Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Completely agree with all the above, the nonsense I seen being spouted (not here) was that Diaz was getting into it before the doctor stopped it and Masvidal was slowing down :pac:

I didn't see it myself and expect Masvidal to do the exact same again. Easy fight to put together for the ufc and you'd imagine it'll draw good numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

ASOT wrote: »
    Completely agree with all the above, the nonsense I seen being spouted (not here) was that Diaz was getting into it before the doctor stopped it and Masvidal was slowing down :pac:

I didn't see it myself and expect Masvidal to do the exact same again. Easy fight to put together for the ufc and you'd imagine it'll draw good numbers.

Diaz was going to peak in the later rounds!

That's why I propose this fight be a 17 rounder! Only slaps allowed in the first 5 rounds. It's the only fair way to settle it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Porthallian

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Diaz was going to peak in the later rounds!

That's why I propose this fight be a 17 rounder! Only slaps allowed in the first 5 rounds. It's the only fair way to settle it!

"...declaring the winner, by submission due to Stockton Slaps... Naaaaate Diiaaaaaz"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

You would think if nate and jorge could headline two different cards and make more money than putting them together. Seems a weird rematch alright

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

I guess it's one of the few big money fights right now so why not

maybe it's the match up that'll generate the most money for both fighters and the ufc too even if the rematch makes no sense

I would love to have seen masvidal v colby myself, that for me just
    has to happen at some stage and maybe that could generate decent
    ppv numbers too and let's face it I doubt too many really want
    to see woodley v colby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Is that the best the UFC can come up with for him? He battered Diaz, we don't need to see that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Throw the rankings and what's 'deserved' in the ditch and I'll be tuning in for the rematch because it'll be great viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Mehaffey1 wrote: »
    Throw the rankings and what's 'deserved' in the ditch and I'll be tuning in for the rematch because it'll be great viewing.

Really? First one was ****e. Diaz offered nothing.

No one is saying it isn't deserved or not, just odd and nothing anyone really wants. Id prefer to see them both fight someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Thiago Santos v Glover Texeira and
    Angela Hill v Michelle Waterson set for
    12th September.

Well matched bouts in my opinion, wouldn't be sleeping on Glover as many are sure to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Masvidal vs Diaz makes sense. Massively overrated fighters that would most likely be found out by any of the genuine contenders in the division. May as well milk it while they have momentum.
    Not to **** on the run Masvidal went on or anything, but a lot of things went right for him.

derfderf wrote: »
    Masvidal vs Diaz makes sense. Massively overrated fighters that would most likely be found out by any of the genuine contenders in the division. May as well milk it while they have momentum.
    Not to **** on the run Masvidal went on or anything, but a lot of things went right for him.

What are you talking about, masvidal just went the distance on short notice against the champ. Diaz did beat conor and pettis.

Sounds like yet again the boards everyone is a journeyman argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Beersmith wrote: »
    What are you talking about, masvidal just went the distance on short notice against the champ. Diaz did beat conor and pettis.

Sounds like yet again the boards everyone is a journeyman argument.

Check Usman's record, most fighters go the distance with him. It will probably be an entertaining (but one sided) fight, but name two fighters in any other division with their standing that would be headlining a PPV?

Mehaffey1 wrote: »
    Thiago Santos v Glover Texeira and
    Angela Hill v Michelle Waterson set for
    12th September.

Texeira has covid so that's gone now

So Angela Hill main event :pac:
    If ever a card needed a main event to happen it's this one https://www.sherdog.com/events/UFC-Fight-Night-177-Waterson-vs-Hill-86969

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

derfderf wrote: »

Yup, scarafice unreliable Diaz to continue the Mazvidale hype train. Mazvidale is good for business, plus he is clearly good to work with as the UFC are using him as the face for numerous events/promotions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭xtal191

Masvidal is also nearly 36, you cant blame him taking an easy pay day against Diaz and keeping his hype train going. Its either that, fight a contender, very likely lose and wave goodbye to anymore big money fights.

Personally I've very little interest in Masvidal vs Diaz, I've honestly zero interest in ever seeing the Diaz brothers again, but it def makes sense from Masvidals point of view. Who knows after he destroys Diaz again maybe he'll get Conor.

mailburner wrote: »
    Texeira has covid so that's gone now

So Angela Hill main event :pac:
    If ever a card needed a main event to happen it's this one https://www.sherdog.com/events/UFC-Fight-Night-177-Waterson-vs-Hill-86969

Hill v Waterson confirmed as a 5 round main event.
    Not exactly a dream headliner but kudos to both for going 5 rounds. Unlike Smith v Rakic on short notice.

Hill v Waterson confirmed as a 5 round main event.
    Not exactly a dream headliner but kudos to both for going 5 rounds. Unlike Smith v Rakic on short notice.

I was relieved for Smith when I realised it was only 3 rounds and pretty happy afterwards that I didn't have to sit through 2 more of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,331 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ASOT wrote: »

Yeah it was meant to be from mid October. But 2 cards got moved from Vegas to Fight Island.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Yeah it was meant to be from mid October. But 2 cards got moved from Vegas to Fight Island.

Yep, official now anyway.

Also Lanes finally found someone to let him bang.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/9/3/21421508/phil-baroni-out-of-bkfc-12-main-event-julian-lane-steps-in-to-fight-thiago-alves

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Didn't realise Alves had left the UFC.

Also what the actual F is Phil Baroni still doing fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

I doubt Nick will actually return to UFC nor should he be allowed. Hasn't fought in over 5 years, hasn't won a fight in 10 years. I really don't see any point of him returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,331 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

US2 wrote: »
    I doubt Nick will actually return to UFC nor should he be allowed. Hasn't fought in over 5 years, hasn't won a fight in 10 years. I really don't see any point of him returning.

I thought you were exaggerating with the 10 years. But it’s not too far off. Jaysus.

Mellor wrote: »
    I thought you were exaggerating with the 10 years. But it’s not too far off. Jaysus.

If he fights in 2021 it'll be 10. The sport has moved on alot since then. Maybe Masvidal is a good matchup for him but he loses that even I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

I think Lawler would be a more fitting return for Diaz. No one knows, but he's unlikely to be championship level at 170, so fighting Masvidal/Covington would just be sad.

Khabib v Gathje will be on at 10pm Irish time. Great stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

US2 wrote: »
    Khabib v Gathje will be on at 10pm Irish time. Great stuff

if its not PPV , the 10 euro now TV pass will be the jobbo

dashoonage wrote: »
    if its not PPV , the 10 euro now TV pass will be the jobbo

I forgot the fact it could be PPV. That's a card and a time I'd have no problem paying for

• Advertisement

The potential Poirier v Ferguson fight at UFC 254 is off. UFC couldnt agree terms with Poirier.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement