Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,785 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Do we know where the venue might be? Indian reservation? Florida? Fight Island?

Danas mind

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Inside Dana's head and the wet dreams of idiots.

EDIT: I see the Nal beat me to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Esse85 wrote: »
    Wonder how much Dana paid him to do that.

Nothing I would imagine as they are quite good friends since long before trump was president
    The full proposed lineup for the May 9 UFC event is as follows:

Tony Ferguson vs. Justin Gaethje
    Henry Cejudo vs. Dominick Cruz
    Amanda Nunes vs. Felicia Spencer
    Francis Ngannou vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik
    Jeremy Stephens vs. Calvin Kattar
    Donald Cerrone vs. Anthony Pettis
    Greg Hardy vs. Yorgan De Castro
    Alexey Oleynik vs. Fabricio Werdum
    Carla Esparza vs. Michelle Waterson
    Ronaldo Souza vs. Uriah Hall
    Vicente Luque vs. Niko Price
    Charles Rosa vs. Bryce Mitchell

That would be fantastic!!
    Won't hold my breath though...

Holy Sh1t if that goes ahead that would be epic... unfortunately i wont hold my breath

I seen on twitter that the suggested place is the UFC apex

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭xtal191

So what date do we reckon the May 9th card will be cancelled?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I would say there is a chance that they could host events in Florida if Nevada isn't a runner. WWE and UFC working together in Florida under Donalds blessing might be on the cards for May.

I've been thinking about this a little bit more over the last couple of days, assuming that the staff etc working are the event are safe, tested and offered securities due to illnesses from working on the project. Let fighters compete in empty arenas. The majority of UFC level athletes are not jumping in classes with everybody at them. Only those putting themselves forward will have it already sussed their training is viable or they will have a facility open.

Assuming they adhere to requirements afterwards and dont be carrying on as normal I don't see an issue. Them WILLINGLY doing this, then going back into people as risk is stupid.

I think the real reason all of this is being done to such lengths is to make sure the contract for TV money is fulfilled, nothing more. the narrative of "doing this for these guys to fight, we need sports back" PR talk, saving face. It's about millions and millions and millions of dollars.

I thought this weeks Eurobash podcast was had a brilliant suggestion that european based UFC fighters compete through cage warriors if there's going to be travel restrictions over the next while. The APEX cards are likely to be US based only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

They can definitely do the card in Florida. They could have legally done 249 in California on the reservation, but the the pressure from the governor forced Disney/ESPN's hand.

They won't have the same pressure from the governor this time, but if they let the show happen it will completely confirm that they only canceled 249 because they were "forced", not because of their own safety concerns.

I'd give the card a 30% chance of happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Id like to know will Tony fight Khabbib when UFC events return to normal later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,388 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Gamb!t wrote:
    Id like to know will Tony fight Khabbib when UFC events return to normal later in the year.
    Tony will want to, Khabib will do his best to avoid it again. This time around he tried to get Mayweather, then GSP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Theres a strong possibility Justin ends any tony/khabib talk for the foreseeable.

ASOT wrote:
    Theres a strong possibility Justin ends any tony/khabib talk for the foreseeable.
    Justin is way overrated by many. He's been ko'd by the two best he fought, Tony is the best he'll ever have fought when it happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

eagle eye wrote: »
    Justin is way overrated by many. He's been ko'd by the two best he fought, Tony is the best he'll ever have fought when it happens.

I was saying that about him before/after most of his fights but I'm not so sure now.
    He has looked great in his last three but in fairness you would expect him to knock out the likes of vick and cerrone yet finishing barbosa in one was a good effort even if plenty have finished barbosa
    I have to say despite all that poirier and alvarez are much better fighters
    than those three.
    He is fighting a lot smarter or at least that's how it looks and he's well capable of finishing Tony but he needs to do it 2 rounds or the pressure Tony will bring after that will be too much.

So either I'm getting carried away with those performances which may or may not make Justin look better than he actually is or has Justin improved since poirier and alvarez? He may be fighting a bit smarter is all.

It's easy to get carried away with his last three performances in fairness.
    I do think if he approaches this with reckless abandon that he has a very good chance of finishing Tony...might be his only chance but I'm all but convinced it's round one or two for Justin or curtains.

I find it a very hard fight to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

He changed camps a while back didn't he? Doesn't lead with his face as much anymore and actually comes with some sort of plan now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Justin was definitely 3 rounds up against Dustin. Dustin could barely walk, but caught him. Even someone without Justin's wrestling pedigree would have clinched, Justin started swinging.

Eddie is a difficult one. Some fight he looks great (when was the last time RDA was finished by someone else), others he looks very average. It's hard to read too much in to that fight. And it was a war.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Khabib will do his best to avoid it again.

This is one of the worst hot takes ever.

This is one of the worst hot takes ever.
    Are you denying he did all he could to avoid it last time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Are you denying he did all he could to avoid it last time?

Oh jesus not this again!

I'm responding to somebody who took a short few words out of one of my posts.
    Yes I'm talking about his attempts to get Mayweather and GSP rather than face Tony.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

xtal191 wrote: »
    So what date do we reckon the May 9th card will be cancelled?

Need to open a book on this since there'll be no point betting on the event itself.

7th May I'm going for in the sweepstakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Still Ill

I'm responding to somebody who took a short few words out of one of my posts.
    Yes I'm talking about his attempts to get Mayweather and GSP rather than face Tony.

I don't think there's any chance he's gonna ever fight Mayweather. It doesn't even make sense that he would.
    The only thing I heard him say is he'd do it if there was one round of MMA, which isn't a realistic proposition.
    Not a Khabib fan, but the guy is unbeaten. He's not afraid of anyone.

In your opinion. And it's not fear, it's fear of losing his unbeaten record. He does not want to fight Tony.
    Just watch how much he'll try and avoid it once things get back to normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Yup Khabib will use any old excuse, like a global pandemic, to get out of fighting...

JJayoo wrote:
    Yup Khabib will use any old excuse, like a global pandemic, to get out of fighting... ... .. .
    Or trying to have a boxing and MMA fight with Mayweather or get a man out of retirement to fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Or trying to have a boxing and MMA fight with Mayweather or get a man out of retirement to fight.

Do you also think 5G is killing people and that space is fake?

#WhereDoYouGetYourNewsBro

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

So Ferguson cut to 155 this morning for...the craic?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

So Ferguson cut to 155 this morning for...the craic?
    Because Tony.

Probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Savecoronabeer

Seriously though who wouldnt fight Mayweather at this stage it's a guaranteed lottery like payday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Interesting breakdown of the insanity of War Machine.

Can someone embed please

https://youtu.be/j3PLLOreTLY

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭xtal191

JJayoo wrote: »
    Interesting breakdown of the insanity of War Machine.

Can someone embed please

https://youtu.be/j3PLLOreTLY

• Registered Users Posts: 39,326 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

People said the same thing about Conor why he was chasing the Mayweather. Sheer nonsense.
    There’s a lot you could can say about Conor v Khabib. But the idea that he was afraid of him is laughable.

Same goes for Khabib v Tony. Or Tony v anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

The first fighter drops out of this planned May card. Amanda Nunes says the time is not right for her, thinks they should wait a bit longer due to corona virus and she wants a full camp.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement