Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

dulux99 wrote: »
    You are so wrong. I can't understand how people who follow the sport don't understand the concept of this. Dana White's head would be on a spike with WME if he wasted McGregors comeback fight on 6 days notice in Brooklyn where the tickets are $130. How is this not registering with people? It's like selling a brand new 181 BMW for ten grand. It makes no sense.

But but but McGayer McTapper should stay ready 365 days a year to step in for anyone anytime anywhere.

He is so scared of everyone and isn't a real champion till he defends his belt.

What a bloody coward, wouldnt even take the shot vs Stipe when it was offered to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

You are so wrong. I can't understand how people who follow the sport don't understand the concept of this. Dana White's head would be on a spike with WME if he wasted McGregors comeback fight on 6 days notice in Brooklyn where the tickets are $130. How is this not registering with people? It's like selling a brand new 181 BMW for ten grand. It makes no sense.

The anti-fanboys are every bit as ridiculous as the fanboys they mock......let them get on with 'liking' each others posts , it's all worthless drivel at the end of the day ....all of it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Even when it’s explained as plainly as this, they won’t understand. You’re actually wasting your time trying to make them see actual logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Inviere

sonofenoch wrote: »
    The anti-fanboys are every bit as ridiculous as the fanboys they mock

Arguably worse imo. Surely there's better things to be doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Guys, you are deluded if you think mcgregor needs anymore than a week to sell a fight. His retirement tweet was one of the biggest tweets of all time.

Everyone is dripping for his comeback, if he tweeted saying he is fighting the Russian bear next week you can guarantee it would be one of the biggest PPVs. Ticketmaster do dynamic ticket pricing, once demand increases the price of tickets increases.

McGregor is training hard since xmas. So much so he offered to replace a fighter on two weeks notice. Now he refused to defend his belt again against khabib. Don't believe Dana's lies. Be honest. If the interim lightweight contender pulls out of his defence, mcgregor should have been itching to jump in and defend the full belt. Instead they've got a blown up featherweight to jump up. Mctapper walks around at 165. All he needs to cut is water weight. Easily done.

Promotion media days etc is overblown these days. The only thing these guys need is a instagram and twitter account.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Guys, you are deluded if you think mcgregor needs anymore than a week to sell a fight. His retirement tweet was one of the biggest tweets of all time.

Everyone is dripping for his comeback, if he tweeted saying he is fighting the Russian bear next week you can guarantee it would be one of the biggest PPVs. Ticketmaster do dynamic ticket pricing, once demand increases the price of tickets increases.

Promotion media days etc is overblown these days. The only thing these guys need is a instagram and twitter account.

The tickets are already sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

McGregor is training hard since xmas. So much so he offered to replace a fighter on two weeks notice. Now he refused to defend his belt again against khabib. Don't believe Dana's lies. Be honest. If the interim lightweight contender pulls out of his defence, mcgregor should have been itching to jump in and defend the full belt. Instead they've got a blown up featherweight to jump up. Mctapper walks around at 165. All he needs to cut is water weight. Easily done.

:confused:

Oh dear.

Tickets already sold at lower prices, undercard already announced - an undercard that would be wildly different on a McG fight night - sponsors, TV ads, promotors, merch etc locked in on much lower money.

Why would Dana and Conor throw away tens of millions?!!

Genuinely baffled here.....

Apart from the fact that McGregor is apparently injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I think this works in Conor's favour in terms of next opponent. He has thrown attention and shade at both Khabib and Max recently but very little at Tony. now he's almost guaranteed one of them and Tony is out of the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Why is everyone on here so obsessed with the idea of "tickets are already sold at the lower price"?

Even if you add an extra $100 to the prices for a McGregor fight then you add around $2m to the gate. It's the ppvs where the real money is made.

Approx $80-100 to buy it.
    I'm sure Khabib v Tony/Max could do close to 1m so thats $80-100m in ppvs.

Conor even on a week's notice could easily up that to 1.5m buys so you're talking an extra $50m?

What's the obsession with ticket prices?

Also the whole "from a business point of view" argument is irritating. Sure they are looking after their prize asset etc. etc. But we are MMA fans so at the end of the day what do we care about their generated revenue? We just want to see the best fights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The Nal wrote: »

Oh dear.

Tickets already sold at lower prices, undercard already announced - an undercard that would be wildly different on a McG fight night - sponsors, TV ads, promotors, merch etc locked in on much lower money.

Mcgregor injured ? where did you hear that ?

Holloway is some ****ing animal stepping up on 6 days notice to take on arguably the best fighter in the world in Khabib. If he can keep it standing for the majority of the fight and take Khabib into the championship rounds he has more than a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Also the whole "from a business point of view" argument is irritating. Sure they are looking after their prize asset etc. etc. But we are MMA fans so at the end of the day what do we care about their generated revenue? We just want to see the best fights.

It's not an argument. It's a factual explanation as to why it's Holloway vs Khabib and not McGregor vs Khabib. I am an MMA fan and of course I want to see Khabib vs Conor, but as a logical adult I can't berate the UFC for not putting it together in this instance, as it just makes zero sense for anyone involved. It's childish to ignore this and mindlessly call McGregor a pussy or whatever you want to call him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Porthallian

It's not an argument. It's a factual explanation as to why it's Holloway vs Khabib and not McGregor vs Khabib. I am an MMA fan and of course I want to see Khabib vs Conor, but as a logical adult I can't berate the UFC for not putting it together in this instance, as it just makes zero sense for anyone involved. It's childish to ignore this and mindlessly call McGregor a pussy or whatever you want to call him.

Did i call anyone a pussy?
    Stop being stupid and calling people childish.

Also how does it make zero sense for anyone involved?

The fight makes sense for fans, for Khabib, for Conor... The only people it doesn't make sense for is the company.
    Which was the point I was making. I understand that it's a logical and factual argument to say that it makes no monetary sense for the ufc.
    But my point is that we as fans shouldn't obsess over that and just wish to see the best fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

The Nal wrote: »

Oh dear.

Why is everyone on here so obsessed with the idea of "tickets are already sold at the lower price"?

Even if you add an extra $100 to the prices for a McGregor fight then you add around $2m to the gate. It's the ppvs where the real money is made.

Approx $80-100 to buy it.
    I'm sure Khabib v Tony/Max could do close to 1m so thats $80-100m in ppvs.

Conor even on a week's notice could easily up that to 1.5m buys so you're talking an extra $50m?

What's the obsession with ticket prices?

It's not "just" the tickets sales. As The Nal pointed out above, it's everything that goes with it. Yes McG would generate huge PPV, but how much of that would go straight to McG? The marketing and sponsorship deals are all well locked in place based on the expected "footfall" of the existing card. If McG stepped in, every business and advertiser involved would be creaming themselves at the deal they got. Dana on the other hand, would be shot*

Anyway, I don't think anybody here cares about the business side of things, we just know McG was never stepping in based on these facts.

*possibly no bad thing

Inviere wrote: »
    Arguably worse imo. Surely there's better things to be doing?

Follow him around twitter like teenage girls looking for a gripe.....I would be what's called a 'fanboy" but I've never once seen what he does on twitter, not once! save from what gets posted on these message boards

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Max said a few days ago that he won’t be able be train for the entire summer.

Props to Max, but he knows he can’t win in his current state. He must be getting a good slice of the PPV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Inviere

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Follow him around twitter like teenage girls looking for a gripe.....I would be what's called a 'fanboy" but I've never once seen what he does on twitter, not once! save from what gets posted on these message boards

Indeed. Personally I feel half of them are closet fans, there's no other explanation as to why people obsess about someone they profess to dislike so much. He has his fans, fine, he has his detractors, fine...no different to any other sports figure in that regard. I don't see a lot of the embarrassing fanboyism of McGregor here on Boards (that muck exists on other platforms, far away from me thankfully), even the most die hard fans of his will often look at both sides of whatever discussion point is relevant - which is commendable, and makes interesting and easy reading.

The obsessional people though, who jump for joy at the chance to berate him at any and every opportunity that crops up, sad and painful stuff. I could never imagine devoting so much time and effort to constantly and tirelessly berating someone in the public eye...and if I did, I think it'd say more about me than anything else. These threads are unreadable without the ignore list feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Lukker- wrote: »
    Max said a few days ago that he won’t be able be train for the entire summer.

Props to Max, but he knows he can’t win in his current state. He must be getting a good slice of the PPV.

He better be getting a nice brown envelope for this, absolute legend.

Interesting poll, I'm more looking forward to max Khabib now myself.
    https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/980790456576626690?s=19

Also, great lineup on the MMA hour today. As well as the below, Tony and Max's manager will be calling in also.

Will be skipping Joanna's "it was a fluke, I am the best, you know this".

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/980503064791699456?s=19

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Lads would ye ever grow up - this is a news thread discussing the fight, the injury to Ferguson and Holloway stepping in. Enough of the McGregor fanboys/not a fanboys nonsense, its been done to death in the McGregor thread. Same with calling fighters and other posters names, some of ye really need to start acting your age. Give it a rest.

Ferguson on todays MMA hour

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Anyone expecting Mcgregor to step in for ufc 223 is crazy and doesn’t understand the workings of a fight camp for top level combat. Max more or less had a full camp before he got injured, it must not have been a bad injury just badly timed, so he is more or less ready for this battle. Conor has been partying a lot since August, a few bits and pieces of training since jan just won’t cut it. Doesn’t matter if he tweets ‘Stay ready’, this is just social media bravado/business talk. I want to see Conor back but I want the full build up to it. It sucks he got sidetracked with the mega money/mayweather factor. Main reason he was so likeable was he fought so often, won so much and has that crazy entertaining personality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Whatever about Max, he's the champ at 145 and has a history with CMcG, how could they justify given Ortega a shot at lightweight. Would have been ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

No event thread yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Ortega vs. Khabib would’ve been so fecking interesting. World class top control vs. world class bottom game, don’t think Khabib has ever faced somebody as dangerous as T-City is on the ground. Now we just have a hugely uncompetitive fight, if Max had power it’d be intriguing but volume isn’t going to stop that Russian bear coming forward and mauling you.

Ortega vs Khabib is the fight I never knew I wanted

Max’s manager requesting the fight at 170 should tell you what type of shape he’s currently in...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

.ak wrote: »
    No event thread yet?

Feel free to set one up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Dana basically reiterating what was said here regarding McGregor.

Business 101.

https://youtu.be/x6qT_7YwEyU

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Dana basically reiterating what was said here regarding McGregor.

Business 101.

https://youtu.be/x6qT_7YwEyU

Lol, Conor has expressed an interest in fighting in September :pac::pac:

Can't be arsed with the guy now, he's not a fighter anymore

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement