Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

To the guys who are accomplished MMA fighters im just curious:

Would you use your skills on someone that you really didnt like be it a co worker, neighbour whoever, if you would 100% get away with it? Just hypothetical no cops would arrest you and your life would not be affected would you beat the absolute fcuk out of them for fun?
    At the end of the day it must be a hard skill to keep contained, you literally could torture or kill someone with extreme ease!
    Seriously WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Absolutely not! And I would be pretty confident in saying that would go for 99% of trained MMA fighters. You are thought from the beginning to respect the art. Beating the **** out of people for fun would not be tolerated, and anyone with that sort of attitude is generally weeded out of a gym pretty quickly.

A lot of people like that are weeded out fast.
    But sadly not all of them. The idea that martial arts is the noble path of the pacifist is Hollywood stuff. There's also a lot of scumbags who like a shine to it (like any sport). There's been some real pieces of shït who also happened to be gifted fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

That's why I asked the question, I was curious to see if respect for the art is ingrained from the off and it seems to be the case that it is, but like all sports you always get some bad apples.
    It must be tough though to keep it contained. If you could beat someone to death in the blink of an eye, that's a very powerful skill to have, how does it feel to wield that power?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

That's why I asked the question, I was curious to see if respect for the art is ingrained from the off and it seems to be the case that it is, but like all sports you always get some bad apples.
    It must be tough though to keep it contained. If you could beat someone to death in the blink of an eye, that's a very powerful skill to have, how does it feel to wield that power?

Are you actually being genuine asking ridiculous stuff like that?
    Most trained guys would have more control than the average Joe, due to actual training and knowing what to do in certain situations.

Yes you'll have **** who will get in fights knowing they have the skills to beat the **** out of someone, but that's true of a lot of combat sports, not just MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

It must be tough though to keep it contained. If you could beat someone to death in the blink of an eye
    Why would it be tough to contain?

Are you walking round with a burning desire to beat somebody to death?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Why would it be tough to contain?

Are you walking round with a burning desire to beat somebody to death?

That was my prevailing thought on the strangeness of the question.

*Pictures Mellor casually walking past Sydney Opera House and flying triangle-ing someone just because he can*

*Pictures Mellor casually walking past Sydney Opera House and flying triangle-ing someone just because he can*

Seems reasonable, I don't consider it a successful morning in work unless I've d'arced 4 people before 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Why would it be tough to contain not wanting to hurt an innocent bystander? That makes no sense. Just because somebody has the ability to cause harm Dosent mean they want to.
    If you had a knife in your pocket and went for a walk you’d have the ability to stab people easily. Do you struggle with the urge not to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

It's about was difficult as controlling the desire the run over a pedestrian when driving my car. Your question/assumption is ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I must have come across wrong in my question, apologies.

I mean, if you are trained to such a high level like that, and you come across situations where you would LIKE to use them, example someone broke into your house, or you found out someone was badmouthing you, is it that bit harder not to unleash your skills than the average Joe Soap who might just be thinking "What a dcik, id like to smash that face in"?

And no, of course, just because you have a knife etc doesn't mean you will use it. I know that.

• Advertisement

I must have come across wrong in my question, apologies.

I mean, if you are trained to such a high level like that, and you come across situations where you would LIKE to use them, example someone broke into your house, or you found out someone was badmouthing you, is it that bit harder not to unleash your skills than the average Joe Soap who might just be thinking "What a dcik, id like to smash that face in"?

And no, of course, just because you have a knife etc doesn't mean you will use it. I know that.

They're two massively different examples.
    If someone broke in and attacked me I'd defend myself yes, otherwise they'd be restrained til the Garda got there.
    If I kicked someone around for bad mouthing me, I have bigger issues and need to grow some thicker skin.

What in your mind makes someone "highly trained" as you put it, any different to a normal Joe soap when getting abuse thrown at them or not liking someone.

You'll find that most people who do BJJ, Muay Thai, MMA etc do it as a hobby or a career, not just to learn how to beat people up whenever the mood takes them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

so DC wants to defend his lhw belt once more after he fights stipe. so lets say he beats stipe which isnt beyond the realm of possibility. so then he holds 2 belts and drops down for a last fight at LHW against god knows who and then retires and vacates possibly 2 belts that leaves the ufc with no lhw or hw champ.

what happens then do they give the belt back to stipe? does he fight for it? i personally think DC vs Stipe will be a great fight that could go either way but it pissed me off when GSP won the title of bisping and then vacated it would hate to see the same happen to stipe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Anyone see the recent pics(few weeks old) of Rumble Johnson,guy is even more scary.
    https://www.mmamania.com/2018/3/26/17164276/video-anthony-rumble-johnson-now-lifting-weights-hes-huge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    so DC wants to defend his lhw belt once more after he fights stipe. so lets say he beats stipe which isnt beyond the realm of possibility. so then he holds 2 belts and drops down for a last fight at LHW against god knows who and then retires and vacates possibly 2 belts that leaves the ufc with no lhw or hw champ.

what happens then do they give the belt back to stipe? does he fight for it? i personally think DC vs Stipe will be a great fight that could go either way but it pissed me off when GSP won the title of bisping and then vacated it would hate to see the same happen to stipe

Brock fights Stipe for the heavyweight title, Dana would love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Anyone see the recent pics(few weeks old) of Rumble Johnson,guy is even more scary.
    https://www.mmamania.com/2018/3/26/17164276/video-anthony-rumble-johnson-now-lifting-weights-hes-huge

Making use of not being tested. Those traps are juicy af

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

He looks like he's getting ready to come back at HW.

He was as big as a house a few months ago, and I don't mean swole.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭miocicmma

Poirier said on The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani tonight that he spoke with Javier Mendez in Glendale and Mendez said Khabib wants to fight him next.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,798 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Lukker- wrote: »
    Making use of not being tested. Those traps are juicy af

Yeah. What a loser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Rogan had Gustafson on his show last night. Doesn't look like he is going to fight again until it's Jones or DC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

He should fight Volkan for a juicy interim belt (all the cool kids have one) and then DC can't do anything but face him. Seems a bit mad to jump right in to face DC when he hasn't fought since May 2017.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Rogan had Gustafson on his show last night. Doesn't look like he is going to fight again until it's Jones or DC

In fairness Joe was pretty much putting words in his mouth there.

Gustafson said he wants meaningful fights, he most certainly didn’t limit himself to those two or even suggest anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Really enjoyed the Gustafsson podcast, love that guy.

DC vs. Volkan showed the gulf between the top guys and it's still

Jones
    -
    DC
    -
    Gus

What Gus did say was he has to look ahead of him and not behind so I reckon in his head it's DC, Jones or bust. He gains nothing from fighting some lad below him IMO particularly after how he demolished Teixera

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I think he was implying he would fight someone below him (Volkan) if he was well compensated for it, or if it was a big fight. Is Rockhold still talking about moving up to LHW? Would be a good match-up but Gus would probably KO him.

John_D80 wrote: »
    In fairness Joe was pretty much putting words in his mouth there.

Gustafson said he wants meaningful fights, he most certainly didn’t limit himself to those two or even suggest anything like that.

I know everyone likes to hate on Joe but come on man, early enough in the chat he says he is ranked number 1 and he doesn't see the point in looking below him, only above him. Gold or Jones was basically what he said. And he'd prefer to beat Jones than win a belt

Near the end of it when he wouldn't answer if he would fight someone other than Jones or DC, Joe tried to get him to say he'd fight someone else. Gus made it very clear hell only fight Jones or DC or for a belt if there not fighting

I think he was implying he would fight someone below him (Volkan) if he was well compensated for it, or if it was a big fight. Is Rockhold still talking about moving up to LHW? Would be a good match-up but Gus would probably KO him.

Gus would wreck him. Rockhold struggles with anyone who has decent boxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Would love to see Gus rip Rockhold's head off but if you're Rockhold and took a look up at LHW you'd think he'd fancy his chances against anyone outside of the big 3 and how many of those three will be around to fight in 6-10 months? DC won't be around long and may not even fight at LHW again, if he beat Stipe, he'll push for a Brock fight before calling it a day I'd think and who knows when Jones will be back.

Maybe he even fancies himself against Gus and he's thinking this is a potential quick way to a title shot at LHW or Interim belt as mentioned above.

Fromvert wrote: »
    Would love to see Gus rip Rockhold's head off but if you're Rockhold and took a look up at LHW you'd think he'd fancy his chances against anyone outside of the big 3. Maybe he even fancies himself against Gus, although he likely doesn't want to fight DC but I did hear that he was training away from AKA more and more so maybe he's thinking this is a potential quick way to a title shot at LHW.

He probably sees himself fighting for an interim belt that will eventually become the full belt after DC retires and vacates. Unless JJ comes back there is no one else for DC to really fight at LHW. Maybe a Gus rematch but that's it.

Lukker- wrote: »
    He probably sees himself fighting for an interim belt that will eventually become the full belt after DC retires and vacates. Unless JJ comes back there is no one else for DC to really fight at LHW. Maybe a Gus rematch but that's it.

He has to fight Gus I think. He beat Jones in my opinion and he gave DC he's toughest fight besides Jones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

I know everyone likes to hate on Joe but come on man, early enough in the chat he says he is ranked number 1 and he doesn't see the point in looking below him, only above him. Gold or Jones was basically what he said. And he'd prefer to beat Jones than win a belt

Near the end of it when he wouldn't answer if he would fight someone other than Jones or DC, Joe tried to get him to say he'd fight someone else. Gus made it very clear hell only fight Jones or DC or for a belt if there not fighting

Not hating on Joe at all. I’m a big fan.

Gustafson says he’ll take a fight if the offer is right and it’s a meaningful fight.

Joe asked him if he’d take a main event slot on a FS1 card and he said he would if it’s a big enough fight.

He’s not limiting himself to Jones or DC at all and doesn’t come across like it. He knows there are other fights out there for him. If he was offered Rockhold at 205 he’d be all over it like a rash. Fight like that could co main a big PPV even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Don't get the Rockhold at 205 idea at all. Last three losses for him have been to Romero, Bisping and Belfort with only Romero looking to continue his career without a big payday retirement. How much does he really cut to make 185? Throw him in against Gustafson on a Fight Night Main Event, who's lying and says they won't tune in?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement