Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

US2 wrote: »
    Corey Anderson must be fuming!

Ha, never even thought of that. But Rumble vs Romero :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Cali_girl wrote: »
    Yoel has found a new home in Bellator and at 205!
    https://mobile.twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1338522728798842883

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Ferguson to be cut? Big John reckons so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭xtal191

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Ferguson to be cut? Big John reckons so.

He's on a big contract and is almost 37, not saying its the right decision but def wouldn't be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

I would doubt it. They really should give him another fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

I'm no Henry Cejudo fan in general, but this is pretty funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Henry is great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

https://twitter.com/danawhite/status/1341096578174517249?s=21

Unhinged Trump style attack video from Dana. Truly bonkers. Has a load of sound bites and newspaper clippings of journalists raising genuine concerns about hosting ufc events during a pandemic alongside random stats about how much the ufc profited while putting on said events.

There are actually a lot of positives from what the ufc has managed to do over the past few months but spinning it as some kind of altruistic act that had no risks associated for fighters is embarrassing. It’s sad that they’re leaning into trumpism so hard these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Easy Rod wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/danawhite/status/1341096578174517249?s=21

Unhinged Trump style attack video from Dana. Truly bonkers. Has a load of sound bites and newspaper clippings of journalists raising genuine concerns about hosting ufc events during a pandemic alongside random stats about how much the ufc profited while putting on said events.

There are actually a lot of positives from what the ufc has managed to do over the past few months but spinning it as some kind of altruistic act that had no risks associated for fighters is embarrassing. It’s sad that they’re leaning into trumpism so hard these days.

Well it's proven to have had no risk to fighters so hardly embarrassing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Only thing embarrassing is listening back to the media hysterics.

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Well it's proven to have had no risk to fighters so hardly embarrassing.

A few things - lots of fighters and cornermen (and probably UFC staff) caught COVID. Just because some didn’t or no one died doesn’t mean there wasn’t an inherent risk. I also was talking about the spinning of this by the UFC as a benovelent act that was all about putting food on fighters’ tables while simultaneously bragging about how much money the company made as being ‘embarrassing’.

As I said, a lot about of good things done by the ufc over past 9 months and as a fan I’ve enjoyed the product. But don’t throw out this rubbish, the ufc pushed for all these events to make money for their shareholders.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A few things - lots of fighters and cornermen (and probably UFC staff) caught COVID.
    Which fighters caught covid as a result of fighting on a UFC card?

I’m aware that fighters tested positive prior to fighting and were pulled. But that’s not the same thing. 75m people caught covid. Gonna be a few of every profession in there regardless.

Mellor wrote: »
    Which fighters caught covid as a result of fighting on a UFC card?

I’m aware that fighters tested positive prior to fighting and were pulled. But that’s not the same thing. 75m people caught covid. Goons be a few of every profession in there regardless.

Well if a fighter and a cornerman both tested positive I’d say odds are they got it while preparing for a fight together, no? It’s not really the point that I’m making though.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Well if a fighter and a cornerman both tested positive I’d say odds are they got it while preparing for a fight together, no? It’s not really the point that I’m making though.
    Sure, I’d assume they got it one from the other. But they would probably still have been training together whether the fight was on or not. In which case they’d still have ended up passing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Only thing embarrassing is people who look up to Dana as some sort of God and get offended and upset on his behalf when legit criticism of how he runs his shop is taken as a personal slight against the entire world of MMA.

Luke Thomas has an excellent breakdown of just how wrong Dana and the UFC are on all of this. One of the articles he was bitching about had nothing to do with coronavirus and was about fighter pay ffs.

https://twitter.com/jedigoodman/status/1341182967972937730?s=19

Watch this and read some of the replies. Jake Shields really distinguishes himself. MMA will never not have some of the dumbest fans on earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Well, I'd say Dana's pettiness here is far more embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

In more interesting news; 2020 is starting with a bang

The 3 main events for Fight Island are:

January 16th: Holloway vs Kattar
    January 20th: Edwards v Chimaev
    January 23rd: McGregor v Poirier

Some 7 days of entertainment there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Whelo79 wrote: »

Is this where Bobby Ewing is in the shower and '2020' was just a bad dream?

• Advertisement

Is this where Bobby Ewing is in the shower and '2020' was just a bad dream?

Haha, christ imagine having to live this year again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

First decent test for chameav. Expect max to handle kattar and conor will smoke Dustin. Good week of fights

Dean Barry is against Mike Jackson (of CM Punk fame) on January 20th. This should be the easiest money of Barry's life.

Easy money and a great chance to grab some attention with a spectacular KO. Anything else and he will get very little credit for getting the W.

Having seen Dean's grappling in person a few times and having watched proverbial tomato can fighting one weight class up from his division tiny tot Anthony Taylor take his back and strangle him with ease at 155, I reckon 6'2" Mike Jackson won't be too worried about telegraphed sidekicks.

Mike Jackson is about Dean Barry's level unless he's improve significantly in the last two years.

Another SBG 'super universal world kickboxing point karate association of the world" world champion kickboxer with a belt that you can buy on wish and hold events for in your parish hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭The White Feather

I assumed Mike Jackson was long gone from the UFC. It must have been in his contract for another fight?

Is Dean Barry like Greg Hardy on the ground? Surely Dean will KO him? I don't know, just asking!

I assumed Mike Jackson was long gone from the UFC. It must have been in his contract for another fight?

Is Dean Barry like Greg Hardy on the ground? Surely Dean will KO him? I don't know, just asking!

Dean was able to stuff a few of Taylor's tank dows because he was fresh being longer. Once it got to the ground he panicked and was lost.
    He's about as good on the ground as Cian.
    If not worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Showtime is the latest departure. If i was to guess I'd say he was on too good of a contract, and his recent performance levels don't match up to it in Dana's eyes. Pity. The game's passed him by a bit, but he's rarely in a fight that's nkt worth watching.

I really hope they don't go too far with this. Keep cutting the bigger names, and keep blowing smoke up all the guys from the contender series asses, so they can pay the fighters even less, but charge the same price for a PPV.

derfderf wrote: »
    Showtime is the latest departure. If i was to guess I'd say he was on too good of a contract, and his recent performance levels don't match up to it in Dana's eyes. Pity. The game's passed him by a bit, but he's rarely in a fight that's nkt worth watching.

I really hope they don't go too far with this. Keep cutting the bigger names, and keep blowing smoke up all the guys from the contender series asses, so they can pay the fighters even less, but charge the same price for a PPV.

Pretty much the UFC's business model right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Whelo79 wrote: »

The 3 main events for Fight Island are:

January 16th: Holloway vs Kattar
    January 20th: Edwards v Chimaev
    January 23rd: McGregor v Poirier

Some 7 days of entertainment there.

Don't tell me that we are going to relive 2020 again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

These are the only big name cuts I could see: Souza, Gustafsson, Maia, Lawler, Woodley, Stephens, Barboza, Edgar, Aldo,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement