Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Paul Felder is stepping in on 5 days notice to fight RDA!!

It is still a 5 round fight.

Come on the Irish Dragon!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Strickland added to saturdays card to face brendan allen

That's a very quick turnaround after a 3 rounder only a week ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Paul Felder is stepping in on 5 days notice to fight RDA!!

It is still a 5 round fight.

Come on the Irish Dragon!!!

Still at 155lbs too. It'll be interesting to see how Felder copes with the cut

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

wondering will Felder have much weight to cut?
    He's been training for a triathlon so maybe not!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

mailburner wrote: »
    wondering will Felder have much weight to cut?
    He's been training for a triathlon so maybe not!

he said in an interview last night somewhere between 14-23lbs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Why would he give that much of a difference? surely you step on it and know what's left to go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

fitzparker wrote: »
    Why would he give that much of a difference? surely you step on it and know what's left to go

Because he doesn't want RDA to know if the cut is going to be hard or easy. It's rare a fighter tells their exact weight in the lead up to a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Valentina aside, this card looks like a binfire

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_255

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Homelander

Really? I think it's decent. All five main card fights are decent and some of the prelims are fairly ok as well.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Lads bit of common sense and cop on - use spoiler tags if you are going to talk about results of fights just done at the weekend and potential matchups for the winner...its literally in the title of the thread and you are all here long enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Holloway v Kattar announce for January 16th.

What a cracking fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

ASOT wrote: »

What a cracking fight.

Surprising to see that announced, just goes to show how quick the MMA World moves on and how good Kattar has been recently.

Watching UFC Countdown for 255, feel scared for Jennifer Maia going up against Shevchenko, very few in that elite league of Valentina.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Really looking forward to watching Deiveson Figueiredo this weekend. The 125'ers don't get much shine from most fans, but his performances against Benavidez were truly amazing. Carries serious KO power for the weight class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

What a cracking fight.

is that the mcgregor v poirier card?

ufc has released jussier formiga after a 3 fight losing streak a bit strange considering 4 fights ago he beat the current champ in a unanimous decision?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    is that the mcgregor v poirier card?

ufc has released jussier formiga after a 3 fight losing streak a bit strange considering 4 fights ago he beat the current champ in a unanimous decision?

Week before McGregor-Poirier

Chandler is looking to get on the McGregor v Poirier card to fight Tony Ferguson. That would be a cracking co main.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

I did a thing about Andy Silvas career rise and fall if anyone's interested :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Anyone know much about this crowd, keeps popping up as a promoted tweet on my Twitter news feed. Actually looks kind of good

https://twitter.com/KarateCombat/status/1328805113805365248?s=19

US2 wrote: »
    Anyone know much about this crowd, keeps popping up as a promoted tweet on my Twitter news feed. Actually looks kind of good

https://twitter.com/KarateCombat/status/1328805113805365248?s=19

Karate combat is ****ing GREAT. And by great, i mean terrible. But still great. I have no idea why it exists but i'm glad it does. I mean just look at their last event, they had a virtual crowd full of shaolin monks and lara croft cosplayers and a virtual backdrop of weird space looking stuff said the event was being held in outer space. This is the kind of ****ing lunacy i can get behind. The actual sport really doesnt make much sense as its basically kickboxing but with gi pants on and in a pit so it feels like youre watching live action mortal kombat or something. Bas Rutten commentates on it and the last few events they had alleged comdian Bryan Callen and some Pro Footballer who clearly knows nothing about combat sports commentating. It was a glorious mess. Bas at one point says a guy used an O Soto Gari (japanese name for a throw) on his opponent, and the footballer goes "HE HIT HIM WIT DA OOPSIE DOOPSIE!". Seriously Karate Combat is terrible, and brilliant, and i love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,836 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

After watching Cobra Kai, this is exactly what i was looking for!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It looks like kyokushin karate guys tried to create MMA events, with MMA rules, and without the inconvenience of other martial arts.
    And somehow managed to get Jor Rogan to design the arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

I did a thing about Andy Silvas career rise and fall if anyone's interested :D

That was very good but I do distinctly remember weidman being given a good chance of a win by a lot of people. There was a lot of hype with him being undefeated and the manner in which he knocked so many people out and had great wrestling which silvas opponents generally didn't have except sonnen who we saw hold him for near full 5 rounds. Along with being trained by matt serra so had a submission game too. Especially after the maia performance some thought he actually was waning.

Now I have to say I totally didn't buy any of that and was telling people silva would smoke weidman and then look what happened!

Beersmith wrote: »
    That was very good but I do distinctly remember weidman being given a good chance of a win by a lot of people. There was a lot of hype with him being undefeated and the manner in which he knocked so many people out and had great wrestling which silvas opponents generally didn't have except sonnen who we saw hold him for near full 5 rounds. Along with being trained by matt serra so had a submission game too. Especially after the maia performance some thought he actually was waning.

Now I have to say I totally didn't buy any of that and was telling people silva would smoke weidman and then look what happened!

Cheers man thanks for the feedback! Obviously its all my opinion and i tend to go on my memory of the fights and the build up, i just remembered at the time reading sherdog and most people assuming Anderson would merk Weidman... how wrong we were!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

xtal191 wrote: »

Tony's tweets make my eyes bleed.

As much as I enjoy him fighting I'd love him to retire, he's not in the best place mentally over the last few years the last thing he needs is more fights imo.

Tony's tweets make my eyes bleed.

As much as I enjoy him fighting I'd love him to retire, he's not in the best place mentally over the last few years the last thing he needs is more fights imo.

At least the first letter of every word wasn't capitalised this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

So Jones vs Stipe then

En-Mq0rc-WEAQ3-Aye.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

The Nal wrote: »
    So Jones vs Stipe then

En-Mq0rc-WEAQ3-Aye.jpg

Will be an epic 5 rounder, can't see any other outcome aside from a Jones' decision win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Really? I fancy Stipe to win. Jones hasn't impressed at all recently and Stipe is one of the best heavyweights ever. Very exciting match up either way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Yeah i really don't see how jones would be fav just because he added muscle, I mean of course he would going up a weight class. Stipe will still be bigger and is proven whereas jones has looked beatable over recent years

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement