Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,388 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Homelander wrote:
    Don't think it's a a career ender at all. Obviously he was acting like a total tool, but the older fat lad was clearly antagonizing him, mocks Perry's claim that he'll knock him out, and then actually rushes him leading to the punch.
    Again, paints Perry in a terrible light (which is fair, he's really not a nice guy), but not sure he'll be in too much trouble over it.
    Where have you been for the last couple of months? He didn't just get in a fight, he used the N word multiple times. Career over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

eagle eye wrote: »
    Where have you been for the last couple of months? He didn't just get in a fight, he used the N word multiple times. Career over.

Hes been saying nigga all his life, he's from the hood. Im sure he calls hes black friends nigga too. This will have no affect on his career

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭xtal191

Was he hitting his girlfriend?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Whelo79 wrote: »
    I seen Ben Askren on with Ariel yesterday saying he knows for a fact that Colby Covington has turned down a fight with Tyron Woodley at least 6 times.

As an aside, I had to laugh that while he thought it was shítty of Masvidal to him him after the knee, he thought the 'super necessary' line was funny. Credit where its due

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Maybe he was just p!ssed that girl ate his fries :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

For saying the N Word?

It's not as if he was brandishing it like some sort of racial slur aimed directly at a black person in order to insult them. He was saying it because he's an idiot who thinks he's some sort of gangsta character from a movie. He comes from.a "street" background and thinks he can throw it around like it's thrown around by the black community. Completely different to the first scenario. I'm not even sure the people he was saying it to were black.

Despite what the internet might try lead people to believe, context exists no matter what the word. Which is why my mates don't punch me every time I call one a "mad c*nt" or whatever.

What are they gonna do? Cancel Mike.Perry?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

You have to be "something to someone" to get cancelled. Mike Perry is nothing to anyone. Distinctly average fighter who would be no loss to UFC or MMA. Complete tool and always has been.

MrStuffins wrote:
    What are they gonna do? Cancel Mike.Perry?
    You use the n word in the USA at this moment in time and you are gone.
    A NASCAR driver used it with his mic accidentally open during an online race and lost his job. He wasn't directing it at a black person when he said it but that didn't matter.
    You have to be "something to someone" to get cancelled. Mike Perry is nothing to anyone. Distinctly average fighter who would be no loss to UFC or MMA. Complete tool and always has been.
    This makes it so much easier to dump home. It'll happen, sponsors will demand it. Disney will demand it, all about their image and not being seen to have any acceptance of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭cletus

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Mellor wrote: »
    I don’t see why being trained is relevant.
    Somebody untrained behaving like that is equally at fault. It’s assault regardless of what sport you take part in.

It's completely relevant due to the damage they can inflict.

• Advertisement

Esse85 wrote: »

There's nothing in law that I'm aware of that says assault by a trained fighter is more egregious than assault by a non trained person

cletus wrote: »
    There's nothing in law that I'm aware of that says assault by a trained fighter is more egregious than assault by a non trained person

I can't speak for the actual law, but as a fan of Con Air, I'd argue otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

As opposed to a non trained person?
    Both can inflict equal amounts of damage

cletus wrote:
    Well in Texas you have these lines in their law as well regards deadly weapons,

(A) a firearm or anything manifestly designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of inflicting death or serious bodily injury; or

(B) anything that in the manner of its use or intended use is capable of causing death or serious bodily injury.

So, and it's happened with an MMA fighter there by the name of Jamal Parks, a trained fighter can be charged with assault with a deadly weapon if he uses any part of his body which he is trained to use professionally as a weapon.
    Each US state has different laws but this happened in Texas so it's possible he gets charged with Aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

(A) a firearm or anything manifestly designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of inflicting death or serious bodily injury; or

(B) anything that in the manner of its use or intended use is capable of causing death or serious bodily injury.

So, and it's happened with an MMA fighter there by the name of Jamal Parks, a trained fighter can be charged with assault with a deadly weapon if he uses any part of his body which he is trained to use professionally as a weapon.
    Each US state has different laws but this happened in Texas so it's possible he gets charged with Aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

Happened with my Uncle Tony as well when I was about 8. His hands were considered "Deadly Weapons".

He got convicted but escaped prison.

Went on to train Van Damme for his movies and invented that move where you walk away from something as it explodes behind you.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Happened with my Uncle Tony as well when I was about 8. His hands were considered "Deadly Weapons".

He got convicted but escaped prison.

Went on to train Van Damme for his movies and invented that move where you walk away from something as it explodes behind you.

That move peaked in Con Air. Perfection.

It is a good move to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

That move peaked in Con Air. Perfection.

It is a good move to be fair.
    Why couldn't you put the bunny back in the box.

Great cast in that movie

I, for one, would like to thank Mike Perry for coming into our lives and ensuring that I spend my Friday night watching Con Air!

Have you got a link for that? A quick Google search shows up a number of references to Jamal Parks as an MMA fighter, but no reference to arrest of being charged with anything relating to him being a deadly weapon, and one article in the Chicago Tribune about the death of a Jamal Parks in a shoot out with police officers, but no mention of MMA. There is a list of prior offences for this Jamal Parks, but again nothing about him being a deadly weapon

• Registered Users Posts: 29,836 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Advertisement

Not quite the Nike or Under Armour that was being talked about.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,836 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Not quite the Nike or Under Armour that was being talked about.

I think will lead to nicer gear /more customisation and the statement says the fighters get an increase of the cut but who knows how it will play out. But yeah, seems like a backstep brand wise. Maybe the bigger brands saw how much everyone hated reebok from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,657 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Seems like a backstep but Venum are well respected in MMA in fairness.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Have you got a link for that? A quick Google search shows up a number of references to Jamal Parks as an MMA fighter, but no reference to arrest of being charged with anything relating to him being a deadly weapon, and one article in the Chicago Tribune about the death of a Jamal Parks in a shoot out with police officers, but no mention of MMA. There is a list of prior offences for this Jamal Parks, but again nothing about him being a deadly weapon

Search for Jamaul Edward Parks, Texas. It's not really the same situation though as this was him going mental on some guy and the cops afterwards

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I, for one, would like to thank Mike Perry for coming into our lives and ensuring that I spend my Friday night watching Con Air!

Last time I saw it I thought it had aged really badly

cletus wrote:
    I can't provide links on this app but I can tell you he was charged with aggravated assault.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,327 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Is it more acceptable for somebody who is untrained to sucker punch a stranger? It’s not imo.

I understand your logic. But I just can’t agree that being untrained makes in any more acceptable.

https://law.justia.com/cases/texas/second-court-of-appeals/2017/02-15-00420-cr.html

Here is the case, I presume.

He may well have been charged with aggravated assault, but that has nothing to do with him being a "deadly weapon".

MMA is mentioned once, as his occupation.

There is no mention whatsoever of his assault being any more egregious, or wrong, or illegal due to his training.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,327 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

(B) anything that in the manner of its use or intended use is capable of causing death or serious bodily injury

I don't think either of those applies to simply being a martial artists

This is stuff out of movies.
    Steven Seagal or Van DAmme having to register their hands as deadly weapons, it's not real.

He may well have been charged with aggravated assault, but that has nothing to do with him being a "deadly weapon".
    He pulled out a machete during the assault, :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

ddiPqB.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement