Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I'd have a lot more respect (professionally) for mayweather if he has the balls to step in the octagon. He's legacy would be enhanced if anything

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Pimblett has clearly been told by the UFC that he’s a million miles away from them calling him up.

Basically saying on The MMA Hour that he has no interest in fighting for them in Liverpool and he’s going on holidays that day instead :pac:

A few months ago he wouldn’t stop talking about the UFC!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'd have a lot more respect (professionally) for mayweather if he has the balls to step in the octagon. He's legacy would be enhanced if anything

Why?

It makes no sense to me for him to do it.

He's 41 years old and will be fighting someone who should be a weight class or two above him, in MMA size difference terms.

If he did fight in the UFC would he be their oldest current fighter? He's older than DC, Belfort, and Maia

• Registered Users Posts: 39,271 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

CatFromHue wrote: »
    He's 41 years old and will be fighting someone who should be a weight class or two above him, in MMA size difference terms.
    You think he could make make 135?
    Depends on what his actual weight is, 150 and he might do it.
    If he did fight in the UFC would he be their oldest current fighter? He's older than DC, Belfort, and Maia

Mark Hunt is 3 years older. I think he is the oldest now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I dunno if he could but he usually doesn't cut much weight so on the day of the fight, an opponent from 135 or 145 would be closer to his weight than any opponent of his from the 155 division.

• Advertisement

Ryan Hall doesn't come across too well in this piece.
    He is basically refusing to fight unranked opponents, then complaining when ranked opponents refuse to fight his unranked self.

http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/22792592/ufc-ryan-hall-badly-wants-fight-again-explains-why-never-do-so

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

He has had two UFC fights, one against Lobov who has a negative record and another against Maynard who is 3-6 in his last 9. He comes across as absolutely delusional. He wants to be fast tracked in one of the deepest divisions in the UFC, with no argument as to why it should happen, other than he thinks hes good enough.

Django99 wrote: »
    He has had two UFC fights, one against Lobov who has a negative record and another against Maynard who is 3-6 in his last 9. He comes across as absolutely delusional. He wants to be fast tracked in one of the deepest divisions in the UFC, with no argument as to why it should happen, other than he thinks hes good enough.
    I don't think the depth of FW is an issue. There's about 60 fighters. And a lot of them are poor. He's definitely in the top half of the division, he needs at least one win before he gets near the top 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Paully D wrote: »
    Pimblett has clearly been told by the UFC that he’s a million miles away from them calling him up.

Basically saying on The MMA Hour that he has no interest in fighting for them in Liverpool and he’s going on holidays that day instead :pac:

A few months ago he wouldn’t stop talking about the UFC!

Yeah from the Helwani studio interview it was very, very obvious that the UFC don't seem terribly interested in him. I can see why they're not interested tbf. He looks like he piles on the weight between fights, he also said he's not fighting again until September, as he's got two big holidays coming up in Malta and Mexico. It's just bizarre to hear an "up and coming" fighter speak like that. It's a shame as I do like him, he's a great character but on the face of it you'd have to wonder how committed he really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Mellor wrote: »
    Django99 wrote: »
    I don't think the depth of FW is an issue. There's about 60 fighters. And a lot of them are poor. He's definitely in the top half of the division, he needs at least one win before he gets near the top 15.

Well on comparison to say, HW or FLW for exapmle where two wins could possibly warrant a ranked opponent i think FWs depth is somewhat relevant. He probably is in the top half but two decision wins against two lads that had zero momentum going into the fight aren't going to get him ranked opponent.

In the same division, Yair Rodriguez needed 6 wins including some flasky KOs, before they went too far amd gave him a fight against Edgar. I'd agree that another win and he could ask for one then, but right now because of inactivity he's basically irrelevant to the too 15.

• Advertisement

dulux99 wrote: »
    he also said he's not fighting again until September, as he's got two big holidays coming up in Malta and Mexico. It's just bizarre to hear an "up and coming" fighter speak like that. It's a shame as I do like him, he's a great character but on the face of it you'd have to wonder how committed he really is.
    I think he's a bit lost since Inbetweeners finished up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Inviere

The cynic in me kinda feels as if this was all agreed to over a year ago, as part of the initial negotiations for the boxing match. I wouldn't be surprised if they're eyeing a trilogy of some description. It could partly explain why Conor hasn't fought since too (same way Nate hasn't fought since Conor, keeping his stock high).

That said, I still feel Mayweather could be very dangerous in the octagon. All he'd need is one clean hit & it's lights out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Swanson Vs Edgar rematch in the works for April 21 Fight Night. https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/3/20/17144342/frankie-edgar-vs-cub-swanson-2-in-the-works-for-ufc-atlantic-city
    Bit of a weird fight I think. Frankie must be raring to get back in there after getting KO'd for the first time but I'm happy Cub got the deal he wanted anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Edgar vs Cub is a rematch I don't think anyone was calling for. From memory I don't seem to remember Cub winning a single exchange in that fight, he was dominated in every round and eventually got finished.

Then again Edgar is vulnerable - id hate to see this be the type of scenario where he's rushing back from a KO only to be KO'd again, as we've all seen plenty of times. It's a slippery slope from there.

Inviere wrote: »
    The cynic in me kinda feels as if this was all agreed to over a year ago, as part of the initial negotiations for the boxing match. I wouldn't be surprised if they're eyeing a trilogy of some description. It could partly explain why Conor hasn't fought since too (same way Nate hasn't fought since Conor, keeping his stock high).

That said, I still feel Mayweather could be very dangerous in the octagon. All he'd need is one clean hit & it's lights out.

I always said in the boxing match Floyd carried Conor to late in the fight to make that fight look competitive. On the other hand I do believe if Conor doesn't finish floyd within a minute or two he is also carrying Floyd and this whole debacle is nothing more than WWE bs. Conor could kick Floyds legs out, kick him with a spinning head kick, take him down and mount him, sub him in any fashion he wishes................ its a stupid fight. (I will watch it though) :o

Paul Craig has gotten a new four fight contract. He was very likely 10 seconds from getting cut and instead he locked in the choke, got an extra €50k and a new deal! I'm happy for him he seems like a good guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭dashoonage

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/976846521726656512

This cant be true....wtf is wrong with Woodly....jesus wept

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

dashoonage wrote: »

??? This looks to be a slap in Woodley's face. He can fight in summer but they're making another belt without him for some reason.

??? This looks to be a slap in Woodley's face. He can fight in summer but they're making another belt without him for some reason.

Thats what im saying...why do we need a fecking interm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

dashoonage wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/976846521726656512

Woodley is still rehabbing his shoulder.

This is just typical UFC idiocy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Pretty stupid alright, Woodley was one of the most active champs when fit

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Hope RDA wrecks Colvington though

Actually looking at it there i thought it was NOV when he last fought but it was July last year. So if he cant answer the call to fight again this July its a year out which is probably ok for them to do an interim.

He postponed Surgery because they kept stringing him along with talk of fights with Conor, Nate and GSP, when they finally stopped playing silly buggers he had the surgery in the early new year and has been rehabbing full-time since.

So in the last year'ish, there's been an interim belt at 205, 185, 170, 155, 145.

So in the last year'ish, there's been an interim belt at 205, 185, 170, 155, 145.

Might as well rebrand to the Interim Fighting Championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,800 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

On top of that, Gus is saying he deserves a shot at the interim belt next...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

cliggg wrote: »
    Paul Craig has gotten a new four fight contract. He was very likely 10 seconds from getting cut and instead he locked in the choke, got an extra €50k and a new deal! I'm happy for him he seems like a good guy.

Didn't realise he got performance of the night. Bit of a mockery of the thing to be honest. He was losing comprehensively.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    On top of that, Gus is saying he deserves a shot at the interim belt next...

Idiot. He does deserve a shot at DC though, he's the only one near his leavel. His fights with him and Jones were good competitive fights, I thought he beat Jones even.

• Advertisement

Didn't realise he got performance of the night. Bit of a mockery of the thing to be honest. He was losing comprehensively.

Well it's more submission of the night really. I don't know why they changed the terms when they still give out bonuses to the best fight, ko and submission. I guess performance of the night sounds less alienating to the casual fan than knockout of the night??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement