Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭robwen

Looks like it's happening subject to them both passing covid tests

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Damn exciting stuff, probably won't be long to these results come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I can't see it being a good night for street Jesus. Usman's cardio is unreal and Masvidal can't be near 5 round fight fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,327 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

vNh9dCn.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Whelo79 wrote: »
    I can't see it being a good night for street Jesus. Usman's cardio is unreal and Masvidal can't be near 5 round fight fit.

Couldn't agree more.

Masvidal has to fly from miami to Vegas to yas Island. That's alot of travel on 6 days notice add to that he has not been training and needs to make weight. All of this before he even gets into the cage with a savage like Usman. I am going to go out on a limb here and say Usman wins by tko or submission

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

in totally unrelated news:

https://www.ufc.com/news/john-gunther-was-one-of-a-kind

Crazy story he was so out there on season 28 of tuf

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more.

Masvidal has to fly from miami to Vegas to yas Island. That's alot of travel on 6 days notice add to that he has not been training and needs to make weight. All of this before he even gets into the cage with a savage like Usman. I am going to go out on a limb here and say Usman wins by tko or submission

Usman didn't fly to UAE. So no need for Masvidal to fly now either.
    They can fight in Vegas at the Apex.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Mellor wrote: »

But the card is in Abu Dhabi?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Both flew to Vegas today. They are flying tomorrow to Abu Dhabi assuming they both test negative.

Still Ill wrote: »
    But the card is in Abu Dhabi?
    It’s an empty arena. They don’t need to be there.
    Axwell wrote: »
    Both flew to Vegas today. They are flying tomorrow to Abu Dhabi assuming they both test negative.
    They may still fly out. I’m just highlighting an option that they also had if time/travel was factor.
    Masvidal passed his covid text yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

It’s an empty arena. They don’t need to be there.

They may still fly out. I’m just highlighting an option that they also had if time/travel was factor.
    Masvidal passed his covid text yesterday.

Its not really a realistic option though or one UFC would likely go for considering everyone else would be in Abu Dhabi..judges, cut men, commentators etc. Logistically it would be a nightmare.

When Masvidal passed his test they announced the fight on social channels according to Ariel and he flies by private jet today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Axwell wrote: »
    Its not really a realistic option though or one UFC would likely go for considering everyone else would be in Abu Dhabi..judges, cut men, commentators etc. Logistically it would be a nightmare.

When Masvidal passed his test they announced the fight on social channels according to Ariel and he flies by private jet today.

What a sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Usman wins with ease,
    Masvidal will be shown up here,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭Homelander

Really looking forward to it, but can't see Masvidal having anything for Usman. Never know though, he could get lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭xtal191

Usman wins with ease,
    Masvidal will be shown up here,

Completely agree with you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Can't see this being anything but a victory of Usman but I guess stranger things have happened. Looking forward to it anyway.

In other news, I came across this site recently that gives info for the next ufc event. Very handy
    https://nextufc.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Seeing alot of people pick masvidal against usman, also see people thinking he will ad 3 or 400k ppv buys.

Obviously anything can happen in mma but I look forward to this journey man being put in his place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

US2 wrote: »
    Seeing alot of people pick masvidal against usman, also see people thinking he will ad 3 or 400k ppv buys.

Obviously anything can happen in mma but I look forward to this journey man being put in his place.

Ah come on, he isn't a journeyman. A lot of his losses were split decisions against very good fighter and I thought he had won most of them. Sure is is now getting a lot of hype but crazy to say he isn't a great fighter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Just looking at his last 4 losses since 2015 all decision losses

Wonderboy
    Mia
    Larkin
    Henderson

it aint as if he is getting mauled by unrakned guys here like.

Journeyman? The man is a guaranteed MMA Hall of Fame inductee.

He's been at it from the beginning, from backyard brawls to Las Vegas arenas. He has been stoped twice in 38 pro fights (one sub one to punches). He has never been stopped inside the UFC. His last stoppage defeat was on 2009 and some of the decision loses in the UFC were razor tight and ones that probably should have went his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

He's a top 5 ww though, hardly a journey man and what journey man in recent memory has fought for a title? He's unlucky enough not
    to have fought for a belt, couple of split losses against top fighters and only
    wonderboy had a clearcut win over him in recent years.

He won't be embarrassed against anyone, might be outpointed by a smarter fighter alright but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You talk about him likes he's Cerrone, the bloke is never finished. Late bloomer maybe but definitely not a journeyman

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

People are silly,
    I think its the times we live in people watch boxing and get caught up in the number of defeats, Which normally just means the guy has been protected and thinks the same should apply to MMA ,
    In MMA everyone people bar the GOATS have more than a couple of losses ,
    Its just the way the sport is there are so many ways to lose and as its a young sport it evolves so quickly and your not protected with easy fights like in boxing,

Masvidal is top fighter one of the best in the world no chance in hell is he a journey man ,

But with that said I think he will lose, I just think Usman is better than him,

I think he loses too, but I think he could give Usman a tough time for a couple of rounds. Masvidal is definitely a crafty fighter and his takedown defence is excellent over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

You'd be inclined to bet on Usman by decision, with that said, Colby showed he's hitable and Jorge has a lot more power than Colby so punchers chance, would put a sneaky bet on him by TKO but if Usman is concerned about that then he should be able to get close and wrestle, either way I'll be tuning in, exciting fight

D'Agger wrote: »
    You'd be inclined to bet on Usman by decision, with that said, Colby showed he's hitable and Jorge has a lot more power than Colby so punchers chance

My thoughts exactly, although I'd give him more than just a punchers chance. That to me suggests one lucky hail Mary haymaker. Jorge is both tough and smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

I'm surprised Usman took a change of opponent at such short notice as he certainly has a lot more to lose.
    Should be a great fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Gamb!t wrote: »
    I'm surprised Usman took a change of opponent at such short notice as he certainly has a lot more to lose.
    Should be a great fight.

Guess he is thinking of the champion PPV points as its a big card and JM is going to add somewhat to that. Talking about missing out on millions and I'm sure he thinks he has a good chance against someone with no camp.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement