Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Does anyone know much about rhys mckee? How do people think he'll do in the UFC?

I've followed Rhys for a good while now, he's an excellent fighter. Very capable with his boxing and good on the ground. He was always going to get to the UFC.

This will be a very tough debut for him though. 6 days notice, coming out of lockdown, and against a lad who looked excellent a few days ago. Not ideal circumstances at all.

Whelo79 wrote: »
    I've followed Rhys for a good while now, he's an excellent fighter. Very capable with his boxing and good on the ground. He was always going to get to the UFC.

This will be a very tough debut for him though. 6 days notice, coming out of lockdown, and against a lad who looked excellent a few days ago. Not ideal circumstances at all.

If he does lose this short notice fight, hopefully the UFC will be thankful to him for taking this fight on short notice and give him another fight with a full training camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

If he does lose this short notice fight, hopefully the UFC will be thankful to him for taking this fight on short notice and give him another fight with a full training camp.

He signed a 4 fight deal!

I'm chuffed for him, I know a couple of his friends and have met him before. he's a gent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

ASOT wrote: »
    He signed a 4 fight deal!

I'm chuffed for him, I know a couple of his friends and have met him before. he's a gent.

4 fight deal means nothing. If he loses they can cut him. If he wins they have him locked into a low pay (probably) contract. Having said that you would think they will give him a 2nd fight but 2 losses and they will just cut the contract. Harsh world.

Beersmith wrote: »
    4 fight deal means nothing. If he loses they can cut him. If he wins they have him locked into a low pay (probably) contract. Having said that you would think they will give him a 2nd fight but 2 losses and they will just cut the contract. Harsh world.

Ah I know I'm just saying it how it is, alot of last minute fighters sign one fight deals. This is a 4 fight deal that he was going to get regardless of the late notice.

• Advertisement

Mckee only just gone up to WW and his opponent just after winning at MW is a very tough ask!

Yep stacked against him, hope he puts on a good show but I'd be backing against him if I was putting money on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

That was brilliant!

I'd love to know what was happening at the airport were Bisping was going nuts!

He spoke about it on the podcast, I think one of the staff had taken his suitcase or something. He was saying it was chaos when they first got there in terms of organisation. People obviously very tired too.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,327 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I seen on IG he's looked to be wearing a purple belt. Assume his jiu jitsu is decent.
    How is his wrestling though?
    ASOT wrote: »
    Ah I know I'm just saying it how it is, alot of last minute fighters sign one fight deals. This is a 4 fight deal that he was going to get regardless of the late notice. .

I think the 1 fight deal is only for last minute replacements. Say a fight in Europe, someone gets injured and a local teammate steps in.

This is short notice, but it's not replacement AFAIK. So fair enough to assume they had they eye on him and this is just happens to be short notice. He should get at least a follow up fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Yeah it was the same with Paul Redmond. He fought Bektic on a week's notice and lost but still got a second chance with a full camp against Whiteford.

Pulling the UFC out at short notice will more often than not earn you a second fight regardless.

Lose the second fight though and you're out on your ear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think McKee will be taken to the ground and stopped,
    Good fighter but I think he will struggle in this one but whish him the best and hope he wins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Mckee will be mauled and out of there within one or two rounds.

The Wolf looks the real deal. He is like a taller and bigger version of the goat Khabib. He looked amazing at middleweight and I heard his natural weight is at Welterweight.

Its a fantastic fight card next Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Here's a fight on Bamma which Rhys lost to Terry Brazier which was wrestling heavy.

https://youtu.be/yGADaHM3kzU

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Chimaev went straight for the takedown against Phillips and absolutely mauled him on the ground.

Early night for McKee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Khabib could be out for a long time, possibly next year suprised justin doesn't want red panty night

https://twitter.com/Chisanga_Malata/status/1285250058091483136?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Hwres the interview

https://youtu.be/Mr8ABrfI_mA

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

US2 wrote: »
    Khabib could be out for a long time, possibly next year suprised justin doesn't want red panty night

https://twitter.com/Chisanga_Malata/status/1285250058091483136?s=19

He could be playing hard ball to more money maybe. It worked for Diaz for the rematch.

You would think its more likely his father dying would be the reason

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

You would think its more likely his father dying would be the reason

I think he was talking about Gaethje.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

I see the UFC have dug Little Nog out of retirement for their next card.

How desperate are they for fighters people have heard of at this stage?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Little Nog hasn't retired..he was scheduled to have his trilogy fight with Shogun in May and was expected to retire after that, this is that fight rescheduled.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,327 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Little Nog was never retired. He fought last year, and has one fight left on his contract.
    Will probably continue to fight past this in Japan.

The more I'm thinking about it Mckee is going to be completed smashed in there. I think it would have been reasonable for his management to have declined this opportunity for something to prepare a bit more for. I really don't understand this last minute step in for guy that only fought 3 weeks ago. Fans aren't clamouring to see chimaev fight or he is a headliner etc. Just seems a bit mad to rush into this hard of an opponent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

The more I'm thinking about it Mckee is going to be completed smashed in there. I think it would have been reasonable for his management to have declined this opportunity for something to prepare a bit more for. I really don't understand this last minute step in for guy that only fought 3 weeks ago. Fans aren't clamouring to see chimaev fight or he is a headliner etc. Just seems a bit mad to rush into this hard of an opponent.

The one thing we know about the UFC is that they're a vindictive bastards. When they will treat top level pros like **** and put them on the shelf for months/years for not saying yes to them, the guy on the local level saying no is giving them a chance to scrub you from their list of potential fighters they could sign.

Also take into a account of the pandemic we're going through, when will the next time a local show will even be on for him to make some money and stay active or is he even working outside of fighting right now? Getting 8k to show looks very inviting when you're on the low rung of the MMA ladder.

Hopefully he can pull off the upset or put on a solid showing with the late notice and get another crack at it.

^ yeah agreed. This is a super weird case as chimaev just fought a few weeks ago so what is the rush in getting him to fight again

• Registered Users Posts: 29,836 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Speaking of Nog, i miss the Big Nog days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Still Ill

I think they're just scrambling to get anyone who's willing to fight to fill up the cards at the moment. They're coming thick and fast and there's probably a lot of guys out of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Who do people think will win between Whittaker and Till?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Esse85 wrote: »
    Who do people think will win between Whittaker and Till?

Whittaker.

He ****ed himself over in the title fight by changing his style to match one which seemed to work well for Gastlum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

JJayoo wrote: »
    Whittaker.

He ****ed himself over in the title fight by changing his style to match one which seemed to work well for Gastlum.

Two likeable fighters, I think the longer it stays on the feet I'd fancy Till, anything else and I'd make Whittaker the favourite.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement