Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Anyone listen to the Rogan/Firas podcast, was expecting better and not the Firas Philosophy hour that it became.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭xtal191

Fromvert wrote: »
    The MMA Hour will be back on mmafighting starting Monday but different. Luke Thomas will host and it'll be two hours, said it'll be a mix of his Monday Morning Analyst (which is quite good), interviews and his live chat that he does on Wednesdays.

I watch both of his shows a lot more than I would the old MMA Hour so I'll be watching.

Thats great, Luke Thomas knows a hell of a lot more about mma than Helwani

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

He probably won't pull the same guests as Helwani was able to. Fighters knew it was a huge deal to even get on Helwani's show, he is probably more famous than 80% of the fighters on the roster. I've seen him at events get absolutely mobbed, it's crazy considering he's only a journalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Wandy v quintion 4 in september 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Fromvert wrote: »
    Anyone listen to the Rogan/Firas podcast, was expecting better and not the Firas Philosophy hour that it became.

I live in hope that one day one of Rogan’s MMA shows will actually focus on MMA.

I have no idea why he started naming them differently as 99% of the time they just go off on his usual podcast tangent after about 4 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Paully D wrote: »
    I live in hope that one day one of Rogan’s MMA shows will actually focus on MMA.

I have no idea why he started naming them differently as 99% of the time they just go off on his usual podcast tangent after about 4 minutes.

Big John's was pretty much MMA throughout.
    Danaher was the BJJ hour.
    had high hopes for Firas.

I give most of them a swerve though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Mellor wrote: »
    Big John's was pretty much MMA throughout.
    Danaher was the BJJ hour.
    had high hopes for Firas.

I give most of them a swerve though

Have to say I really enjoyed Kevin Lees' one a few months back. Stuck mostly to MMA too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I seen jimmy smith suggested losing a point for missing weight. What yer thoughts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

dave1982 wrote: »
    I seen jimmy smith suggested losing a point for missing weight. What yer thoughts

Not enough punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Interesting take on it. The weigh in could be considered Rd 1 of the fight I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Gegard Moussasi vs Rory Mcdonald for the middlweight bellator title in septemeber

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I've been saying it for years but weigh them getting in to the cage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

No way. Will just have people walking into the cage dehydrated. Asking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

People would just step in to the cage at their most vulnerable in that case. Deaths would be frequent.

And how about one of the main event misses weight by 5lbs? Sorry folks make your way to the exits the main event is cancelled goodnight and God bless.

No chance. There's no positives to that idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

I like this mainly for title fights and main events but I think they should lose half their purse along with that

gotta say I felt for romero giving he lost out by only 1/5 of a pound but rules are rules I guess

then you have till ffs

Not enough punishment.
    Docking a point is a huge punishment. It means they typically have to win 3 rounds out of 3 (or 4 rounds out of 5). I'd be interested to look at the misses for this year and see how that would have changed things.
    And people on here have been explaining for years why that's a terrible idea. It makes the situation considerable worse for the fighters safety - which should be the main objective here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭smilerf

I would have a 3 tier way in with the first 2 being private. Say 8 days 4 days before the event at each weigh in they have to be a certain weight or lose 20% each time. The final weigh in the night before the must be within the limit or lose another 10 %

smilerf wrote: »
    I would have a 3 tier way in with the first 2 being private. Say 8 days 4 days before the event at each weigh in they have to be a certain weight or lose 20% each time. The final weigh in the night before the must be within the limit or lose another 10 %

The current process includes weigh-ins during the week leading up to the fight.
    Fighters get checked when they arrive for fight week and have to be within a certain limit. Then they get monitored during the week depending on how they are progressing.

I'm not sure that they should fine them for being behind schedule though. It's safer to a fighter to be dehydrated for as short as time as possible. If two fighter cut from 172 to 155, one over 8 days and the other over 5 days. The latter should be penalised imo. The point of the check weigh-ins to flag guys who need monitoring.
    Max Holloway says he always starts fight week heavier, but has never missed weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭VW 1

Rogan spoke with someone recently on the podcast who mentioned that they use hydration tests in One FC which is potentially something that could work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Holloway has missed weight. He just did so few months ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Beersmith wrote: »
    I wouldn't count that shambles of an event as missing weight. Plus it was doctors that stopped him, he didn't miss weight, he wasn't even supposed to be fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I wouldn’t mind weigh ins an hour before with hydration tests

Beersmith wrote: »
    He took a fight on short notice and couldn't make the weight in the timeframe. Not remotely relevant.
    Lukker- wrote: »
    I wouldn’t mind weigh ins an hour before with hydration tests

I'd be fine with that too if there was a reliable hydration test. But I'm not sure if there is.
    One FC use specific gravity urine test. Which is indicates hydration normally, but when somebody has been drinking litres of water a day to flush out their system - I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,688 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Machida signed for Bellator

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

cletus wrote: »

Em, no. That's three and a half years old. And public knowledge. He fought James Gallagher recently.

Lyota is joining Bellator.

#news

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

Apologies. I googled 'Lyoto Machida signs for Bellator", and that was the first link.

I assume med the poster saw this and misunderstood.

I have subsequently seen Ariel's tweet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

A good deal for both parties. In other bellator related news Michael Chandlers contract is soon to be up. Would love to see him in the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,688 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

ricero wrote: »
    A good deal for both parties. In other bellator related news Michael Chandlers contract is soon to be up. Would love to see him in the UFC.

He ain’t getting past USADA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Singapore card been great so far

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement