Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Yeah it's a solid promo. Usually the fan made ones are better but it'll be hard to beat that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Ah UFC 226 card looks tasty overall. Nice to get another one so soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I wonder what the odds are on one of the title fights falling apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I wonder what the odds are on one of the title fights falling apart.

Ah you should not of said that.

Looking forward to Holloway vs T-city more than the main event. Big fan of both men so hard to pick a winner but after seeing Ortegas stand up against Edgar i think he has the slight edge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I've suddenly become a Woodley fan after that mma hour interview. Usually sick to hear fighter talk about killing a man but I'll look past it. Looks like genuine beef here hope we see an aggressive woodley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

I've suddenly become a Woodley fan after that mma hour interview. Usually sick to hear fighter talk about killing a man but I'll look past it. Looks like genuine beef here hope we see an aggressive woodley

can't think of many fighters over the years who will have gained more fans than woodley up to that fight, even more so if he despatches colby

I hope he wins, not sure how it'll go down myself though
    usman beats either of them :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

mailburner wrote: »
    can't think of many fighters over the years who will have gained more fans than woodley up to that fight, even more so if he despatches colby

I hope he wins, not sure how it'll go down myself though
    usman beats either of them :p

How does Usman beat Woodley?

Can't see any of the current top guys beating woodley after what I seen in both Thompson fights. Think till v Uman would be a good fight now

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

How does Usman beat Woodley?

by outworking him for five

if woodley beats cc pretty well then it might be a tough task for usman but ive a feeling itll be close and think theres very little between the three of them
    more to do with the fact that I like usman as a fighter more than woodley :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Nik and Si. They have lots of crazy stuff like that.
    I watched it about 100 times last week. This is the original, some better angles and slo-mo here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Saw this online about a report on UFC 225.

Seems amazing if it did this low numbers. I thought CM Punk would draw a lot of casuals

"The UFC has struggled for pay-per-view buys — as it did Saturday, when an industry official said less than 150,000 purchased the Robert Whittaker-headlined card in Chicago"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Saw this online about a report on UFC 225.

Seems amazing if it did this low numbers. I thought CM Punk would draw a lot of casuals

"The UFC has struggled for pay-per-view buys — as it did Saturday, when an industry official said less than 150,000 purchased the Robert Whittaker-headlined card in Chicago"

UFC 216 (Ferguson V Lee) was predicted to have done 120,000 buys a few days after the event but actually did 200,000. I'd say something similar has happened here. It's too early to know, it takes about 3-4 weeks to really get the closest numbers. That being said despite all the money the UFC is making with their tv deals and being bought for 4 billion there is clearly an MMA fatigue going on as they struggle to break 200,000 for almost all of their ppvs with the exception of mega hyped, ultra stacked & known name packed shows. Too many interim belts, constant weight misses, late opponent changes, all fighters wearing the same Reebok clothing, too many fighters copying Conor & ppvs that are barely promoted would be the main reasons in my opinion. Though the UFC really don't seem that bothered about it at all, if they cared they would promote more but they don't for the most part. They are making billions regardless.

cliggg wrote: »
    They are making billions regardless.

Are they? I'd imagine the annual profit at the minute isn't anywhere near that. The 4bn purchase will take donkeys too pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm not surprised tbh. His first fight was a curiosity. People tuned in for the what-if aspect. But that abysmal shuffle across the octagon before whiffing a punch really told most people everything they needed to know.

Was also PPV boxing on the same night.
    Are they? I'd imagine the annual profit at the minute isn't anywhere near that. The 4bn purchase will take donkeys too pay off.

Total revenue is around $500-600m. With profit/EBITDA around $125-150m (25%).
    So yeah, it'd take a few years to make a billion, yet alone billions.

Well I meant from their ESPN deal which starts next year. 1.5 billion over 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

Mellor wrote: »
    But that abysmal shuffle across the octagon before whiffing a punch really told most people everything they needed to know

You mean the Galloping Crab Punch. I'm backing that to become the technique of 2019, replacing the highly esteemed calf kick in Joe Rogan's lexicon

Well I meant from their ESPN deal which starts next year. 1.5 billion over 5 years.
    That's revenue though, not profit. Nobody is making billions from the UFC any time soon,

That's revenue though, not profit. Nobody is making billions from the UFC any time soon,
    True but they have billions coming in in spite of consistently average ppv sales & low ratings for fight nights is my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Looks like Smullen is getting a shot in the UFC after all, one of the lads stuck up a pic of a UFC poster with him on it against some chap called Pena, with a fro

• Advertisement

True but they have billions coming in in spite of consistently average ppv sales & low ratings for fight nights is my point.

But they probably don't really. The revenue is a less than a billion a year so take all the cuts out of that - expenses, tax etc and you're left with a fraction of that. After they take their dividends, they've to service the debt they used to buy the thing in the first place. Nobody has billions coming in at all.

It's probably profitable, but by no means massively so, on a relative scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Looks like Smullen is getting a shot in the UFC after all, one of the lads stuck up a pic of a UFC poster with him on it against some chap called Pena, with a fro

link?

Tazzimus wrote: »

Good stuff. He obviously impressed enough in training... or Conor had a word, either way hopefully he makes the most of the chance.

Let's all send a bunch of bananas and a hape of isotonic drinks to SBG Concorde so he doesn't have cramps issues this time!

Good stuff. He obviously impressed enough in training... or Conor had a word, either way hopefully he makes the most of the chance.

Let's all send a bunch of bananas and a hape of isotonic drinks to SBG Concorde so he doesn't have cramps issues this time!
    I'm sure he'll appreciate a crate of lucozade :)
    Wonder what changed Dana's mind on him. Happy out though, Richie is the dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭rob316

120,000 buys only for 225. It was a great card but just shows none of them are a draw, they desperately need McGregor or the next big thing. McGregor is a guaranteed 1 million buys, his next fight will be so hyped it could even be 2 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

rob316 wrote: »
    120,000 buys only for 225. It was a great card but just shows none of them are a draw, they desperately need McGregor or the next big thing. McGregor is a guaranteed 1 million buys, his next fight will be so hyped it could even be 2 million.

God, that’s horrific. And Punk would have brought a good amount of those buys too you’d imagine.

With no more Ronda, Jones out indefinitely and the Conor situation, they really have no one of note.

I wonder how much they are offering GSP and Nate for that fight.

I can see the two lads making a fortune off of it and laughing off into retirement.

How much did GSP Bisping sell ? It's getting easier every day to watch these events in HD for free.

• Advertisement

But they probably don't really. The revenue is a less than a billion a year so take all the cuts out of that - expenses, tax etc and you're left with a fraction of that. After they take their dividends, they've to service the debt they used to buy the thing in the first place. Nobody has billions coming in at all.

It's probably profitable, but by no means massively so, on a relative scale.
    Actually I just looked it up and I was getting it confused with the new WWE deal. Ugh my brain is mush. Yes my figures were off but my mushbrain and I stand by the rest of what I said! :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement