Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Bravetv.com showing live MMA at the moment, Brave 41. Cian Cowley fighting in the next half hour or so.

Another loss for Cowley, sure the end of his professional career.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Another loss for Cowley, sure the end of his professional career.

I've watched his last few fights and for someone who is supposed to be a 'feared' Muay Thai fighter he is completely gun shy when it comes to striking in MMA. He barely threw a strike in his last 3 fights. A couple of his entrances into striking range yesterday looked like he was a complete novice. So weird. There is obviously some form of mental block there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

I've watched his last few fights and for someone who is supposed to be a 'feared' Muay Thai fighter he is completely gun shy when it comes to striking in MMA. He barely threw a strike in his last 3 fights. A couple of his entrances into striking range yesterday looked like he was a complete novice. So weird. There is obviously some form of mental block there.

his stand up was good, then he went to SBG and it did not get any better. His ground and grappling are shocking. No sure if he is full time but 4 years or so working it it should be a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

his stand up was good, then he went to SBG and it did not get any better. His ground and grappling are shocking. No sure if he is full time but 4 years or so working it it should be a lot better.
    Even if he had zero grappling prior, after 4 years as a pro, he should be pretty competent.
    Not a black belt or anything but reasonably competent purple anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Mellor wrote: »
    Even if he had zero grappling prior, after 4 years as a pro, he should be pretty competent.
    Not a black belt or anything but reasonably competent purple anyway.

His grappling is much better. The guy he fought a couple of days ago was a wrestler and he held him off quite well I thought. It was mostly stalling the takedown though and he was too slow to work his way out of the clinch. I don't see where he goes from here. Kavanagh was talking in advance about how Cowley has this pressure to win because of his background and it is effecting his performance on the night. Supposedly a different fighter in the gym yadda yadda yadda and that he has to go out and finish this fight in style.

2-6 record for him now. Pretty ugly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

I really think SBG are over rated as a gym. Dont get me wrong, its a fine gym, and produces good fighters, but not close to the level of talent youd get at ATT or JW. I think they lucked out with Conor

I really think SBG are over rated as a gym. Dont get me wrong, its a fine gym, and produces good fighters, but not close to the level of talent youd get at ATT or JW. I think they lucked out with Conor

Totally agree, most have been found out at this stage - no idea what the game is with the in and out karate stance that a lot of them try to use . They have a decent wrestling coach but the stand up is so so poor.

The experience the older lads (Holohan, King etc) encountered really spoke volumes of how they operate as a large gym.

His grappling is much better. The guy he fought a couple of days ago was a wrestler and he held him off quite well I thought. It was mostly stalling the takedown though and he was too slow to work his way out of the clinch. I don't see where he goes from here. Kavanagh was talking in advance about how Cowley has this pressure to win because of his background and it is effecting his performance on the night. Supposedly a different fighter in the gym yadda yadda yadda and that he has to go out and finish this fight in style.

2-6 record for him now. Pretty ugly.

Kavanagh is well able to talk a load of swiss and make excuses. At the end of the day Cowley hasn't and won't make it in the pro ranks. He started jits and wrestling too late (for the level he was aiming for) and seems to lack confidence when fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

I think the only ones overrating them are SBG themselves, is anyone fooled by them anymore? I don't think so. JK i some mouthpiece alright, right 100% of the time, win or learn (so much learning)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Main card starting at 1 tonight, lovely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Just saw this rare upkick KO on twitter!!

https://twitter.com/ChillemDafoe/status/1307363735179350017?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Not that rare tbh. There was a good few in the ufc back in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Not that rare tbh. There was a good few in the ufc back in the day

I don't think so...not recorded as finishes anyway. Niko Price won with one last year. But apparently that's one of two in UFC history. Jon Fitch with the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Stevie Ray has retired from MMA due to problems with his knee. A link to a video he made about it is in this tweet

https://twitter.com/Chisanga_Malata/status/1307991138796699648?s=19

Colby wrote:
    “Daniel Valverde… that guy is the best Judo and Jiu Jitsu player in the world.

I’ll put him up against anybody in the world in Jiu Jitsu. I’ll put a hundred grand on it and he’ll go against any Jiu Jitsu guy and I’ll guarantee he smokes them.”

Wut? WTF is Daniel Valverde.
    Anyway, challenge accepted
    “Colby I like you but free money is free money. I’ll put 200 against your hundred in a no gi, no time limit match. I have it ready to transfer to a third party account today. Congrats on the win by the way. Let me know.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

I rewatched the Ryan Hall vs Bj Penn fight last night, and it's even more impressive on replay. BJ yelped like a puppy. It was so fast I couldn't make out what happened.
    He finished him with a heel hook, but I'm sure the commentators said his knee is probably screwed.
    How does it mess up your knee rather than your ankle?

derfderf wrote: »
    He finished him with a heel hook, but I'm sure the commentators said his knee is probably screwed.
    How does it mess up your knee rather than your ankle?
    Heel hook, predominantly, attacks the knee as the torque on is transfer up the shin.
    There are variations that are less rotational and more bending force across the ankle that attack ankle ligaments. And most will attack both to a degree.

In most submissions, generally, you hold/manipulate one body part and the next joint up the chain is attacked.
    Toehold attacks the ankle. Arm bar controls wrist, attacks elbow. Kimura controls elbow, attacks shoulder. etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Mellor wrote: »
    Heel hook, predominantly, attacks the knee as the torque on is transfer up the shin.
    There are variations that are less rotational and more bending force across the ankle that attack ankle ligaments. And most will attack both to a degree.

In most submissions, generally, you hold/manipulate one body part and the next joint up the chain is attacked.
    Two hold attacks the ankla. Arm bar controls wrist, attacks elbow. Kimura controls elbow, attacks shoulder. etc

Thanks for the explanation. I think it's probably because there's a bit more give in your arms it's easier to see how it's working.
    When they attack the legs you can usually see them manipulating the foot, but not to the extent that you can see where the pressure is going.
    For a leg lock to be as visibly painful as a locked in Kimura i think you'd need the foot at 6 o'clock from the knee.

Yeah, which is in inherent danger with many leg locks. There's very range of rotation in your knee. It goes perfectly fine to disastrous very quickly. And can be quite hard to see what happened.

Where as in arm submissions you can see the holy fcuk movement easier. Example :eek:

https://streamable.com/ammc1d

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

The problem with heel hooks is you can be as careful as possible and not reef it once you have it locked in, but if the other fella tries to spin the wrong way and you can't let go quick enough, their knee will be wrecked.
    Both people really need to understand them and how the force is applied. The move itself isn't dangerous like people make it out to be, it's more the reaction to being put in one that can be dangerous.

As Mellor explained, it can go from tapping pressure to ****ed knee very quickly.

Also, that clip was mental, my shoulder hurt just looking at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

According to Wikipedia, Khabib v Justin is scheduled for October 25th, with the Main Card to kick off at 10pm. Abu Dhabi is three hours ahead of us.

So that means the card will kick off at 7pm on a Sunday evening? Surely this isn't correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

MrStuffins wrote: »
    According to Wikipedia, Khabib v Justin is scheduled for October 25th, with the Main Card to kick off at 10pm. Abu Dhabi is three hours ahead of us.

So that means the card will kick off at 7pm on a Sunday evening? Surely this isn't correct?

Yep. Same time as Khabib vs Poirier started.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The Nal wrote: »
    Yep. Same time as Khabib vs Poirier started.

But on a Sunday? That's bizarre!

I haven't watched a UFC PPV on a Sunday since Bravo had the rights :pac:

MrStuffins wrote: »
    But on a Sunday? That's bizarre!

I haven't watched a UFC PPV on a Sunday since Bravo had the rights :pac:

It's on a Saturday night

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Is Joshua Fabia the biggest fraud/con man in mma?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

ASOT wrote: »
    Is Joshua Fabia the biggest fraud/con man in mma?

Definitely. Conors movement coach was bad but not even on this level. As far as i know Fabio has zero martial arts experience, no competitive record, nothing. Total snake oil salesman

Definitely. Conors movement coach was bad but not even on this level. As far as i know Fabio has zero martial arts experience, no competitive record, nothing. Total snake oil salesman

Conor's movement coach is very good at what he does. It's just that what he does, isn't MMA.
    I'm not sure what this guy does, and whatever it is, he doesn't appear to be very good at it.

That Ralph Wiggum meme comes to mind when seeing this.

https://twitter.com/Maclifeofficial/status/1308938185817366529?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Mir signs with bkfc. Strange one for a guy who isn't a striker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,836 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

rob316 wrote: »
    Mir signs with bkfc. Strange one for a guy who isn't a striker.

And a glass chin. Mir was one time my favourite fighter when I first started watching MMA but this won't end up well for him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement