn down a fight their contract gets extended six months
    3. the UFC are vindictive *****

I'm going to guess this does poor PPV numbers too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Sean Sheehan just tweeted that UFC249 will not be box office in the UK and Ireland

It will be on BT sport so thats good news

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Sean Sheehan just tweeted that UFC249 will not be box office in the UK and Ireland

It will be on BT sport so thats good news

I’d say a huge amount of customers have cancelled their sports packages so I think for once putting it on PPV would be the right call by them. Myself, for example, I’m not going to sign back up yet because there’s almost zero live sports on the channels, but I would pay a one-off fee to watch a good MMA card.

It’ll be a pity if it’s only on BT Sport, obviously handy for those that still have it of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

martyos121 wrote: »
    I’d say a huge amount of customers have cancelled their sports packages so I think for once putting it on PPV would be the right call by them. Myself, for example, I’m not going to sign back up yet because there’s almost zero live sports on the channels, but I would pay a one-off fee to watch a good MMA card.

It’ll be a pity if it’s only on BT Sport, obviously handy for those that still have it of course.

Yeah, +1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Haven't both Sky and BT Sports given a pause option for subscriptions?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

I think this ppv will do great numbers with nothing else on.

I know I'm climbing the walls waiting for this and even the casual fan will buy that ppv in the us now.

Really hope Tony gets the win. Would be sick for him to lose his (real) title shot like this. Hope they're both getting a good pay day too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

mailburner wrote: »
    I think this ppv will do great numbers with nothing else on.

I know I'm climbing the walls waiting for this and even the casual fan will buy that ppv in the us now.

- Over 10 million people have filed for unemployment in the US in March and there will be more this week and next.
    - Millions more are fearful of losing their jobs in the near future.
    - People can't gather in groups to split the cost. (What the UFC have previously stated as a core group who buy their PPV's)
    - There's a star studded telethon free to air on the same date.

I just don't see a lot of people spending $65 on the UFC when one of largest recessions is just starting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement