Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users Posts: 55,649 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Hall v Silva from Las Vegas tomorrow...

Is it on rather early?

BT seems to suggest this

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

walshb wrote: »
    Hall v Silva from Las Vegas tomorrow...

Is it on rather early?

BT seems to suggest this

Yeah 8 prelims and 11 main card it seems

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Clocks haven't changed in the US yet so its 1hr less of a time difference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Is Greg Hardy the first heaveyweight ever to not make the weight ?

• Advertisement

US2 wrote: »
    Is Greg Hardy the first heaveyweight ever to not make the weight ?

He made weight after the additional hour so no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Still Ill

How did he end up on the scales overweight if there was an hour more to spare? You'd think they'd have the correct equipment themselves so they could verify it first.

Still Ill wrote: »
    How did he end up on the scales overweight if there was an hour more to spare? You'd think they'd have the correct equipment themselves so they could verify it first.

I think you have to weigh in to get the extra hour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Still Ill

US2 wrote: »
    I think you have to weigh in to get the extra

Makes sense.. Thanks!

Izzy v Jan in the works according to Dana.

Not really into that myself, I'll watch it but seems pretty meh.

• Advertisement

I see Khabib posted yesterday on Instagram to the tune of "those people who died in France deserved it because Allah was mocked and hurt feelings are more important than human life".

Translated quote:
    Today, under the pretext of fighting for freedom of speech the enemies of Islam and Muslims of different levels are trying to offend the feelings of hundreds of millions of believers around the world by drawing cartoons of the best of people.

Do they really believe that in this way they will be able to extinguish the light of Allah, the spread of which He promised to bring to the end in his beautiful book? Do they really think that with their low and vile deeds they can do something to harm the one who came to this earth with only one purpose – to lead people out of the darkness of ignorance and worship of idols to the light of truth and worship of Allah alone – the Creator and true Master of all things?

By this act, they not only insulted the feelings of the Muslim believers, but also challenged the Lord of the Worlds, who promised to protect his messenger from the attacks of ignorant people.

Well, they did what they did and their work with Allah, and we will just say that truly you cannot harm Muhammad and the blessed memory of him in the hearts of one and a half billion people.

May Allah bless our beloved Prophet as well as his family, companions and all those who followed them in good. And may Allah unleash his punishment on everyone who encroaches on the honour of the best of people – his prophet Muhammad ﷺ. Indeed, Allah does not break promises.

Conor looks like an absolute saint compared to Khabib right now. It's a real shame Khabib never got knocked out. Openly supporting terrorism and spitting on this graves of three innocent people. Surprised this hasn't been posted yet, we all know if Conor had said something along the same lines this forum would be jumping up and down in a justified rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Nah he didn’t say they deserved to die. I’m a big Conor fan and definitely not a fan of khabib but khabib is talking about the people who drew the cartoons, dosnt mention the innocent people who were murdered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    Nah he didn’t say they deserved to die. I’m a big Conor fan and definitely not a fan of khabib but khabib is talking about the people who drew the cartoons, dosnt mention the innocent people who were murdered

Ah that's grand so, it's completely fair to kill people who draw cartoons that take the piss out of religions.

The lads who made Father Ted did well to escape having their heads put on a spike in that case :D

Edit: I guess the Monty Python lads are more accurate comparison seeing as he seems to be taking exception to the portrayals of Mohammed specifically, but still, the point stands...

I wondered why he commented on the cartoons so. It's almost like innocent people were killed for it and it was a major news story. :rolleyes:

C'mon man, it's not even up for debate. Khabib sides with the murderers rather than the victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I wondered why he commented on the cartoons so. It's almost like innocent people were killed for it and it was a major news story. :rolleyes:

C'mon man, it's not even up for debate. Khabib sides with the murderers rather than the victims.

I’m not going down some crazy rabbit hole on an mma thread

I’m not going down some crazy rabbit hole on an mma thread

Why not? After all, this is a MMA fighter who is currently considered the GOAT expressing a very suspect opinion on terrorism. Feel free to comment and not run away from a hard fact. Khabib has sided with terrorists. A rabbit hole implies nuance and very many avenues to go down. Personally, I don't think this is up for debate at all. When Conor called Khabib "backwards" he was accused of racism on this very forum. Now, we have Khabib showing just how backwards he actually is. Nothing Conor has said or done comes close to this in terms of sheer vulgarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

ASOT wrote: »
    Izzy v Jan in the works according to Dana.

Not really into that myself, I'll watch it but seems pretty meh.

A one sided beating for Jan, got a punchers chance same as he would have with jones but we all know what the outcome of either will be

It's no wonder Izzy is keen though really hoped that Santos might be next should he even bet Tex

Why not? After all, this is a MMA fighter who is currently considered the GOAT expressing a very suspect opinion on terrorism. Feel free to comment and not run away from a hard fact. Khabib has sided with terrorists. A rabbit hole implies nuance and very many avenues to go down. Personally, I don't think this is up for debate at all. When Conor called Khabib "backwards" he was accused of racism on this very forum. Now, we have Khabib showing just how backwards he actually is. Nothing Conor has said or done comes close to this in terms of sheer vulgarity.

I agree with you that it is ludicrous for people to think it's justified to kill someone that makes fun of your religion. I disagree with you when you try to make out that it's worse than anything mcgregor has done. Khabib may be totally wrong in his stance(I certainly think he is) , but he has that stance because of his unwavering belief and the way in which he has been educated about his religion.

Its not really the same thing as the sort of stuff mcgregor gets criticised for.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

It's been something that's been swept under the carpet with respect to the Dagestanis. They are unapologetically extreme in their viewpoints. Noticeable that the MMA forum on Reddit locked the thread talking about it. Probably safe to say Khabib would broadly be supportive of the views expressed in a lot of Muslim countries lately.

It's been something that's been swept under the carpet with respect to the Dagestanis. They are unapologetically extreme in their viewpoints. Noticeable that the MMA forum on Reddit locked the thread talking about it. Probably safe to say Khabib would broadly be supportive of the views expressed in a lot of Muslim countries lately.

To veer a bit off topic - exactly!
    I looked into Dagestan societal and cultural norms and links to Chechnyan extremists after watching the (excellent but unchallenging) Anatomy of a Fighter youtube series where Will Harris spent time in Dagestan with Kabhib and extended family. The youtube series was so interesting, but what is unsaid is a whole lot of the whys and hows: that women or girls are not even permitted to leave houses or be filmed is shocking. Google some of the human rights issues there for some balance.

• Advertisement

Cali_girl wrote: »
    To veer a bit off topic - exactly!
    I looked into Dagestan societal and cultural norms and links to Chechnyan extremists after watching the (excellent but unchallenging) Anatomy of a Fighter youtube series where Will Harris spent time in Dagestan with Kabhib and extended family. The youtube series was so interesting, but what is unsaid is a whole lot of the whys and hows: that women or girls are not even permitted to leave houses or be filmed is shocking. Google some of the human rights issues there for some balance.

But again, if this is the culture in which Khabib has been brought up in, and these are the beliefs and values that have been instilled in him and that he believes to be right and honourable, I don't think it's right to look at it in moral terms and try and make out this proves he is a "worse" person than mcgregor, which seems to be what the poster above seems to be saying.

A person can have a very strong moral compass, but it can be calibrated wrong because of faulty ideas that they have been indoctrinated into. I think trying to weigh up one person's behaviour against another is pointless given that everyone's behaviour is largely governed by factors outside our control in reality, but it's a huge stretch to claim that someone's questionable religious beliefs make them "worse" than someone who has a long list of actual violent crimes that can be pointed to as evidence of their less than perfect moral character (which as I already said, I personally think is a very dubious concept in itself anyway).

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    But again, if this is the culture in which Khabib has been brought up in, and these are the beliefs and values that have been instilled in him and that he believes to be right and honourable, I don't think it's right to look at it in moral terms and try and make out this proves he is a "worse" person than mcgregor, which seems to be what the poster above seems to be saying.

A person can have a very strong moral compass, but it can be calibrated wrong because of faulty ideas that they have been indoctrinated into. I think trying to weigh up one person's behaviour against another is pointless given that everyone's behaviour is largely governed by factors outside our control in reality, but it's a huge stretch to claim that someone's questionable religious beliefs make them "worse" than someone who has a long list of actual violent crimes that can be pointed to as evidence of their less than perfect moral character (which as I already said, I personally think is a very dubious concept in itself anyway).

I'm a HUGE admirer of Khabib and indeed Abdulmanap Nurmagomedov's talent, athleticism, discipline and commitment to furthering the sport and male youth of Dagestan. I also admire many of their efforts and generous support of local and international charities (eg Khabib's support of Poirier's local Layfayette foundation). There are many more than that example too - Khabib is by all accounts both shrewd and generous as a business man. Both father and son have helped lifted the tide of UFC and MMA in general and made huge practical difference in many young men's lives.

Moral absolutism is not my thing. Nor is personal finger pointing or comparisoning... X is bad but Y is badder? Nah. Z kinda meant well but it came out wrong... Nah. But i do think we all need to shine lights on all belief systems, question how and where they came from, whom they support and why, and question inequalities and whom they suppress.

Also, these are extremely complex societal questions. Appreciate your post - but not for an MMA Chat forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You are wrong here on two counts.
    The people at Charlie Hebdo who drew the cartoon were innocent people who where murdered. But Khabib clearly said;

"Today, under the pretext of fighting for freedom of speech..."

The cartoons are from years ago. Today specifically refers to the teacher who was beheaded last week for giving a freedom of speech class.
    Fall_Guy wrote: »

Turning everything into Khabib vrs McGregor is ridiculous, I agree completely with that. However, we don't need a person to stand in as a moral barometer.
    Supporting the little toe-rag that murdered and beheaded the teacher in France is absurdly wrong. The fact that Khabib, and others in the muslin world and caucus region are brought up to think the is the right way to act might explain why he thinks like that, but is doesn't excuse it.

The 18 year old Chechen also thought he was in the right and doing gods work when he was cutting of the teachers head in the street.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Folks this is an MMA forum....not the place for such discussion..back on topic

Sorry Axwell, just thought it was a bit important considering it was Khabib. <mod snip - fighter bashing not allowed in the charter either..>

• Registered Users Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Shevchenko after a Nunes rematch. Thought she won thew 2nd fight. Would be great to see it again.

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020/11/ufc-news-valentina-shevchenko-thinks-amanda-nunes-trilogy-logical

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Darren Till is out of his fight against Jack Hermansson on Dec 5 due to an injury.

Kevin Holland is his replacement though! He can be the first middleweight to get 5 wins in a calendar year if he is victorious.

What is it with dagastanis pulling out of fights, happens alot

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement