Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Whelo79 wrote: »
    When you take into account staff and customers, there's probably more people in my local Tesco now than there will be at this event.

'IF' all the attendees are being tested in advance to ensure they are symptom free, and providing there is the necessary medical care on site, I personally don't see the issue with the event going ahead.

Logistics alone will require hundreds of people. It's not just the night of the fight. It's total idiocy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Vince McMahon just held the biggest wrestling card of the year, 2 nights jam packed. Why is Dana getting so much criticism but not Vince I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

US2 wrote: »
    Vince McMahon just held the biggest wrestling card of the year, 2 nights jam packed. Why is Dana getting so much criticism but not Vince I wonder

Because it's an MMA thread, not a WWE one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Isn't WWE like a travelling circus, so they are always together the whole time?! Different for MMA

Because it's an MMA thread, not a WWE one.

Not talking about this thread ya clown

• Advertisement

Beersmith wrote: »
    Isn't WWE like a travelling circus, so they are always together the whole time?! Different for MMA

They do travel together but makes no difference. A big event still held in the performance centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,785 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

They do travel together but makes no difference. A big event still held in the performance centre.

It is different. They don't need judges, as many doctors, medical on standby, commission people, USADA etc.

WWE is a TV show.

Not talking about this thread ya clown

a) there was plenty of criticism. I suspect you're just choosing to ignore it or not bother looking for it.

b) Vince had the wiggle room that it was filmed on March 25th and 26th, before Florida went into lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I agree re taking doctors out of an already low supply chain but I would guess the doctors the UFC are using will be private medical practicioners and are probably not working in local hospitals currently, it is 'Murica after all. There are plenty of selfish characters who will not be working for free.

Re the logistics, there are already hundreds of airplanes still travelling within US airspace. Just check here: https://www.flightradar24.com/45.55,-86.68/3

Is it essential this goes ahead, absolutely not. Would I like to see it go ahead safely, absolutely yes.

Two of Rose's family members have died from Covid 19.

So if the "she's emotionally weak" ****e could stop now, that would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,834 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Ah balls. Disney/ESPN seem to have pulled the plug. Plenty of political pressure was being applied once the venue leaked it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Is anyone surprised?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I was looking forward to inevitably seeing them try convince Jessica Andrade to fight Justin Gaethje as the card descended into even more farcical events.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

It was all kinds of disgusting that they tried to go ahead with it.

Went against all moral and ethical standpoints - and I’m saying that as a massive Dana White fan (as a promoter)

I’m actually kinda annoyed in a way because there were numerous opportunities in regards to my work with this going ahead. Media companies/fantasy sports companies were clambering at the bit for a bit of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

callaway92 wrote: »
    It was all kinds of disgusting that they tried to go ahead with it.

Went against all moral and ethical standpoints - and I’m saying that as a massive Dana White fan (as a promoter)

I’m actually kinda annoyed in a way because there were numerous opportunities in regards to my work with this going ahead. Media companies/fantasy sports companies were clambering at the bit for a bit of action.

We are similar, promotion material was done up etc. Even though I tried to warn them :pac:

ASOT wrote: »
    We are similar, promotion material was done up etc. Even though I tried to warn them :pac:

Ya it’s sickening the way it was still glaringly clear this was NOT going to go ahead. At least they didn’t leave it until the 12th hour.

Would really like them to have just committed to an ‘All Events before May 30 are postponed/cancelled’ type thing like the majority of legit sporting organisations/leagues.

‘The show will go on’ does not have a place in the current climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Still Ill

He's on Instagram live saying Fight Island is still happening. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

**** it anyway. Was really looking forward to this.

Still Ill wrote: »
    He's on Instagram live saying Fight Island is still happening. :pac:

Haha just saw it there.

He came across quite well in the video

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

On the plus side there should be no reason to not book Khabib vs Ferguson now and Gaethje vs Mcgregor when things get back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Amazing vince mcmahon can pull off weekly shows and wrestlemania during all this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

ASOT wrote: »
    Is anyone surprised?

Idiotic notion that would have resembled nothing but farce

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Idiotic notion that would have resembled nothing but farce

And yet there were umpteen lads here arguing that it would all be grand and the was no reason to stop happening. Nothing but selfishness driving that line of thinking.

dave1982 wrote: »
    Amazing vince mcmahon can pull off weekly shows and wrestlemania during all this

Because he's a sociopathic moron, and it's not a sport.

All scheduled events indefinitely suspended too, thank christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,326 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ricero wrote: »
    **** it anyway. Was really looking forward to this.
    Yeah. As much as I knew it wasn’t the right decision. If it was going ahead, I tuning in and getting hyped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PyreOfHellfire

When I heard Disney were the ones who pulled the plug I couldn't get that episode of South Park out of my head with Mickey Mouse beating the sh*t out of the Jonas Brothers for not doing what he said.

"Ho ho whadya mean you're going ahead with events right now Dana ho ho. I told you to ho ho, not risk everyones safety or we lose money ho ho."

Contractually there is a huge difference between UFC cancelling the card, and UFC being instructed by Disney/ESPN to cancel. This was a standoff and the UFC won. They had no desire to hold the card. They need to put on 42 events to get paid £605m and if Disney pulled the plug it will have some bearing on this clause. UFC can say they were willing and able to do the card, ready to go.

Same thing happened in the opening Formula 1 race - none of the parties involved wanted to be the one to pull the trigger on cancellation for fear of being responsible for cancellation fees, non-performance penalties etc.

• Advertisement

dave1982 wrote: »

Main reason for that is that it's in-house in their own facility. WWE take care of their own production etc, so their broadcasters don't need to oversee production.

Fox, NBC are just syndicating the shows and that's about it.

NBC/Fox's decision is whether it's against their moral to air the shows.

Couple of extra tidbits - Wrestlemania was on their own platform - Any TV companies that syndicated it weren't contracted to, because it was PPV.

If Fox/NBC pull the plug on things, they'll owe WWE a huge amount of money, because WWE are still doing their job.

WWE's show NXT has been pre-taped weeks in advance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement