Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

I read an interview with Woodley a few weeks ago, he said he has one last round of PRP injections at the end of April then he will start training properly again. He's probably targeting fight week for his return

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

They'd be better off having more weight classes with legit champs than having interm belts all the time. Cheapens the promotion imo.

I'd love to see them bump everyone up 10 lbs with sensible hydration tests for everyone to reduce drastic water cutting.

205+

• Registered Users Posts: 39,271 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Didn't realise he got performance of the night. Bit of a mockery of the thing to be honest. He was losing comprehensively.

Performance of the night doesn't imply a dominant performance though. It used to be KO/Sub of the night. He was losing comprehensively but that triangle was one of the best I've seen in recent years. No problem with him getting a bonus for that slick sub.

According to Ariel and this guy https://twitter.com/CTaylor_96 it's looking like Till v Thompson is headlining the Liverpool event & Ponzinibbio v Magny is headlining the Chile event. Very interesting fights especially Thompson-Till.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Mellor wrote: »
    Didn't realise he got performance of the night. Bit of a mockery of the thing to be honest. He was losing comprehensively.

Performance of the night doesn't imply a dominant performance though. It used to be KO/Sub of the night. He was losing comprehensively but that triangle was one of the best I've seen in recent years. No problem with him getting a bonus for that slick sub.
    In the absence of a formal definition (if one exists, I'm happy to be corrected), I interpret "performance of the night" to imply a complete performance as a mixed martial artist, not pulling it out of the bag with a last minute sub or KO, no matter how brilliant or timely it was.
    As you've said, it used to be KO/sub of the night, which it absolutely would have deserved, particularly because of the adversity? Performance though? Not for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I remember in a interview in around 2014, McGregor was saying that he doesn't ever want to win a fight of the night bonus, because it means it was a close fought war, he said they should bring in s performance of the night bonus. About a month later Dana brought in performance of the night bonus.. is that right?

I remember in a interview in around 2014, McGregor was saying that he doesn't ever want to win a fight of the night bonus, because it means it was a close fought war, he said they should bring in s performance of the night bonus. About a month later Dana brought in performance of the night bonus.. is that right?

Fight of the night different, and is still awarded - it implies a competitive scrap.

Performance of the night replaced KO/sub of the night (which McGregor was famously happy to pick up against Brimage).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Dana has come out to say TJ vs DJ isn't happening. I'm delighted. Too many good fighters at 135 for me, and I never had an interest in seeing a skeletor version of TJ kill himself to get to 125. Infact nothing at 125 will ever interest me I feel.

Fight of the night different, and is still awarded - it implies a competitive scrap.

Performance of the night replaced KO/sub of the night (which McGregor was famously happy to pick up against Brimage).
    Yeah but it really was only ever a name change to make it sound more media friendly. A good recent example would be Justin Gaethje, when he beat Michael Johnson he got 2 performance bonuses. Him and Michael got one for the fight of the night & Justin got another one for the knockout.

dulux99 wrote: »
    Dana has come out to say TJ vs DJ isn't happening. I'm delighted. Too many good fighters at 135 for me, and I never had an interest in seeing a skeletor version of TJ kill himself to get to 125. Infact nothing at 125 will ever interest me I feel.
    My theory is that it's just Dana being Dana. I'd say DJ is holding out for more money so Dana is trying to force his hand. Like he did with Khabib-Alvarez-McGregor.

• Advertisement

cliggg wrote: »
    My theory is that it's just Dana being Dana. I'd say DJ is holding out for more money so Dana is trying to force his hand. Like he did with Khabib-Alvarez-McGregor.

Yeah that's possible, I even kind of winced at myself typing the words "Dana said"....

But still, he's saying something I'm all for, so I was happy to hear it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

KO of night was done away with prior to Fox getting on board. KO of night isn't exactly a term to entice an average sports package buyer that it isn't stand and bang bro. Fighters often complained about putting on a show and despite no submission on the card which happened numerous times UFC didn't pay them instead kept money in their pocket.

KO of night was done away with prior to Fox getting on board. KO of night isn't exactly a term to entice an average sports package buyer that it isn't stand and bang bro. Fighters often complained about putting on a show and despite no submission on the card which happened numerous times UFC didn't pay them instead kept money in their pocket.

KO of the night was still going long after they first partnered with Fox.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

KO of the night was still going long after they first partnered with Fox.

Oh much longer? thought it was one of the reasons it ceased could been from Danas gob though.

If I remember correctly they simply rebranded the KO of the night and sub of the night in order to avoid the situations whereby there might not have been any KOs OR Subs on a particular night. Basically it rewards the two best finishes of the night. A better system than KO and Sub of the night imo.

Oh much longer? thought it was one of the reasons it ceased could been from Danas gob though.

Think it changed beginning of 2014 and the Fox deal in place since 2011. Definitely remember TRTor getting out for head kicking Henderson.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,851 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Lukker- wrote: »
    Hope RDA wrecks Colvington though

rda about as bad a match up for cc as there is :D
    can't see past rda here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

mailburner wrote: »
    rda about as bad a match up for cc as there is :D
    can't see past rda here.

RDA has struggled against wrestlers smaller than Covington. It won't be one sided. I'd prefer see Till absolutely murder him to be honest.

RDA has struggled against wrestlers smaller than Covington. It won't be one sided. I'd prefer see Till absolutely murder him to be honest.

so would I
    outside of maia cc hasn't beaten anyone of note and I think he'll be exposed as a pretty ordinary fighter here when he can't take rda down.

Looks like the till hypetrain is about to be derailed. 1 win over a journey man and he's the second coming of Christ. Thompson wins a handy decision for me

• Advertisement

Looks like the till hypetrain is about to be derailed. 1 win over a journey man and he's the second coming of Christ. Thompson wins a handy decision for me

Maybe you're right and gun to my head I'd pick Wonderboy too, but the UFC get enough stick sometimes for "protecting" potential stars, so they really can't win sometimes. It's a huge step up in competition but it's a step up that Till wants, so fair play. Also, imaging Till sparks Wonderboy in Liverpool. Till immediately becomes the hottest name in MMA I reckon.

dulux99 wrote: »

Maybe you're right and gun to my head I'd pick Wonderboy too, but the UFC get enough stick sometimes for "protecting" potential stars, so they really can't win sometimes. It's a huge step up in competition but it's a step up that Till wants, so fair play. Also, imaging Till sparks Wonderboy in Liverpool. Till immediately becomes the hottest name in MMA I reckon.
    The thing I like about MMA is there isn't much "protecting" . Usually you go up a level after every victory, I just think this is too much too soon for till. He has one good win over cowboy, a fella known for having regular "off nights" . Thompson is the best striker in all of MMA and till will probably keep it standing. It would be special if he could do it, in Liverpool, can't see it happening though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭finglashoop

The thing I like about MMA is there isn't much "protecting" . Usually you go up a level after every victory, I just think this is too much too soon for till. He has one good win over cowboy, a fella known for having regular "off nights" . Thompson is the best striker in all of MMA and till will probably keep it standing. It would be special if he could do it, in Liverpool, can't see it happening though

Is thompson the best striker in mma? He barely laid a glove on woodley in 50 mins.

I like till and I hope he is the real deal as the sport badly needs a superstar.

he seemed over confident against cerrone and backed it up, we'll see if he's as confident this time.
    Will he just be to walk wonderboy down just like he did cerrone?
    it's a tall order no doubt but I think he might.

Is thompson the best striker in mma? He barely laid a glove on woodley in 50 mins.
    Honestly, can't think of a better striker? He was very timid against Woodley alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Are many of you lads going to try and head over for this (Liverpool)?

Flights are available for buttons and I snapped up a hotel before the prices went crazy, but in terms of tickets, the arena only holds 11,000 so I reckon they’ll be extremely difficult to get.

Fight Club pre-sale code probably a must here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Might head over for it. Thought my fight club membership was still active but seems it has expired. I think I'd actually rather have seen till in with Gunnar or ponzinibbio. Wonderboy obviously the bigger name but it could be a bit of a chess match as a lot of his fights are.

What time will the main card likely start at? Champions league final on that day too.

Edit - didn't realise it was on the Sunday, makes it slightly less appealing having to take the Monday off work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Gonna head over for it. Booked hotel. Can't beat a homecoming

Paully D wrote: »
    Are many of you lads going to try and head over for this (Liverpool)?

Flights are available for buttons and I snapped up a hotel before the prices went crazy, but in terms of tickets, the arena only holds 11,000 so I reckon they’ll be extremely difficult to get.

Fight Club pre-sale code probably a must here?

I'm going too, fight club presale is definitely a must, non negotiable. Flights are for nothing considering most people will go Saturday to Monday, which will always be cheaper. Bit of a no brainer really!

• Advertisement

any hotels you guys would recommend?

never been to a ufc outside of this country but seriously thinking about it
    If I can get a ticket I'll definitely go though

flights from knock dirt cheap also

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement