Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Meisha won a world title with the big titties it's irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Well fighting can certainly have an impact on your looks, short and long term. I reckon I'd wait til after the fight before spending money on fillers.
    I'm not sure I follow your logic there.
    Fighting can affect your looks whether you get fillers or not. A crooked nose will still be crooked after the fillers wear off.

Things like corrective surgery, of course, wait until your finished smashing your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Filthy just filthy

So Yair didn't fail a test, just failed to give his where abouts and missed 3 tests. 6 month suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

US2 wrote: »
    So Yair didn't fail a test, just failed to give his where abouts and missed 3 tests. 6 month suspension.

"I didn't lie about shagging your sister, I just didn't tell you about it because I knew you'd go mental"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

US2 wrote: »

That seems very lenient for 3 missed tests to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,393 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This is why I think it's ridiculous. You don't even have to be suspected to get banned.
    USADA officials added that Rodriguez was eligible for a reduction in his sentence because “his conduct did not raise suspicion that he was trying to avoid being available for testing.”
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mmafighting.com/platform/amp/2020/12/3/22150500/yair-rodriguez-suspended-six-months-by-usada-for-failing-to-file-his-location-for-random-testing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

eagle eye wrote: »

What? There's no "suspicion" about it. He broke the rules, end of story.

The rules are a bit sh*te though let's be honest!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    The rules are a bit sh*te though let's be honest!

Why? It can very easily be argued that PED testing in combat sports is more important than in any other because of the capacity to gravely injure your opponent

Alan Jouban is upset because he might be out to dinner when they're looking for him? **** off and get another job then.

• Advertisement

Alan Jouban is upset because he might be out to dinner when they're looking for him? **** off and get another job then.

I feel like you're angry about something else!

USADA said his behaviour did not raise any suspicion that he was deliberately trying to avoid a test. It's a case of him him not updating his information. That's the rule he broke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Why? It can very easily be argued that PED testing in combat sports is more important than in any other because of the capacity to gravely injure your opponent

Meh, completely handing over any right to privacy seems like a fairly hefty price to pay for a drugs programme that probably does **** all for fighter safety or welfare in reality.

Khabib has been nominated for the BBC overseas Sports Personality of the year award.

USADA said his behaviour did not raise any suspicion that he was deliberately trying to avoid a test. It's a case of him him not updating his information. That's the rule he broke.

Exactly. He broke the rule and suffered the consequences.
    Fall_Guy wrote: »
    Meh, completely handing over any right to privacy seems like a fairly hefty price to pay for a drugs programme that probably does **** all for fighter safety or welfare in reality.

Nonsense. It's not even remotely "completely handing over a right to privacy". It's an agreement to abide by a particular set of rules, something Yair and Jouban did knowingly and willingly.

Yeah, forgot to update his details in the year of covid-19.

Yeah, forgot to update his details in the year of covid-19.

What the actual fck has covid got to do with it please explain

US2 wrote:
    What the actual fck has covid got to do with it please explain
    It's a difficult year for everybody.

Yeah, but the rule is a bit silly.

You seem unnaturally angry about this.

That's the second time you've suggested I'm angry with it. I'm not sure you understand the meaning of the word.

Why is the rule silly? If you want MMA to be credible as a sport, legitimate drug testing procedures have to be in place. In order to drug test, the fighter has to make themselves available.

• Advertisement

That's the second time you've suggested I'm angry with it. I'm not sure you understand the meaning of the word.

Now you're being silly.
    Why is the rule silly? If you want MMA to be credible as a sport, legitimate drug testing procedures have to be in place. In order to drug test, the fighter has to make themselves available.

Sure. And by that logic you could say "In order for MMA to be legitimate, in-cage rules need to be in place" but that doesn't mean the 12-to-6 elbow rule in isolation isn't a bit silly.

It's a bit much to suggest that Alan Jouban should not fight just because he wants to be able to have a life outside of fighting that doesn't necessitate him being at the beck & call of regulators 24 hours a day.

Rules aren't always set in stone. They can be changed and modified. In most cases it's better to work WITH the people you're trying to regulate rather than tell them to "**** off and get another job" as you put it.

That's the point, they don't have to be at the beck and call of testers 24 hours a day. Suggesting otherwise is either deliberately disingenuous, or reveals an ignorance of how the system and the rules that support it actually work.

Calm down pal!
    deliberately disingenuous

Like suggesting someone doesn't understand the word "angry".

This seems to have triggered you greatly. Some people are such big fans of rules that they will follow them to the hilt, without question, whether or not they make sense. A lot of times against all common sense. If you're one of these people, that's fine. Good for you.

For me, some of the whereabouts stuff is unreasonable.

Even if not, the last thing I'd be doing is sitting here, eating Cheetos, telling a professional fighter at the top level to "**** off and get another job" because he disagrees with the particulars of one of the rules. That would be a bit silly!

"Angry"

"Calm down"

"Triggered"

Sigh, now you're just boring me. Whether I'm one of "those types of people" (I'm assuming as opposed to your anti authoritarianism creed?) is irrelevant. Whether Jouban is one of those types of people is irrelevant. He and Yair both signed up to this. They can have absolutely zero complaints. Are the rules strict and unforgiving? Absolutely, because they have to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Surely after two missed tests you'd think you better be careful though.

Are the rules strict and unforgiving? Absolutely, because they have to be.

Not all of them. Some rules can be looked at and improved. Like in anything.

If you don't agree and this is a big trigger point for you, that's up to you! Doesn't bother me one way or another.

Still Ill wrote: »
    Surely after two missed tests you'd think you better be careful though.

True. He should have been smarter.

That's the point, they don't have to be at the beck and call of testers 24 hours a day. Suggesting otherwise is either deliberately disingenuous, or reveals an ignorance of how the system and the rules that support it actually work.
    An important part of USADA’s testing program is the ability to test athletes without any advance notice in an out-of-competition setting. 

An important part of USADA’s testing program is the ability to test athletes without any advance notice in an out-of-competition setting. 

And there are specific protocols to enable them to that. It doesn't contradict the statement that athletes are completely at the beck and call of USADA 24 hours a day the way you appear to think it does. The athlete designates where they'll be etc and are able to update this information no problem.

If I wanted to really nitpicky, I'd point out that there are actually specific times where USADA can test you. I think it's 22:00-06:00.

• Advertisement

If I wanted to really nitpicky, I'd point out that there are actually specific times where USADA can test you. I think it's 22:00-06:00.

So no going out at night and your nooky could be interrupted?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement