Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Of anyone who could step up, you'd think max has the least chance of winning? I just don't see how he can win.

Hope he does though, he has both McGregors belts then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭XsApollo

The best thing that can happen is Holloway wins.
    Mcregor has no way out then.
    2 fights for each belt would be sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ChrisM

My first thought when I heard the news was why aren't the likes of Lee, Vick, Alvarez, Gaethje screaming that it should have been one of them who gets a shot at the belt.

Then it clicked.

Holloway will land clean punches but Khabib will march through them and squish him.

Some balls on him to step up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

callaway92 wrote: »
    dave1982 wrote: »
    McGregor is a disgrace

Not sure how you can say this for this case of all things. 5 days notice against Khabib when he isn’t even in a camp for a fight. That would’ve been complete madness.

Holloway is just a robot bit in a very different situation to McGregor. Nothing to lose etc
    Actually he has,he's on a great fight winning streak.

Is tony Ferguson the first ever interim champ to be stripped? And is this the first ever title fight where neither fighter holds a belt of any kind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

DC-Rumble, Holm-Cyborg were for "vacant" belts.

DC-Rumble, Holm-Cyborg were for "vacant" belts.

Never even thought of them. This situation is still different though. There was a champion and an interim champion 24 hours ago now there's no champ atall. Will max be stripped of 145 too seen as McGregor was

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Never even thought of them. This situation is still different though. There was a champion and an interim champion 24 hours ago now there's no champ atall. Will max be stripped of 145 too seen as McGregor was

Unlikely I'd say. The Ortega fight at 145 HAS to happen.

Unlikely I'd say. The Ortega fight at 145 HAS to happen.

I hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,695 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Actually he has,he's on a great fight winning streak.

Nah, this match is canon to that pretty much. His name is gonna be even bigger because of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

dulux99 wrote: »
    No. That's just not the case. He'd spend the week alone cutting to 155, he wouldn't even have time to do any pre fight press. Anyone who thinks McGregor was a legitimate option to replace Ferguson just doesn't understand the fight game.

Wasn’t he only waffling 2/3 months ago about wanting to step in for Max vs Frankie?? Can’t see Max winning it, but if he does and makes it to 2 weeks without getting stripped he’ll be the longest serving Champ Champ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

i just read about ferguson:eek: absolutely gutted. this fight was going to be insane.

some balls on halloway stepping up but imvho while max is awesome i would be surprised it he survives the full 5 against khabib.

a part of me is still hoping its all a massive Aprils fools day prank...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Max will get destroyed, I'm thinking pitbull with a ragdoll ....which is a shame

• Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Can't believe this news.

Oh no hang on, I totally can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Fair play to holloway. How big is his cut to 145 usually?

Fair play to holloway. How big is his cut to 145 usually?

15-20lbs but this is at 155 so only about 10lbs, just a water cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

ChrisM wrote: »
    My first thought when I heard the news was why aren't the likes of Lee, Vick, Alvarez, Gaethje screaming that it should have been one of them who gets a shot at the belt.

Then it clicked.

Holloway will land clean punches but Khabib will march through them and squish him.

Some balls on him to step up though.

Lee just had a shot.
    Vick is ranked 10 and has no big wins.
    Gaethje just lost on his debut.

Poirier and Alvarez would be the two I'd give a call to.
    Taking on Khabib on 6 days notice is close to career suicide though.

If Max had a full camp and was prepared then if he could keep it standing (which is a big if) he would take Khabib apart on the feet.

As it stands it would be a Herculean effort to beat him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Gutted the fight is off but this will be damn interesting if Holloway wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

The Nal wrote: »
    15-20lbs but this is at 155 so only about 10lbs, just a water cut.

Surely he is lighter than that. Looks to be about 155 in fights. Nowhere near 165.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭selassie

https://vimeo.com/206672563

ironic that the promo's name is Khabib vs. Ferguson: How Long Must I Wait... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

This isnt actually happening lads is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

I personally think Ferguson is overrated anyway and khabib would maul him.

Fair play to blessed. Arguably his streak is already more impressive than mctapper. It he beats khabib mcgregor should retire and forget about coming back. I don't think he has the heart for it anymore. Why didn't he stay ready?

Surely he is lighter than that. Looks to be about 155 in fights. Nowhere near 165.

Hes about 165 now and he'll cut to 155 for the weigh in and then back to 165 for the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Fair play to blessed. Arguably his streak is already more impressive than mctapper. It he beats khabib mcgregor should retire and forget about coming back. I don't think he has the heart for it anymore. Why didn't he stay ready?

Id say mcgregor is hoping for a holloway win.

Hes clearly avoiding khabib. All his be ready stay ready blah blah blah.

As the champ he should be on standby if an interim fight is about to happen.

Anyways was holoway in camp in case someone pulled out? Ir was he booked for a fight later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Lot of people saying Max is way smaller but he's taller than Khabib and a hefty fw. I don't think he makes fw much longer seeing recent pics of him. I'd love to know what weight he's at now to see if he needs a small weight cut or not. I know Khabib is a hefty LW but it won't be the mismatch like people are saying. He's a way better fighter than Tony so I'm even more excited now. I was interested to see how Tony worked the bottom game but now more interested to see how Max keeps it standing.

Like petesey Carroll said, they better give him his Hawai card after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Why do you think Ferguson is overrated?

Also do you have those screen caps were McGregor refused the fight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Naos wrote: »

Also do you have those screen caps were McGregor refused the fight?

If Conor genuinely wanted the fight he would be in it. No way would Dana refuse him. Dana would be sucking him off in interviews saying how brave he is for stepping up on a week's notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    If Conor genuinely wanted the fight he would be in it. No way would Dana refuse him. Dana would be sucking him off in interviews saying how brave he is for stepping up on a week's notice.

You are so wrong. I can't understand how people who follow the sport don't understand the concept of this. Dana White's head would be on a spike with WME if he wasted McGregors comeback fight on 6 days notice in Brooklyn where the tickets are $130. How is this not registering with people? It's like selling a brand new 181 BMW for ten grand. It makes no sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

My only surprise is that this fight collapsed so far from the event, I would have put my money on Thursday/Friday. Anyway, with that disappointment out of the way, it's an intriguing one with Max stepping in.

I am surprised at all the McG talk in here, no way on earth would they waste his pulling power with 6 days notice. That would be simply throwing money away and they need every penny they can get the way things are going since the takeover.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement