Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

mailburner wrote: »
    He's a top 5 ww though, hardly a journey man and what journey man in recent memory has fought for a title? He's unlucky enough not
    to have fought for a belt, couple of split losses against top fighters and only
    wonderboy had a clearcut win over him in recent years.

He won't be embarrassed against anyone, might be outpointed by a smarter fighter alright but that's about it.

Iaquinta

The lad DJ fought, Tim something or other.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

There are videos of Masvadale and Covington training/wresting/****ing around in their living room when they used to live together, obviously it's not an actual fight but it's like watching a big brother toy with the younger brother. Usman is a brilliant wrestler with an unreal gas tank. He's gonna walk through Masvadale.

Then again it's MMA and it only takes one punch/lknee

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Iaquinta

The lad DJ fought, Tim something or other.

they were more last minute replacements if I remember right with little to no chance of success even though both performed well but I'd forgotten about soto.

credit to Usman though for taking the fight when there's a real risk involved although with no camp and a **** load of weight to cut Usman should win most rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

they were more last minute replacements if I remember right with little to no chance of success even though both performed well but I'd forgotten about soto.

credit to Usman though for taking the fight when there's a real risk involved although with no camp and a **** load of weight to cut Usman should win most rounds.

Any fight is a risk though? I'm not buying the litte to gain argument. Masvidal is a bigger name and draw and Usman will get more PPV money which could be a million or 2.
    Surely its less risk than burns who has been very active and a big threat. As I've said before Usman rejects the fight he gets zero!

As a few have said very last minute for JM. Odds are stacked with Usman not against. One of the most concrete cases of take the fight I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Mike Perry is going to be in some hot water.

He got a little aggressive in a bar. Was at the doorway being very Mike Perry. An older gentleman decided to get involved and tried to grab or shove Perry......... TKO!

https://twitter.com/MMAEejit/status/1281014903206293505?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1281014903206293505%7Ctwgr%5E&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mmafighting.com%2F2020%2F7%2F8%2F21318251%2Fvideo-mike-perry-punches-older-man-in-bar-dispute-policy-say-three-assaulted

• Advertisement

career gone down the toilet there possibly.

It's sad to see :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Mike Perry is going to be in some hot water.

He got a little aggressive in a bar. Was at the doorway being very Mike Perry. An older gentleman decided to get involved and tried to grab or shove Perry......... TKO!

https://twitter.com/MMAEejit/status/1281014903206293505?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1281014903206293505%7Ctwgr%5E&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mmafighting.com%2F2020%2F7%2F8%2F21318251%2Fvideo-mike-perry-punches-older-man-in-bar-dispute-policy-say-three-assaulted

I'm not hugely surprised after he explained how he ended up in a fight in a bar a few months back with Helwani.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭Homelander

Don't think it's a a career ender at all. Obviously he was acting like a total tool, but the older fat lad was clearly antagonizing him, mocks Perry's claim that he'll knock him out, and then actually rushes him leading to the punch.

Again, paints Perry in a terrible light (which is fair, he's really not a nice guy), but not sure he'll be in too much trouble over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Porthallian

He's now 2-0 with Latory Gonzalez in his corner. Talented coach

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭cletus

He won't get into any trouble with the UFC. There's a chance he gets sued by the old guy he hit, I suppose.

As regards his career, anyone who follows MMA will not be surprised by that video, and anyone who doesn't know him won't care

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

What a scumbag, hope he's done for assault for provoking the guy into the fight

Also.. did he call a guy there the n-word?

What a scumbag, hope he's done for assault for provoking the guy into the fight

Also.. did he call a guy there the n-word?

It's ok to say it if you're black, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Would be some craic if it ended his career, given that McGregor belting the oul fella in the bar was far worse.

Is Perry black?

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Would be some craic if it ended his career, given that McGregor belting the oul fella in the bar was far worse.

He didn't try to knock him out though right? The way he did it was maybe more scumbaggish but less dangerous imo

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

career gone down the toilet there possibly.

It's sad to see :(

Won't affect his career at all. The UFC and MMA in general is full of wife beating scumbags and lads who gets in fights in public a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

He didn't try to knock him out though right? The way he did it was maybe more scumbaggish but less dangerous imo

Everybody knows to stick to 50% power on OAPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,327 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It may be, depends on context. But I don’t see the relevance here. He’s white.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Disgusting behaviour, shows mental health issues.
    The physical and verbal abuse needs to be punished, trained fighters like him who allow themselves to become out of control like that should receive hefy punishments.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Mellor wrote: »

I think you'll find he's 2% African, which makes it ok for him to say that word!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Porthallian

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I think you'll find he's 2% African, which makes it ok for him to say that word!

The real Nigerian Nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭cletus

Esse85 wrote: »
    Disgusting behaviour, shows mental health issues.
    The physical and verbal abuse needs to be punished, trained fighters like him who allow themselves to become out of control like that should receive hefy punishments.

Or maybe he's just a drunk asshole

Esse85 wrote: »
    trained fighters like him who allow themselves to become out of control like that should receive hefy punishments.
    I don’t see why being trained is relevant.
    Somebody untrained behaving like that is equally at fault. It’s assault regardless of what sport you take part in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I don’t see why being trained is relevant.
    Somebody untrained behaving like that is equally at fault. It’s assault regardless of what sport you take part in.

I'd imagine a judge seeing he is a professional fighter would consider that an aggravating rather than mitigating circumstance.

Won't affect his career at all. The UFC and MMA in general is full of wife beating scumbags and lads who gets in fights in public a lot.

This is true but this is a bit more public

It may not matter at all I guess, will only be a matter of time before he does something worse anyway

DrPhilG wrote: »

was only a slap in comparison, he could have done
    a lot more damage had he wanted but still showed his true character there.
    The aul fella barely reacted

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Perry has always come across as unstable,
    Its no wonder he doesn't have a trainer , he is a total lose cannon ,
    Seems to have the personality where its probably best he stays away from Booze,

I was joking.

Ush1 wrote: »
    I'd imagine a judge seeing he is a professional fighter would consider that an aggravating rather than mitigating circumstance.
    I’m sure somebody has successfully argued similar in court. Certainly in media it’s painted that way. But legally it’s all assault.
    I can’t see why somebody untrained doing it should be view as less serious.

I doubt anything will come of it. Perry’s not a big enough name to make mainstream waves. And within MNA media, people won’t be surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I seen Ben Askren on with Ariel yesterday saying he knows for a fact that Colby Covington has turned down a fight with Tyron Woodley at least 6 times.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement