Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

• Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's a difficult year for everybody.

If anything, lockdown, travel restrictions, etc has made it significantly easier to update whereabouts in 2020.
    eagle eye wrote: »
    An important part of USADA’s testing program is the ability to test athletes without any advance notice in an out-of-competition setting. 
    I’m kinda confused what you are getting at. You seem to be against the rule in other posts, but this is the exact reason why it is required.

I’m very surprised at the amount of people saying it’s silly and such. I think it’s it’s absolutely crucial to proper drug testing, and assumed most would have agreed.
    It’s not like UFC fighters have extra requirements. It’s exactly the same in Olympic sports, tennis, cycling etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭smilerf

sad to see
    I thought he beat costa

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

A couple of narrow decisions went the other way and we'd have Romero in GOAT territory :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

weemcd wrote: »
    A couple of narrow decisions went the other way and we'd have Romero in GOAT territory :(

Like positive/negative??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

I wonder was it a POSITIVE development....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Yeah gotta be more to it than just the recent run of losses. Guys like Romero could lose 10 straight but when there's that chance of the vicious KO he's always going to have good fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020/12/usada-chi-lewis-perry-suspended-four-years-banned-substances?

That's some amount of substances to fail for, then tried to tait a supplement to use as evidence. 40 by the time the ban will be up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

ASOT wrote: »
    https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020/12/usada-chi-lewis-perry-suspended-four-years-banned-substances?

That's some amount of substances to fail for, then tried to tait a supplement to use as evidence. 40 by the time the ban will be up.

Harsh. Sure some of those rules are crazy strict. Very unfair on the athletes. Really infringes on their privacy. Overreach from USADA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Dominc Cruz fighting Casey Kenney in March. Fairly suprising. I'd have liked to see him fight Frankie Edgar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Harsh. Sure some of those rules are crazy strict. Very unfair on the athletes. Really infringes on their privacy. Overreach from USADA.

That's very good! Well done!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    That's very good! Well done!

Haha, it was all about which of us got there first.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

3 fights lost on tonights card so only an 8 fight card now

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020/12/covid-19-forces-ufc-on-espn-19-fight-cancellations

ASOT wrote: »

In reality that is probably an entirely normal steroid cycle for untested guys, bodybuilders etc.
    All 3 would well known under their marketed names.

Mellor wrote: »
    In reality that is probably an entirely normal steroid cycle for untested guys, bodybuilders etc.
    All 3 would well known under their marketed names.

Stanozolol was unanimously what Ben Johnson tested positive far over 30 years ago. Not even trying to be sophisticated or subtle about it.

Ostvich has been cut not aswell. Talk of them cutting 60 fighters before Christmas. Rockhold , Weidman, Perry , Cowboy will be sure to go ? Plenty cheap willing fighters coming off the contender series. Big cost cutting due to covid I presume ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Perry and Cowboy won't be cut I don't think. They are entertaining fighters.

US2 wrote: »
    Talk of them cutting 60 fighters before Christmas. Rockhold , Weidman, Perry , Cowboy will be sure to go ? Plenty cheap willing fighters coming off the contender series.

Weidman is booked for February

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Cowboy won't be cut, he's the biggest company man they have still fighting.

Whelo79 wrote: »

Romero was entertaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,395 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

eagle eye wrote:
    Please give the medical reasons it's not comparable.
    Cowboy is a huge deal, no chance he'll be cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

US2 wrote: »
    Romero was entertaining.

Do you not remember his last fight! Deserves to be cut just for that!

Whelo79 wrote: »

Is Perry entertaining? His UFC record is 7-7, with most of those losses more recently on the record. His "let's bang bro" style/mentality is only interesting and entertaining if he can pull it off, which he's doing a good job of proving he can't. As for the rest of his personality, I'm not sure even the biggest meathead UFC fans find him entertaining any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Is Perry entertaining? His UFC record is 7-7, with most of those losses more recently on the record. His "let's bang bro" style/mentality is only interesting and entertaining if he can pull it off, which he's doing a good job of proving he can't. As for the rest of his personality, I'm not sure even the biggest meathead UFC fans find him entertaining any more.

Find Perry the opposite of entertaining over the last 12 months, definitely a big question of C.T.E or other mental issues hanging over him going unanswered.

Miesha Tate out of retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Class action lawsuits going ahead (pending a ufc appeal/settlement)

https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/12/10/22168727/judge-certifies-bout-class-in-ufc-anti-trust-lawsuit-2010-2017-fighters-as-plaintiffs

Be interesting to see which fighters opt out as it's going to include over 1000 by default.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Folks, a reminder if you are going to mention fighters and potential fights based off a result of tonights event at the very least do so using spoiler tags..or better still just discuss it in the event thread. Few of you lately thinking its ok to just ramble in and post clear spoilers and ruin events for others the next day. 1 week ban for anyone that does so. Same applies obviously for any future events as per the thread title which people seem to ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭The White Feather

This may be more MMA humour but it actually happened so it is news

Some fella hired Bruce Buffer on Cameo to breakup with his girlfriend!!

https://twitter.com/FullContactMTWF/status/1338185782129913857?s=20

Yoel has found a new home in Bellator and at 205!
    https://mobile.twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1338522728798842883

• Advertisement

Cali_girl wrote: »
    Yoel has found a new home in Bellator and at 205!
    https://mobile.twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1338522728798842883

Corey Anderson must be fuming!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement