Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,388 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mellor wrote:
    People said the same thing about Conor why he was chasing the Mayweather. Sheer nonsense. There’s a lot you could can say about Conor v Khabib. But the idea that he was afraid of him is laughable.
    I never mentioned McGregor.
    Mayweather vs McGergor was always on, completely different thing. There was a huge market for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Whelo79 wrote: »
    The first fighter drops out of this planned May card. Amanda Nunes says the time is not right for her, thinks they should wait a bit longer due to corona virus and she wants a full camp.

She can't drop out if she never signed a contract. She just refused an offer to fight short notice during a pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,388 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It'll be interesting to see if others follow her lead. She's a huge name so it's an easy lead to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Is she in Brazil at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,326 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

eagle eye wrote: »
    I never mentioned McGregor.
    Mayweather vs McGergor was always on, completely different thing. There was a huge market for that.

I never said you mentioned McGregor.

I'm saying the criticism of McGregor was nonsense.
    Just like criticism Khabib for the same is also nonsense.

Now, Khabib's chances of getting the fight are clearly not the same as Conor's. But Ali pushing for in on Twitter has no impact on Khabibs next fight. Using it to "prove" he is ducking Tony is silly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Don't do it to yourself lads, the card won't go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

She can't drop out if she never signed a contract. She just refused an offer to fight short notice during a pandemic.

Was she announced as co-main event on the card? Drop out, refuse to fight. Call it what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Was she announced as co-main event on the card? Drop out, refuse to fight. Call it what you will.

The card was never officially announced.

The card was never officially announced.

Jesus, someone is in a bit of a strop this morning.

She was asked to fight on the card as co main event, defending her featherweight belt and has refused. Potential fight on proposed card has fallen through. The first of many no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Can't wait for all the Nunes is ducking *checks* Felicia Spencer takes.

• Advertisement

Can't wait for all the Nunes is ducking *checks* Felicia Spencer takes.

How dare she potentially ruin my chances of watching some live fights for the sake of her own health and not risking a 5 year unbeaten run due to a short notice camp. I want fights and I want them NOW (or May 9th).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭robwen

derfderf wrote: »
    Is she in Brazil at the moment?

Florida

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

How dare she potentially ruin my chances of watching some live fights for the sake of her own health and not risking a 5 year unbeaten run due to a short notice camp. I want fights and I want them NOW (or May 9th).

Piss taking aside, was that not basically your actual (as opposed to joke) argument a month ago?

Piss taking aside, was that not basically your actual (as opposed to joke) argument a month ago?

I never suggested anyone should be forced to fight against their will. If all parties are happy to proceed and all relevant safety measures are in place, well then in the words of Bruce Buffer "IT'S TIIIMMMMMMMEEEEE!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Fight Island. I just heard of this. What are peoples thoughts on this? At first it seemed to me to be a homage to that famous Bruce Lee film. Fairly uninspiring in itself. When you factor in Coronavirus it starts to make sence. Whole teams can travel to it with no worries of contamitation whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭Inviere

Smiles35 wrote: »
    Whole teams can travel to it with no worries of contamitation whatsoever.

:confused:

It's a bit of a stretch to conclude there's no risk, no? The amount of training, sparring, meeting of people like nutritionists, drug testing, medicals,, etc...& that's even before the bell rings on fight night. There's huge potential for cross infection, no matter if the fight is in the middle of Vegas, or a private island.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Inviere wrote: »
    :confused:

It's a bit of a stretch to conclude there's no risk, no? The amount of training, sparring, meeting of people like nutritionists, drug testing, medicals,, etc...& that's even before the bell rings on fight night. There's huge potential for cross infection, no matter if the fight is in the middle of Vegas, or a private island.

i suppose. You could'nt cut down the amount of visiting professinals by much as their fields are so varied.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,835 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Apparently there are going to be 3 UFC cards in the same venue in the space of a week.

Ferguson will surely regret having needlessly made weight last week? It can't be good for him, or easy, making that cut twice in such a short space if time?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,835 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Apparently there are going to be 3 UFC cards in the same venue in the space of a week.

Ferguson will surely regret having needlessly made weight last week? It can't be good for him, or easy, making that cut twice in such a short space if time?

He better make weight/not get injured, i NEED to see this fight.

• Advertisement

Dana has confirmed cards are scheduled for the 9th, 13th and 16th. That could be a fun week!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I think Tony is gonna get his legs chopped

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Not really MMA news but just saw Cain Velasquez was released from WWE.

Supposedly Vince McMahon is supposed to have called him a "False bag of goods" after his first Smackdown appearance

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Not really MMA news but just saw Cain Velasquez was released from WWE.

Supposedly Vince McMahon is supposed to have called him a "False bag of goods" after his first Smackdown appearance

I seen that somewhere, just caught a glimpse and he was in absolute awful shape worse than iv ever seen him ,

Which is hard to pass off in Pro wrestling, He was also much smaller than a lot of the wrestlers so it just looked awful

Not a wrestling fan or didn't see an actually fight just seen him standing with some of them and in that business is all about the look ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

May 13th and 16th cards announced.

https://www.ufc.com/news/may-13th-may-16th-fight-cards-announced

America is in a really weird situation at the minute with all that's going on. It's like a melting pot and sections of the country could explode at any time. I still might not count on these cards going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

May 13th and 16th cards announced.

https://www.ufc.com/news/may-13th-may-16th-fight-cards-announced

America is in a really weird situation at the minute with all that's going on. It's like a melting pot and sections of the country could explode at any time. I still might not count on these cards going ahead.

They are free to view cards if i ever seen one.
    Nothing to stay up late to watch, hell i would not even torrent the next day, just check out the results on the net

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

For the more tactically astute amongst you, how do you see Ferguson/Gaethe going? I feel that Gaethje, contrary to his record, has all the skills to beat Ferguson, which seems to be that you need to separate him from consciousness. Justin has heavy hands, great pressure, and wicked leg kicks. He has the wrestling in the back pocket, but rarely uses it. It will at least be enough to stop potential sub attempts from Tony, like if he tries to drop for a D'arce choke, Justin should be able to scramble back to his feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,326 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It will at least be enough to stop potential sub attempts from Tony, like if he tries to drop for a D'arce choke, Justin should be able to scramble back to his feet.

Tony hits the standing/snapdown darce a bit. But they’d be a more common sub on the ground. Tony could cinch one in a mat scramble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

What time is the Tony Ferguson fight due to start does anybody know?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement