Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

Contractually there is a huge difference between UFC cancelling the card, and UFC being instructed by Disney/ESPN to cancel. This was a standoff and the UFC won. They had no desire to hold the card. They need to put on 42 events to get paid £605m and if Disney pulled the plug it will have some bearing on this clause. UFC can say they were willing and able to do the card, ready to go.

Same thing happened in the opening Formula 1 race - none of the parties involved wanted to be the one to pull the trigger on cancellation for fear of being responsible for cancellation fees, non-performance penalties etc.

Was wondering that.... it felt like gigantic game of chicken, first to duck loses.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,385 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Contractually there is a huge difference between UFC cancelling the card, and UFC being instructed by Disney/ESPN to cancel. This was a standoff and the UFC won. They had no desire to hold the card. They need to put on 42 events to get paid £605m and if Disney pulled the plug it will have some bearing on this clause. UFC can say they were willing and able to do the card, ready to go.
    Have you a link to where this is proven or are you just surmising?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,326 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

eagle eye wrote: »
    Have you a link to where this is proven or are you just surmising?
    Which part needs proof?

Mellor wrote:
    The UFC and ESPN have a contract, and agreed commitments. They can’t meet them.
    But you don't not know what's in the that contract. There could be a public sentiment section, there could be a section on times of emergency.

But you don't not know what's in the that contract. There could be a public sentiment section, there could be a section on times of emergency.
    There might be, but they’d both only benefit the UFC if they cancelled. And there’s a certain amount of subjectivity around each. So they’d need to make a case, to ESPN. I think they have been successful. But with ESPN making the call, it removes all that.

FWIW, I think the UFC were fully intending on proceeding.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote:
    There might be, but they’d both only benefit the UFC if they cancelled. And there’s a certain amount of subjectivity around each. So they’d need to make a case, to ESPN. I think they have been successful. But with ESPN making the call, it removes all that.
    FWIW, I think the UFC were fully intending on proceeding.
    This is all guesswork, you and me don't have a clue.
    I'd imagine that almost all companies have come to an agreement to share the losses over this pandemic. I might be wrong but I'd imagne all their legal departments will have recommended this approach because it's the likely outcome of any future court cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Not only do boardsies know the fine detail in fighter contracts but also contracts between Disney/ESPN and UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,835 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

This is all guesswork, you and me don't have a clue.
    I'd imagine that almost all companies have come to an agreement to share the losses over this pandemic. I might be wrong but I'd imagne all their legal departments will have recommended this approach because it's the likely outcome of any future court cases.
    I still think your misunderstanding.

They have a contract for 42 cards this year. ESPN have stopped UFC from fulfilling the contract. So UFC have a strong position when it comes to negotiating. I don't need to see the contract to have that opinion.
    Obviously they won't get the full payout unless they fulfil it.

Mellor wrote:
    They have a contract for 42 cards this year. ESPN have stopped UFC from fulfilling the contract. So UFC have a strong position when it comes to negotiating. I don't need to see the contract to have that opinion. Obviously they won't get the full payout unless they fulfil it.
    The wording Dana White used was that the powers that be asked him to stand down and not do this event.

• Advertisement

The wording Dana White used was that the powers that be asked him to stand down and not do this event.
    In not sure how that’s relevant to what I said?

The “powers” are ESPN/Disney.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Some strong words from Sean Sheehan on today's Severe MMA pod for anyone who was advocating that the card went ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Some strong words from Sean Sheehan on today's Severe MMA pod for anyone who was advocating that the card went ahead.

he went in on it alright, the gloves have finally come off sheehan

Link for the lazy (me)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

SDTimeout wrote: »
    he went in on it alright, the gloves have finally come off sheehan

He's been pretty strong on it the last few weeks. He's not wrong either.
    Mellor wrote: »
    Link for the lazy (me)

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5zb3VuZGNsb3VkLmNvbS91c2Vycy9zb3VuZGNsb3VkOnVzZXJzOjE1MDgwNDMxMi9zb3VuZHMucnNz&episode=dGFnOnNvdW5kY2xvdWQsMjAxMDp0cmFja3MvNzk2MTQ2NTk1

Most of the pod is taken up with chat about the state of things, Mellor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I see Florida has deemed pro sports an essential service, possibly opening the door for the UFC, providing Disney don't put the foot down again.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I see Florida has deemed pro sports an essential service, possibly opening the door for the UFC, providing Disney don't put the foot down again.

Jimmy Smith and his sidekick do a good quick-ish summary of this (15 mins)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv4qroSPBVQ
    They explain the link from Vince WWE McMahon to his wife Linda (Rep) Admin of US SBA and chairwoman of Trump super PAC upwards and speculate on Dana using this path to shows in May.
    More interesting than I made it sound! :pac:

Oh and GSP live with Ariel now, just in case... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbvhdQWLCMQ

Edit to add: so nice to see him so relaxed and happy. Really a different man. Huge fan (not the most stylish fighter) but as a martial artist he's really a phenomenal example.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Trump is currently speaking about the need to reopen sporting seasons. Name dropped Dana and the UFC in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Trump is currently speaking about the need to reopen sporting seasons. Name dropped Dana and the UFC in the process.

Wonder how much Dana paid him to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Esse85 wrote: »

He listed off the NBA, NFL, MLB, UFC, MLS and a few other sports & organisations and all of their owners or presidents.

WWE and Vince got a mention too.

Esse85 wrote: »

Unbelievable. Links straight back to the Florida/WWE superpac that Mrs McMahon runs: he had a 2% margin there in 2016. With 29 electoral college votes it's no 4 after California and Texas (tied with New York). He needs it in 2020..

I'm missing live US sports as much as the rest if not more, but that's outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

9th of may dana says next card will be

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

US2 wrote: »
    9th of may dana says next card will be

Wonder how they will pull this one off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

****ing hell what a fight card.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Werdum's first fight back since his ban, I thought he'd left the organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Porthallian

The full proposed lineup for the May 9 UFC event is as follows:

Tony Ferguson vs. Justin Gaethje
    Henry Cejudo vs. Dominick Cruz
    Amanda Nunes vs. Felicia Spencer
    Francis Ngannou vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik
    Jeremy Stephens vs. Calvin Kattar
    Donald Cerrone vs. Anthony Pettis
    Greg Hardy vs. Yorgan De Castro
    Alexey Oleynik vs. Fabricio Werdum
    Carla Esparza vs. Michelle Waterson
    Ronaldo Souza vs. Uriah Hall
    Vicente Luque vs. Niko Price
    Charles Rosa vs. Bryce Mitchell

That would be fantastic!!
    Won't hold my breath though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Do we know where the venue might be? Indian reservation? Florida? Fight Island?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭Homelander

That card is unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Homelander wrote: »
    That card is unbelievable.

it's to keep with the theme of the fact it won't happen :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement